Installing Shimano SPD SL Pedals/cleats on spin bike

Hello,

I've ordered a pair of Shimano SPD SL RS500 pedals and road cycling shoes for my new spin bike. I'm new to SPD SL pedals and cleats.

I've read conflicting advice re: grease/anti-freeze... to use when installing new pedals. Could anyone give me some guidance please? Would a cheap tube of Lithium grease do or do I need some proper bike grease? I'd have no other use for it apart from the spin bike pedals and adjustment knob I suppose.

The tools provided with the bike weren't particularly great. I had no problem installing the original toe-cage pedals (unlike the seat :'( ) with the provided spanner but I've never fitted SPD SL pedals before. Should I invest in a pedal spanner?

I know nothing about adjusting the pedals/cleats tension and info I've found online is not particularly clear to this newbie :# . Any tips would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for your help.

Comments

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    lithium grease will be fine. Shouldnt need a pedal spanner there is usually a hex bolt on the pedal spindle to allow to use an allen key. Dont overtighten them. Tight but not immovable. just leave the tension on the pedals alone for the moment. Dont forget to grease the cleat bolts
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    If I'm not mistaken Shimano components usually come with an instruction sheet. Why don't you try reading that first? You might learn more than you'll learn on this site.
  • Spinster
    Spinster Posts: 7
    amrushton said:

lithium grease will be fine. Shouldnt need a pedal spanner there is usually a hex bolt on the pedal spindle to allow to use an allen key. Dont overtighten them. Tight but not immovable. just leave the tension on the pedals alone for the moment. Dont forget to grease the cleat bolts

Thanks very much for your tips, @amrushton. Appreciate it! I'd made a note re: greasing cleats bolts but I'd have forgotten. Thanks for the reminder :)
  • Spinster
    dennisn said:

If I'm not mistaken Shimano components usually come with an instruction sheet. Why don't you try reading that first? You might learn more than you'll learn on this site.

There's nothing I like more than unhelpful and patronising "advice". For your info, I did download 3 different instruction sheets off the Shimano website. I have watched a number of Youtube videos and read as much as I could about it before posting my question.
    I value cyclists' experience and knowledge. I understand that opinions differ and wanted some suggestions from people on this forum, which I have just joined. So thanks for the welcome, Dennisn :(
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Remember that pedals have different threads on the left pedal.

And I agree with amrushton, do NOT overtighten.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    normally for outside use you'd use copperslip for things that don't move, normal moly from a big can from monsieur bricolage/motor factor for things that do move.

no need for trendy greases from people who sell it as bike specific magic lube of magic in tiny tubes for a brazilian pounds.

as you're indoor, normal grease, do them up so they tight then 1/2 turn.

no need for FT or RFT.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    dennisn said:

Helpful as ever, Dennis.

Go ride your bike, dude.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Spinster
    edited June 2021
    deleted

• Spinster
    edited June 2021
    navrig2 said:

Remember that pedals have different threads on the left pedal.

And I agree with amrushton, do NOT overtighten.

Thank you :) My pedals are also differently threaded.
  • Spinster
    MattFalle said:

normally for outside use you'd use copperslip for things that don't move, normal moly from a big can from monsieur bricolage/motor factor for things that do move.

no need for trendy greases from people who sell it as bike specific magic lube of magic in tiny tubes for a brazilian pounds.

as you're indoor, normal grease, do them up so they tight then 1/2 turn.

no need for FT or RFT.

Thanks @MattFalle, that's very helpful. I spent a fair amount of time looking at different types of grease from Shimano Premium to lithium/ceramic/teflon... They can be really pricey.

I'll make a note of the tension, ty!
  • dennisn
    edited June 2021
    Spinster said:

amrushton said:

Thanks very much for your tips, @amrushton. Appreciate it! I'd made a note re: greasing cleats bolts but I'd have forgotten. Thanks for the reminder :)
  • dennisn
    Spinster said:

dennisn said:

There's nothing I like more than unhelpful and patronising "advice". For your info, I did download 3 different instruction sheets off the Shimano website. I have watched a number of Youtube videos and read as much as I could about it before posting my question.
    I value cyclists' experience and knowledge. I understand that opinions differ and wanted some suggestions from people on this forum, which I have just joined. So thanks for the welcome, Dennisn :(
    Glad I could help.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Just a note of caution and may not apply to your spin bike but I was going to do this on my exercise bike and the pedal threads were a different size to normal pedals.

I think normal bike pedals are 9/16 but the ones on my exercise bike were 1/2. Just something to be aware of, may not apply to you as mine is a very old machine.
  • Spinster
    womack said:

Just a note of caution and may not apply to your spin bike but I was going to do this on my exercise bike and the pedal threads were a different size to normal pedals.

I think normal bike pedals are 9/16 but the ones on my exercise bike were 1/2. Just something to be aware of, may not apply to you as mine is a very old machine.

Thanks for this @womack. It's actually an important point. I found out about this only because another customer had left a review on the website I bought the spin bike from and mentioned his bike had 1/2" pedal threads so I made sure the Shimano SPD SL pedals I got were compatible with my spin bike. Mine is 9/16" but the older model is 1/2".

I'm sure your comment will be helpful to anyone looking to replace their pedals. I scoured many websites/ old forum posts... to gather the info I needed :)

I've installed the pedals with no problem. But now trying to understand how to set up the cleats properly, which is doing my head in! :smiley:

Hope you can find the right pedals for your bike.