TDF 2021:- Stage 2, Perros-Guirec > Mûr-de-Bretagne Guerlédan 183.5 km **Spoilers**

Stage 2: Perros-Guirec > Mûr-de-Bretagne Guerlédan 183.5 km

27- 6 - 2021
Start 12-10pm

Stage 2 of the Tour de France is a day of two halves. A first part allowing to appreciate the wild and unique beauty of the Côte de Granit rose, the second crammed with most of the six categorised climbs, including two ascents of the Mur-de-Bretagne.

That said, there’s relatively little in the way of flat roads between the start and the first climb at 72.8 kilometres. The riders then tackle a series of 4th category climbs: the Côte de Saint-Barbe (900 metres at 6.6%), Côte de Pordic (2.1 kilometres at 3.2%), Côte de Saint Brieuc (1 kilometre at 8%)
The last three climbs of the day, including the double Mur ascent, are packed together inside the last 20 kilometres.

Assuming the peloton starts the final climb in one piece, the gaps between the overall contenders should be relatively small. However, it is worth remembering that in 2018, this didn't happen, with both Tom Dumoulin and Romain Bardet having issues with their bikes and losing significant time as a result. That day, Daniel Martin attacked with around one kilometre to go and took the victory.

The Climbs.

Final Kilometres
The Mûr-de-Bretagne climb is 2 kilometres long. The ascent kicks in hard with the first 500 metres at 10.1% before it ‘mellows out’ to 9.5% in the following 500 metres. The next 500 metres go up at 5.5%, after which the last section is a false flat at 2.4%.

By now, we all know the hilltop finish in Mûr-de-Bretagne, as it has previously featured twice in the Tour de France.

Favourites stage 2 Tour de France 2021

***** Mathieu van der Poel, Julian Alaphilippe
**** Daniel Martin, Wout van Aert, Primož Roglič, Tadej Pogačar
*** Michael Woods, Sergio Higuita, Wilco Kelderman
** Bauke Mollema, Alexey Lutsenko, Alejandro Valverde
* Jack Haig, Dylan Teuns, David Gaudu, Pierre Latour

Perros-Guirec

Stage town for the 2nd time
Population: 7,260

Commune of 7,500 inhabitants, bordered by 12 km of coastline, alternately ports, rocks, creeks or large sandy beaches, Perros-Guirec has a distant past behind it. Artists, painters and writers frequented the inns of La Clarté and Ploumanac'h. One could meet Charles Le Goffic, Anatole Le Braz, Gabriel Vicaire. The landscapes of Perros-Guirec inspired and became a laboratory of ideas for many painters.

Perros-Guirec has already hosted the Tour de France in 1995, for the start of a stage won in a sprint in Vitré by Mario Cippolini and at the end of which Laurent Jalabert had taken the Yellow Jersey thanks to the bonuses gained on the way, one year to the day after his fall in Armentières.
Winner of three stages of the Tour de France in 1961 and 1963, Guy Ignolin had settled near Perros-Guirec, where he died in 2011.

Pink Granite Coast
In the department of Côtes-d'Armor, between Trébeurden and Perros-Guirec, it owes its name to the gigantic granite blocks that emerge from the moor, along the coastline. It is A kingdom of small creeks with white sand and turquoise water. Three coastlines in the world have this particularity of pink granite, resulting from the mixture of three minerals, mica, feldspar and quartz: one is located in China, the other in Corsica and the last one in Brittany. This natural geological curiosity deserves more than one visit. From east to west, the route starts at the rocks of Ploumanac'h in Perros-Guirec, a former fishing port that has become a seaside resort, with its two marinas and three large beaches.

On the road
Km 93
Saint-Quay-Portrieux (Pop : 3,000)
The Bay of Saint-Brieuc has the largest natural deposit of scallops in France with 150,000 hectares. Every three years, Saint-Quay-Portrieux organises a scallop festival. Coquilles -st-Jacqus being the renowned, worldwide dish.

Mûr-de-Bretagne Guerlédan

Stage site for the 4th time
Population: 2,560 for Guerlédan

In ten years, the Côte de Mûr or Côte de Menez-Hiez has definitively become a classic of the Tour de France and has confirmed its nickname of "Breton Alpe d'Huez". Since 2011, and the prophetic victory of Cadel Evans announcing his final victory in that edition, the Tour has twice come back to Mûr to crown punchers like Alexis Vuillermoz (2015) and Dan Martin (2018). It was however during its first appearance in the Tour, in 1947, that Côte de Mûr acquired its reputation: René Vietto suffered a terrible failure there during the longest time-trial in the history of the Grande Boucle between Vannes and Saint-Brieuc (139 km) and lost his Yellow Jersey as well as that edition, finally won by Jean Robic.
During the 1934 Tour, he was poised to be race leader after his team leader Antonin Magne crashed during stage 16. Vietto was unaware of Magne's situation; his advantage gave him the virtual race lead. A marshal on a motorcycle caught Vietto to inform him his captain was on the side of the road, with team-mate Lapébie ahead, and the other team-mates behind the yellow jersey. Vietto turned and rode back up the mountain into the descending riders (at the time, reversing course was legal, but is no longer so), to give Magne his bike. Magne mounted Vietto's bike and with Lapébie closed the gap to preserve his overall lead and win the Tour. A photograph shows Vietto sitting on a stone wall as the race passes.

Lake Guerlédan
Situated at the foot of Mûr de Bretagne, Lake Guerlédan is the largest lake in Brittany and extends over more than 13 km (approximately 300 ha). Entirely artificial, it came into being at the beginning of the 20th century with the construction of a hydroelectric dam at Mûr de Bretagne, on the course of the Blavet, to which Guerlédan refers, meaning "wide stream". The power plant was the first in France to produce electricity.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,225
    How can you see past JA for this after yesterday?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,199

Well given the crash reduced field yesterday there could be a couple of other finishers that were held up but uninjured.

