Shimano EW-WU111 Di2 Wireless Unit Installation

ibr17xvii
ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
I got Di2 a few months ago & to keep the costs down I didn't bother with the wireless unit but I'm now thinking I might add it into the system.

However after watching GPLama's YT video & reading a few bits online it seems they have a habit of bricking the system. The sticking point seems to be when you connect to the unit initially it updates the firmware of the unit itself (which can only be done by BT & not with a PC), it then fails after 10% which then bricks the system & you have to start unplugging everything, disconnecting the battery etc which obviously I want to avoid. There doesn't seem to be a way of updating the firmware on the unit before you install it unless I'm missing something. Also read not to change the passcode from six zeros initially as this can cause problems?

Would just like some responses from anyone who has installed the unit, some best practices so it doesn't stuff everything up & where did you put it? Don't think inside the handlebars is an option for me so it would have to be somewhere at the front under the stem near the junction box or in the seatpost but I have also read that installation inside the frame can mean the signal is sometimes not the best.

All tips & tricks gratefully received.

TIA.

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    It’s not too bad. IIRC, connect it to E-TUBE via a pc and all is good. Once it’s upgraded, it all works fine. Absolutely no issue with mine.
  • ibr17xvii
    johngti said:

It’s not too bad. IIRC, connect it to E-TUBE via a pc and all is good. Once it’s upgraded, it all works fine. Absolutely no issue with mine.

So you installed it & then connected it to E-Tube to update that way rather than over Bluetooth with no issues?
  • johngti
    First time, yeah. It’s been fine wirelessly since then
  • ibr17xvii
    johngti said:

Maybe that's the secret then - don't connect to it via BT initially, do a wired update on PC & then connect to it wirelessly.
  • johngti
    ibr17xvii said:

johngti said:

Maybe that's the secret then - don't connect to it via BT initially, do a wired update on PC & then connect to it wirelessly.
    Sounds like a plan!
  • ibr17xvii
    I didn’t think that would work TBH as I’m sure Shane Miller said you had to have the (very expensive) standalone Shimano tool to update & diagnose problems with individual components.
  • johngti
    Nope. Just the normal get up does it, promise
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    The diagnostic unit is the SM-PCE1 or 02, this is quite expensive to buy but if you have the charger unit SM-BCR2 this will allow you to connect to the system as a whole, update and modify. I fitted the WU101 to my system and as previously mentioned had to connect with a PC and the BCR2 to make sure the WU unit was connected. As mine was inline with the rear derailleur both did not show up. Confirmed wires fully in and all was ok.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • ibr17xvii
    Thanks both, that seems like the way forward. Certainly worth a try.

Where have you put the unit, inside or outside the frame?
  • johngti
    Mines inside the frame
  • ibr17xvii
    johngti said:

Mines inside the frame

Much neater than having it at the front of the bike.

Not gonna lie I'm still wary........ :/
  • johngti
    All I can say is that I found it very easy. But honestly, it doesn’t add a lot so if you’re that worried don’t bother.
  • ibr17xvii
    johngti said:

All I can say is that I found it very easy. But honestly, it doesn’t add a lot so if you’re that worried don’t bother.

Yeah I get that.

There is the odd function that would come in handy such as the hidden buttons in the shifters & battery level but it’s not vital I have it.

Guess I need to work out if it’s worth potentially bricking the system for!
  • johngti
    You’re really not going to brick it. Mine died as expected when I first installed it. Connect it via a pc first time and all is good. I followed GP Llama’s instructions and job was a good ‘un
  • You'll be fine! The main thing that helps is: do not change the passkey before you've done the initial firmware update (some of these have to be updated using the mobile app).

If you have changed the passkey, go to your phone's bluetooth device list and 'forget' or 'delete' the EW-WU111. Otherwise it'll cache the old passkey and get confused when the WU111 comes back online mid-firmware update ;-)
    I run BetterShifting.com - Di2 help / tips / guides
  • ibr17xvii
    Thanks Terry.

As @johngti said the additional functions of the wireless unit are quite limited especially as a Wahoo user.

Having said that I just fancy having one but not at the expense of a gaining a singlespeed!

In your experience is it changing the passcode that seems to trigger the firmware update failure or is it just pot luck depending on what unit you get?
  • johngti
    ibr17xvii said:

Thanks Terry.

As @johngti said the additional functions of the wireless unit are quite limited especially as a Wahoo user.

Having said that I just fancy having one but not at the expense of a gaining a singlespeed!

In your experience is it changing the passcode that seems to trigger the firmware update failure or is it just pot luck depending on what unit you get?

Seriously, you're not going to end up with a single speed!
  • ibr17xvii
    johngti said:

ibr17xvii said:

Thanks Terry.

Seriously, you're not going to end up with a single speed!

Hahaha my luck says otherwise! :#
  • Changing the passcode on its own doesn't trigger a firmware update, but some of these units require a (mobile/bluetooth) firmware update before you can access/see them in the E-Tube desktop app.
    That, combined with E-Tube Project Mobile prompting the user to change the passkey, causes a lot of them to crap out during that initial update ;-)
    I run BetterShifting.com - Di2 help / tips / guides
  • Never had any issues with any I've installed .
    Personally I love the features as already said nothing groundbreaking ,having gears up in front is one I couldn't do without now along with changing Garmin screens with the hidden buttons
  • ibr17xvii

Changing the passcode on its own doesn't trigger a firmware update, but some of these units require a (mobile/bluetooth) firmware update before you can access/see them in the E-Tube desktop app.
    That, combined with E-Tube Project Mobile prompting the user to change the passkey, causes a lot of them to censored out during that initial update ;-)

Just seems to be pot luck.

Hopefully I can lay my hands on one that is up to date straight out of the box.

Now just to find it at a decent price.........
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    edited July 2021
    I’ve installed two on my bikes and had no issues. Too tip is to wrap it in some bubble wrap or closed cell foam (the stuff they pack new bikes in) and secure that with a small cable tie to hold the wrap/ foam on. If you then stuff that into the frame (I put mine in the seat tube with a short cable from the seat post mounted battery) it will stop it rattling.
  • ibr17xvii

I’ve installed two on my bikes and had no issues. Too tip is to wrap it in some bubble wrap or closed cell foam (the stuff they pack new bikes in) and secure that with a small cable tie to hold the wrap/ foam on. If you then stuff that into the frame (I put mine in the seat tube with a short cable from the seat post mounted battery) it will stop it rattling.

I thought that would be best practice but didn’t know if that would make the signal weaker with it also being inside the frame.

Good to know it worked for you.