Packable waterproof

As per the title I'm looking for suggestions for a packable emergency rain proof. It must pack down small, be a bright colour and be durable. I'm prepared to sacrifice breathability for water resistance.

I have no budget in mind, I like to buy once

Comments

• The goretex shakedry jackets are fully waterproof (you do not need to reproof them as the material itself is waterproof, rather than using a coating) and pack down into a small neat bundle that will easily fit a jersey pocket. A few other companies utilise the material in their jackets such as the Castelli Idro. They are not cheap but I have one and it is better than any other rain jacket I have owned, I just pack it into my pocket every time I go out on the bike.
  • katani
    katani Posts: 133
    edited July 2021

The goretex shakedry jackets are fully waterproof (you do not need to reproof them as the material itself is waterproof, rather than using a coating) and pack down into a small neat bundle that will easily fit a jersey pocket. A few other companies utilise the material in their jackets such as the Castelli Idro. They are not cheap but I have one and it is better than any other rain jacket I have owned, I just pack it into my pocket every time I go out on the bike.

But they are all black colour. The Gore C5 has hi viz yellow accents on the sleeves though. The non-stretching one packs in to a bundle the size of a large apple, but the ones with stretch inserts will make a slightly larger bundle. Either will fit into a jersey pocket. The fabric waterproof properties don't have an indefinite life though as my first R5 started leaking water in quite heavily after a year of almost daily use. It got sent back to the retailer and after 2 weeks I got a new one under the warranty. When new and for some time after, the fabric is fully hydrofobic indeed. One can't wear a backpack on top of it though.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    Endura FS260 Pro Adrenaline Race Cape Jacket in hi viz yellow or hi viz blue.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    I looked a while back, my conclusion was that they very good ones are expensive and black.

The cheap ones are not worth it - just tear 3 holes in a bin bag.

I ended up with an Endura FS260 as above in hi vis yellow.

So far I’m happy with it - but the cuffs are tight for getting my ha SS through - just a sizing comment in case you have big hands.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I have had an Idro for years; nothing beats it for keeping you dry, and it's proven remarkably durable. Before that, the Endura FS260 Pro race cape was my go to, but they're nowhere near as water resistant as the Shakedrys, and don't last as long. I'm not too worried about the colour as I run a Varia rear light all the time and a Cateye Volt in hyper-constant mode when it's dull, and IME, drivers who are not looking won't see you even if you are lit up like a Christmas tree.