British cyclists and their future in Europe

hommelbier
hommelbier Posts: 1,555
Not sure if this should be here or in Cake Stop but worth highlighting possible future problems for British riders.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jun/25/geraint-thomas-and-chris-froome-sign-letter-calling-for-help-for-riders-affected-by-brexit

Comments

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Surely there are races in the Pacific economic area they could race in.
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    Maybe they could seek an new trade deal with the European Economic Area that would allow cyclists to spend more than 90 days over there. Oh wait.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    edited June 2021
    Where does Chris Froome live? I suggest an easier solution for him.
    He might even get some support in Le Tour.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited June 2021
    pblakeney said:

Where does Chris Froome live? I suggest an easier solution for him.
    He might even get some support in Le Tour.

He's independently wealthy and has a high paying job. This isn't about him. He's fine. But the 2007 Froome might not be allowed into Europe these days. That's the point. African cyclists have the same issue.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pblakeney
    It's what we voted for.
    Wrong as that was IMO.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited June 2021
    pblakeney said:

It's what we voted for.
    Wrong as that was IMO.

Why do you hate Britain? If you wrap yourself in the flag, imagine the glory of a Royal Yacht and sing a song about freedom, I'm sure you will feel better. We have our country back from whoever had it before.

We need to focus accountability on the likes of Richard Freeman, not Matt Hancock. Only one ne is a real to public health.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pblakeney
    🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Hope you slept well under your jack duvet.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    This isn't just a cyclist issue though and if special dispensation is given to aspiring cyclists you will have everyone from aspiring ballerinas to circus juggling acts wanting the same freedom to tour.

I don't know the answer, wish I did as it affects me personally, not in a professional way I may add.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    My sister was due to audition for a couple of small professional opera companies and first they got cancelled due to Covid then this whole issue meant it was going to be close to impossible for them to keep going. She has now decided to retrain and accept a full-time musical career is too risky
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    womack said:

This isn't just a cyclist issue though and if special dispensation is given to aspiring cyclists you will have everyone from aspiring ballerinas to circus juggling acts wanting the same freedom to tour.

I don't know the answer, wish I did as it affects me personally, not in a professional way I may add.

Bring back Freedom of movement I guess ...or emigrate
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566

womack said:

Bring back Freedom of movement I guess ...or emigrate
    Yes, freedom of movement would be ideal but unfortunately our negotiators closed that door for us!

Moving to Europe is not now as simple as in pre brexit days as most countries now demanding proof of income, savings etc, which yes we could meet, but I expect not everybody can.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    The reality is that nothing is going to change until the UK Government does.

Hopefully, when there are adults back in the room we can start work on things like this.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    When. Lol you are optimistic
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    I could see a working holiday type arrangement being agreed at some point.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,615
    Depressingly accurate DD.

On a different angle, I was on the David Austin roses website yesterday looking for some info and they are not shipping to Northern Ireland (or Europe) because of Brexit. Reduced market.

English roses for English people innit. Doubt those who naively voted this situation into reality will fill the gap though; too busy stuffing their faces with KFCs and chucking their McDonalds wrappers out of their car windows.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

When. Lol you are optimistic

Well...every government falls eventually...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver