Chain too short query

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
Quick query, just replaced my chain but the replacement is too short by 2 links (ordered chain with 120 but they sent 114). Apart from not being able to use some of the bigger cassette sprockets with the big chain ring, are there any other issues when running the chain too short?

Cheers

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    just chuck a couple of KMC quick links in to make it as long as you like.

Alts, LBS will have offcuts from new chains they have fitted so grab some and fit using above same said aforementioned quick link.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • redvision
    Will do when I'm next in the lbs, in the meantime though, ok to ride it?
    (Have a TT tomorrow so just want peace of mind).
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Reading this, I feel quite pleased with myself for always keeping the offcuts... just in case.

Never needed em though.
  • redvision
    Yeh I usually do the same but for some reason I didn't last time :s
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Shorten the chainstays.
  • redvision
    It's the bloody granny gear 11-32 cassette which needs the longer chain. Was going to change to an 11-25 like my other bike but that means changing the rear mech and with todays prices I decided just to leave it as it is.

Just annoying that the replacement chain was mislabelled and didn't realise until I fitted it - and they won't accept a return as it's been fitted. FFS!
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited June 2021
    redvision said:

Will do when I'm next in the lbs, in the meantime though, ok to ride it?
    (Have a TT tomorrow so just want peace of mind).

If by two links short you mean the chain is one inch short, then depending upon your TT bike's big ring size and cassette range, not using big-big should be ok.

However, hopefully the course terrain does not put you on a slight incline where ordinarily you might be tempted to use big-big to keep the power up instead of switching to the small ring for a very short spell!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • redvision
    It's a road bike I'm using tomorrow, just my training bike as the course is on a road they have just put surface dressing down on, so no way I'm using my best bike. It is a hilly route though.

The chain is 2 links short. Seems to shift perfectly on the stand, but not tried big front ring with the larger rear sprockets. Can't recall ever using that combo though, so hoping it will be ok to use it tomorrow, then I won't need it again until I get some extra links.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    why would you have to change a mech to go down cassette size?

just lob the 25 on a zooooooom along and win it for us.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • redvision
    MattFalle said:

why would you have to change a mech to go down cassette size?

just lob the 25 on a zooooooom along and win it for us.

Because its the medium cage mech and didn't think it was compatible. Having just looked though, the minimum is 28 so when I come to need a new cassette that will solve that problem