saturday swooping through the esses at seventy k

'ning

ride more volcanoes, visit more cafes, bask more rays
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Long ish run, then pack the camper and just the wife and I are off to Ludlow for the weekend 😎
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ciao

all good here, heading out with a couple of bods from work to do some, errr, nosing around at something somewhere.

then vino and calcio.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Off to Hobbledown Farm to see some animals and spend the day trying to stop two year old from screaming the place down and picking him up off the floor as he shouts no, no, no at me.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Sent the boy off for his first shift at the Ivy up in Wimbledon Village. 9-5. He's going to be knackered. General dogsbody and gopher. Some advantages to being 16, tall, skinny, with long lustrous hair after all.

Still, he got a job, which is great news. £9.01 per hour, 50 hours a week during the next few weeks because of the tennis, then presumably hours/shifts might reduce, but still, he has an actual contract and everything, so should be able to work part-time whilst at college.

Even better, because his bank account got frozen, his wages are being paid into our joint account. 🤣

In other news, it's Christmas! Well, covid delayed Christmas. MiL and partner are coming over for roast turkey and crackers etc. What larks...
  • elbowloh
    50 hours a week!

I've never been contracted/rostered for that long. I might have done that occasionally, but not as a minimum.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Sorry, mistype. 40 hours.

For a lazy ars*d 16 year old it's going to be quite a shock.

If they get him out front of house after a few weeks experience then tips as well. It seems their tronc only covers kitchen and FoH staff, not the porters/pot boys/cutlery polishers.

He has a long-term (about 9 months) gf. Having eaten up there last week, there's going to be some temptation. I'm sure he'll be an 😇. Maybe.
  • tlw1
    Feck ours get circa £5 at the local Star Wars pub
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Good to see H send his out into the world of work. Its a shame we don't have coal mines anymore.
    Wife has taken eldest for fitting her first pair of pointe shoes, she thinks she is spanking the bank account this close to the end of the month, so I beat her to it and bought some new wheels while she was out.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    I haven't read the rest because my jaw hit the table at £9 per hour.
    Uh?! I got barely £1 per hour in my first part time job (although I was 14) working like a bstard logging, shepherding, grass cutting, humping hay and straw bales by hand at a local castle and equestrian centre.
    Imagine how many hours it took for me to pay for the snooker table lights at £2 per hour.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • darkhairedlord
    pinno said:

Uh?! I got barely £1 per hour in my first part time job (although I was 14) working like a bstard logging, shepherding, grass cutting, humping hay and straw bales by hand at a local castle and equestrian centre.
    Imagine how many hours it took for me to pay for the snooker table lights at £2 per hour.

£1 an hour, lucky bugger. £25 a week.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,610
    pinno said:

That was pre-decimalisation though. Inflation and that.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Slowish start. Headed out at lunchtime to look at a better second car, preferably one with enough torque to take the skin off a rice pudding, which the current one struggles to do. Stropteen can now get insurance on a car for less than it costs to insure a hotel in Damascus, so we can get something with a bit more poke.

In other news, the codger who played bumper cars with a house the other day had a stroke at the wheel and is now in hospital getting looked after.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning folks,
    Traditional slow start was enjoyed, now relaxing for a moment.
    The Ivy in Wimbledon Village, very nice. Daughter gets taken to lunch there by her godfather, she thinks it's too posh thankfully. Lad starts his placement in a week, that's on £18k as well. Pretty good for a student placement, unfortunately the uni still charges some tuition even though there isn't any. One of them still charged 80% tuition for the placement year. I think that was on the south coast. Is that how DHL can afford new wheels at the end of the month?
    Off to the old dear's later, might do a bit of lounging first.
  • pinno

pinno said:

£1 an hour, lucky censored . £25 a week.
    When I were a lad...
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    elbowloh said:

Off to Hobbledown Farm to see some animals and spend the day trying to stop two year old from screaming the place down and picking him up off the floor as he shouts no, no, no at me.

Enjoy the go carts, you’re lucky I’m not there, I’d kick your &rse.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    hopkinb said:

Sent the boy off for his first shift at the Ivy up in Wimbledon Village. 9-5. He's going to be knackered. General dogsbody and gopher. Some advantages to being 16, tall, skinny, with long lustrous hair after all.

Still, he got a job, which is great news. £9.01 per hour, 50 hours a week during the next few weeks because of the tennis, then presumably hours/shifts might reduce, but still, he has an actual contract and everything, so should be able to work part-time whilst at

50% off for BBers?
  • darkhairedlord

Morning folks,
    Traditional slow start was enjoyed, now relaxing for a moment.
    The Ivy in Wimbledon Village, very nice. Daughter gets taken to lunch there by her godfather, she thinks it's too posh thankfully. Lad starts his placement in a week, that's on £18k as well. Pretty good for a student placement, unfortunately the uni still charges some tuition even though there isn't any. One of them still charged 80% tuition for the placement year. I think that was on the south coast. Is that how DHL can afford new wheels at the end of the month?
    Off to the old dear's later, might do a bit of lounging first.

I think we charge about £500 for placement year. That covers approval process, two visits to placement to check up how they are doing, assessment of placement report etc.
  • MattFalle
    Ciao

Sorry, skimmed through the above, so nocomment.

Work worked, doors knocked on, so to speak.

Few beers consumed, now watching La Course prior to calcio.
  • tlw1

And relax
  • pinno
    MattFalle said:

Ciao

Bashed any back doors in?

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

pinno said:

When I finished my five year apprenticeship as a mechanical fitter I went on to a £1 an hour 40 quid a week. F*ck I’ve never been as well off since.
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

MattFalle said:

Ciao

Bashed any back doors in?

Mk1 boot, size 10, straight through.

'kin 'ave it my son.
  • seanoconn
    tlw1 said:

And relax

Let the bonking begin! Don’t envy your wife, you must have amazing stamina.
  • pinno
    edited June 2021
    webboo said:

pinno said:

When I finished my five year apprenticeship as a mechanical fitter I went on to a £1 an hour 40 quid a week. F*ck I’ve never been as well off since.
    When I finished my engineering diploma, class mates were accepting jobs @ between £55 and £65 per week. I walked into IMI Cornelius and was taking home (after tax) £147 per week. I was happy as Larry (and smug) but the factory closed after 3 months.
    I've never recovered.
  • MattFalle
    I earned below minimum wage for stopping people from dying and putting my life on the line every day.

but at least i got free clothes.

• elbowloh
    When i finished uni i temped in an insurance office for a bit until i found a grad job. The grad job was about £16.5 grand a year. A lot of my mates who didn't go to uni earned more than me and didn't have student loans. They had all been going on holiday together in the summers while i was at uni, but i spent my summers working to pay for uni.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • webboo
    webboo said:

pinno said:

Before this I got £1 a week for my paper round. I then hit the heady heights of £6 as 15 year old apprentice, I had to give it all to my mum who gave me back 2 pounds 10 shillings as spending money.
    The wife now does something similar but I don’t it’s £2:50 I’m allowed.
  • MattFalle
    £20 a week here. I take it from the account every Tuesday.

Tbh, I don't really need any more.
  • webboo
    MattFalle said:

Is that £20 each for all of the MF’s.
  • pinno
    webboo said:

MattFalle said:

Is that £20 each for all of the MF’s.
    It adds up to X x MF¹

(Where ¹ is arbitrary).