It's been 8 years. Never forget.

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,931

Came up on my FB memories

Ironically I'd captioned it "Australian plan to thwart Mark Cavendish"
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    Didn’t they change the finish on the fly and end up with a massive crash
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    neonriver said:

Yes.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    neonriver said:

Carnage in Corsica on the first stage. (what's with these first stages?)
    And guess what? Tony Martin and Geraint Thomas were involved then too. It's the one where he broke his pelvis, but made it to Paris.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918

neonriver said:

Yes.
    Except they didn't change the finish. They were going to, then managed to get the bus clear and kept the originl finish line.

Was it Bakelants who won in a break ?
  • neonriver said:

Yes.
    Except they didn't change the finish. They were going to, then managed to get the bus clear and kept the originl finish line.

Was it Bakelants who won in a break ?
    Think it was Stage 2 for Bakelants after going solo from a break and getting in yellow.
    The bus stage (1) was won by Kittel. Seem to recall it being a reduced bunch amid the chaos
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804

neonriver said:

Carnage in Corsica on the first stage. (what's with these first stages?)
    And guess what? Tony Martin and Geraint Thomas were involved then too. It's the one where he broke his pelvis, but made it to Paris.

How many crashes in the gutter has Tony Martin had
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804

neonriver said:

Yes.
    They had timing gear at 3km iirc that or the bonus sprint point
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    Didn't they tell the riders it was going to finish at 3km, then change it back to the original finish when they only had about 10km to go or something?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    Cav at the time said that with 5km to go, they were being told the finish would be at the 3km point, but then with 4km to go they were told it was changed back to the actual finish line. Classic tour stuff.
  • Thanks to Cosmo and HTRWW, one of my overriding memories of the stage was this flying boat

• above_the_cows

Cav at the time said that with 5km to go, they were being told the finish would be at the 3km point, but then with 4km to go they were told it was changed back to the actual finish line. Classic tour stuff.

Omnishambles
  • above_the_cows

Thanks to Cosmo and HTRWW, one of my overriding memories of the stage was this flying boat

Didn't Froome also crash in the neutral zone? That's my other memory.