BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    I'll look out the link later. A survey was done through Queens was published today

One of the questions was on the level of trust that the public had in each 'player'

Trust in the UK government is at 4%

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,686

I'll look out the link later. A survey was done through Queens was published today

One of the questions was on the level of trust that the public had in each 'player'

Trust in the UK government is at 4%

Seems quite high, considering...
  • tailwindhome
    Apologies. That was fake news from me. Trust in the UK government actually rose. From 5% to 6%

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • briantrumpet

Apologies. That was fake news from me. Trust in the UK government actually rose. From 5% to 6%

A 20% rise in trust in the government.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

What is the trust in dup?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,228

🎶What was the f@cking poooooiiiint🎵🎶
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484

🎶What was the f@cking poooooiiiint🎵🎶
    The point was to harness vaguely eurosceptic sentiment as a vehicle to become Prime Minister.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    It's the new UKCA certification that I'm enjoying at the moment.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    I read some comments by one truck driver about the whole problem. Apparently, some companies employed drivers directly and are currently not having many problems. Other companies relied on agencies for drivers and this is where the problem is as the agencies no longer have the same supply of cheap labour. These companies are now considering hiring directly, but due to the shortage, they are struggling to hire especially as they only want to pay the same rates as before.

He was a fan of refining some of existing rules.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    For anybody who ever worried about Chinese companies dodging VAT they will be pleased to know that the EU is implementing a new system that will stop this practise.

Of course this will be bad news for any company in a 3rd country that sells low value goods directly to EU customers
  • TheBigBean
    April export figures similar to March's. 2% down on 2019, but still affected by the pandemic.

https://www.cityam.com/uk-to-eu-exports-rise-to-near-pre-brexit-levels/
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864

April export figures similar to March's. 2% down on 2019, but still affected by the pandemic.

One assumes this is on the new basis that precludes like for like comparisons. It will be interesting to see what numbers the RoI and EU report
  • TheBigBean
    edited July 2021

One assumes this is on the new basis that precludes like for like comparisons. It will be interesting to see what numbers the RoI and EU report
    I posted an article about the differences. ONS are very high up my list of people I trust.

The reason they are comparing to 2019 figures is that they don't think 2021 are meaningful. They qualify everything in a way that I dream journalists would.

City AM could obviously be misrepresenting it, but I can't be bothered to make pretty graphs from ONS this time.
  • tailwindhome
    900 employed on the TSS system processing customs documents between GB and NI

Lol

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

Lol

900 jobs? this should be celebrated. Brexit-dividend!
  • rick_chasey

Lol

Can we mock the “bonfire of EU red tape” people please
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,156

Lol

Coming to a sector near you. Should be good for business?
    https://telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/05/15/treasury-prepares-bonfire-eu-red-tape/
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

Lol

Oh yeah, but we (now they're) doing sweet FA all day..

They need about 300
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean

Lol

Isn't that literally EU red tape?

Yes, I know it didn't exist before Brexit.
  • briantrumpet

Lol

Random fact: most 'red tape' (as used in Whitehall) was woven in Wirksworth. How British is that? https://gowirksworth.com/sample-pages/history/ - you can still see the mill where it was all made.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    Just had to return a parcel to Italy. Jesus. Three copies of a proforma invoice and a Washington convention declaration. Brexit bonus is that I'll let someone else have the hassle if I can.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Got off lightly to be honest. Only 1 convention?

Lightweight!

;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey

Lol

Wasn't really a bonfire was it?
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

Lol

Coming to a sector near you. Should be good for business?
    https://telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/05/15/treasury-prepares-bonfire-eu-red-tape/
    So I was talking to someone senior in the industry about this and they were praying that this sort of thing didn't happen as they cover both the UK and continental Europe, so all divergence does is create double the administrative work load.

So it's not as simple as "fewer regs, better".

There is also of course the question of whether the rules that being changed or removed are sensible or not. The fact the FCA, who are generally better than their continental counterparts, have asked industry to spot the regulatory opportunities for them suggests that material changes aren't that likely.

After all, the FCA was very much the leader on EU FS regulation. No-one took BAFIN seriously even before Wirecard.
  • briantrumpet
    Hmm, that's curious, business leaders don't like home-grown UK red tape any more than EU red tape. Maybe the EU wasn't the problem after all...

"Whilst Brexit promised less red tape, these reforms go completely against that commitment,” says Jonathan Fisher QC of the firm Bright Line Law.

“Accountants and auditors will be faced with additional regulatory requirements that could stifle growth as much more time will be spent meeting these new measures, which will increase the cost to clients."

“Now that we have left the EU there is the opportunity for a UK domestic definition of PIEs [public interest entities] to include larger firms currently excluded and a far more proportionate approach for smaller, simpler organisations,” BSA’s Fieth adds.

Among the most controversial proposals in the White Paper is a plan to impose fines and bans on directors for inaccuracies in their companies’ accounts. Ministers hope that ensuring directors have “skin in the game” will improve financial reporting and controls.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/07/08/businesses-rebel-against-audit-reforms-threaten-brexit-freedoms/
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484

Hmm, that's curious, business leaders don't like home-grown UK red tape any more than EU red tape. Maybe the EU wasn't the problem after all...

"Whilst Brexit promised less red tape, these reforms go completely against that commitment,” says Jonathan Fisher QC of the firm Bright Line Law.

“Accountants and auditors will be faced with additional regulatory requirements that could stifle growth as much more time will be spent meeting these new measures, which will increase the cost to clients."

“Now that we have left the EU there is the opportunity for a UK domestic definition of PIEs [public interest entities] to include larger firms currently excluded and a far more proportionate approach for smaller, simpler organisations,” BSA’s Fieth adds.

Among the most controversial proposals in the White Paper is a plan to impose fines and bans on directors for inaccuracies in their companies’ accounts. Ministers hope that ensuring directors have “skin in the game” will improve financial reporting and controls.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/07/08/businesses-rebel-against-audit-reforms-threaten-brexit-freedoms/
    F*** business (except for close personal friends) continues.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

I am a company director and I would vote against this. Why set up your business in a limited company model to then risk all the downsides of sole ownership. Much better to let directors do what they want with impunity
  • Stevo_666

That's an odd view from someone who thinks that ever more regulation of these nasty feral companies is a good thing.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

F*** business (except for close personal friends) continues.
    That is the Cake Stop view, it would seem.