Dan Martin maybe?

MvdP was too far back at the foot of the climb, so maybe he's got something to bring if his positioning is better today.

And if someone goes up and over on the Mur the first time JA might have to burn his support off early.

He tends to go well in streaks though, and gets a bit of extra oomph out of the yellow, so I'd still put my money on him.

Asgreen will be interesting to watch today, BTW. If he finishes with the leaders he's got a shot at yellow in the TT. It's slim, but it's real and he knows it's there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Any information on the weather forecast please?
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021
    Drizzle at start, dry at finish, wind builds to 30kph from south as the day goes on (so cross-head likely)
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    I'm going to stick my neck out and predict a distinct reduction in Valverde well wishers.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213

Depends how deep he went, it was a big effort plus no-one is letting him go early this time.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    The couple of km from the village into the climb are from SSE, so if there's a bit of W to the wind it could make the fight for position interesting.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    There don't seem to be any DNSs (other than Soler)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Suspect a few are seeing how it goes. I wouldn't be surprised to see some abandon though
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Hirschi will "try to start", as per his team. I'm not a medic, but this doesn't look promising...

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,127
    Assuming that's footage from yesterday, hope he's not still holding it like that today.
  • Lanterne_Rogue

Assuming that's footage from yesterday, hope he's not still holding it like that today.

I don't know - are booths like that (behind him) common at the finish zone? Can't remember noticing anything like that previously at the end of stages.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,127
    edited June 2021

I don't know - are booths like that (behind him) common at the finish zone? Can't remember noticing anything like that previously at the end of stages.
    The white jersey Pog is wearing is one of those ones that zip up the back for podium use, isn't it? Sure he wouldn't wear a baggy one with a high neck like that for actually riding.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Ah, possibly, yeah. Good spot.
  • Pross
    I genuinely don't know how they get back on after crashes. I know they're professionals but that doesn't take away the pain they'll be in.

I had to ride back to HQ once after a heavy crash in a race (cut knee and fingers plus knock on the head) and even that was difficult. I avoided the bike for a week afterwards, these are carrying on racing with far worse injuries and having to keep up day in, day out until they recover.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Pross said:

I genuinely don't know how they get back on after crashes. I know they're professionals but that doesn't take away the pain they'll be in.

I had to ride back to HQ once after a heavy crash in a race (cut knee and fingers plus knock on the head) and even that was difficult. I avoided the bike for a week afterwards, these are carrying on racing with far worse injuries and having to keep up day in, day out until they recover.

I can understand it immediately after a crash, when the adrenaline's flowing and a lot of the secondary effects haven't yet kicked in, but yeah, climbing on the next day with a severe case of knack baffles me. Footage of Lawson Craddock screaming every time he went into a corner has stayed with me in particular. I mean, I admired the attitude, but I felt awkward joking about it on the LR thread.

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,599

Are booths like that (behind him) common at the finish zone?
    They're the pens the media stand in for the riders who have been on the podium to walk through. They'll ask the same question in 4 different languages
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Haha - Orla, analysing yesterday's stage in the warm up: "How about Geraint Thomas? He avoided the crashes, which in itself is a headline..."
  • Missed the pre race show due to getting confused by the rubbish user interface of the GCN app :|:D
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741

Missed the pre race show due to getting confused by the rubbish user interface of the GCN app :|:D

Oh they felt to need to discuss the fact that some idiots have blamed Tony Martin for yesterday's crash.

Anyway, we are orf and fortunately it's again Hatch in the chair, which hopefully means no screaming banshee for the finish.
  • rick_chasey

Missed the pre race show due to getting confused by the rubbish user interface of the GCN app :|:D

Oh they felt to need to discuss the fact that some idiots have blamed Tony Martin for yesterday's crash.

Anyway, we are orf and fortunately it's again Hatch in the chair, which hopefully means no screaming banshee for the finish.
    Are they alternating finales?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Bonus seconds on offer for the first time up the finish climb. Could make it interesting
  • Pross
    Lopez dropped already ;)

How much of a lead do we think DQS will give a break? My guess is not much more than 3 minutes.

Wind apparently NE rather than the SSE reported by Rick so may offer some opportunities.

Beautiful scenery today
  • Pross

Let me guess, he should have swerved to avoid it? You could almost see him measuring up his options and concluding he had a better chance of riding through a piece of cardboard than swerving into the middle of the bunch which was definitely the right choice.
  • blazing_saddles

Are they alternating finales?
    The usual format is guy who starts commentary finishes it, with the other having a long block in the middle.
    It worked really well yesterday, because Kirby wasn't around to blow the roof off my house when the crashes happened.

I thought Dan Lloyd was underused yesterday, but he is having to do The Breakaway as well.
  • blazing_saddles

Bonus seconds on offer for the first time up the finish climb. Could make it interesting

Same in 2018, when Geraint Thomas made a stealth move and pinched a couple of bonus seconds.
    We all know how that Tour panned out.....
  • Pross
    The big boys seem happy with a 4 man break and Schelling allowed to try to cross. B&B rider let loose now too.
  • Pross
    DQS now not happy for some reason and string it out again. This is going to hurt those suffering.
  • lettingthedaysgoby
    lettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,732
    edited June 2021
    Schelling going for the combativity award within the first few km
  • Pross
    Who is it keeps chasing him down? I assumed it was Cofidis but doesn't look like their jersey.