BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,685
    Asked what success would look like in 10 years’ time, Frost said it was a world in which “we’ve settled into a more normal relationship with the EU … one where we have gone our own way in a number of areas and succeeded … nobody is questioning Brexit. It was self-evidently the right thing to do.”

Evidence? Hmm, we'll wait...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/24/brexit-campaigners-surprised-by-sour-relations-with-eu-says-lord-frost

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,208
    Club not happy with former member who has spent the last 5 years plus moaning to anyone who will listen how bad it was to be a member of the club. Yes, I can see why that would be a surprise.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Pross said:

Club not happy with former member who has spent the last 5 years plus moaning to anyone who will listen how bad it was to be a member of the club. Yes, I can see why that would be a surprise.

Yep. the EU not happy with us. Mutti Merkel saying that all Brits visiting the EU should be quarantined, although fully vaccined. So business as usual, quite happy to throw the Spanish costas and other Med regions under the autobús for political pique.
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498

Pross said:

Yep. the EU not happy with us. Mutti Merkel saying that all Brits visiting the EU should be quarantined, although fully vaccined. So business as usual, quite happy to throw the Spanish costas and other Med regions under the autobús for political pique.
    Merkel is suggesting it and Spain are ignoring her. Maybe we had a bit more autonomy in the big, bad EU then we thought.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    edited June 2021
    Having cornered the early market for vaccines we find ourselves unable to go there because they're not vaccinated and we're riddled with delta variant.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ballysmate

Pross said:

Merkel is suggesting it and Spain are ignoring her. Maybe we had a bit more autonomy in the big, bad EU then we thought.
    And so should Spain ignore her. Doesn't alter her position does it that she thinks that she, through the EU should be able to dictate policy to other nations, especially ones so much more dependant on tourism than her own.

• skyblueamateur

Pross said:

And so should Spain ignore her. Doesn't alter her position does it that she thinks that she, through the EU should be able to dictate policy to other nations, especially ones so much more dependant on tourism than her own.

Because we would never ever dream of doing that would we.......
  • ballysmate

Pross said:

A larger more powerful nation using the EU to dictate policy to other smaller, supposedly equal nations? The EU is a vehicle for the northern states to impose their will on the poorer Med countries? Is that it?

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149

Pross said:

If we had wanted to do that so badly we would have stayed in the EU. As Germany is now demonstrating.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • skyblueamateur

Pross said:

A larger more powerful nation using the EU to dictate policy to other smaller, supposedly equal nations? The EU is a vehicle for the northern states to impose their will on the poorer Med countries? Is that it?

Haha if that's how you see it.

I see it as:

Germany 'We should all expect Brits, where the Delta variant is running wild and they have the highest Covid rates in Europe, to self-quarantine'

Spain 'We're a sovereign nation who relies on tourism so er......no'
  • skyblueamateur
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

If we had wanted to do that so badly we would have stayed in the EU. As Germany is now demonstrating.
    So we never/have never applied pressure on smaller countries to influence policy?

Germany trying to dictate policy, Spain telling them to leg it. Don't see what the issue is.
  • ballysmate

Pross said:

I see it as:

Germany 'YOU should all expect Brits, where the Delta variant is running wild and they have the highest Covid rates in Europe, to self-quarantine'

FTFY
  • Stevo_666

Pross said:

I see it as:

Germany 'We should all expect Brits, where the Delta variant is running wild and they have the highest Covid rates in Europe, to self-quarantine'

So you don't think Germany is doing anything wrong by trying to impose its will on other nations?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

So we never/have never applied pressure on smaller countries to influence policy?

Germany trying to dictate policy, Spain telling them to leg it. Don't see what the issue is.
    Trying to dictate a policy that hits the smaller poorer countries much more than themselves for political ends. Hmm wonder what the rest of the Med countries think of that. Let's ask the Greeks, they have probably the most experience of this.
  • skyblueamateur
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

I see it as:

So you don't think Germany is doing anything wrong by trying to impose its will on other nations?
    You say impose, I would suggest propose. A proposal that has been flatly rejected.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,208
    Angela just wants it to be easier for her people to get their towels on the loungers of the Costas.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Angela just wants it to be easier for her people to get their towels on the loungers of the Costas.

Good point, we're learning how to compete in that area, so they're trying to tilt the table.

https://youtu.be/LuIJqF8av6I

Very European :smile:
  • ballysmate

Having cornered the early market for vaccines we find ourselves unable to go there because they're not vaccinated and we're riddled with delta variant.

Victims of our own success it would appear then.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218

If by success you mean more rona deaths by any other European nation
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

I see it as:

No. That's what all countries do by one means or another. To not do so would be a dereliction of foreign policy.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ballysmate

Don't even need to bait the hook do I? :D

But I was referring to TWH's point about our vaccine success.

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

I see it as:

No. That's what all countries do by one means or another. To not do so would be a dereliction of foreign policy.
    My question still stands regardless of what others may or may not do.
  • Stevo_666

Ricks response was probably as predictable as the sunrise.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878

That depends I suppose if not being able to travel to areas with lower vaccination rates makes the UK a victim.

Choices were made.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Doesn't mean it isn't true and avoiding deaths is entirely the point of vaccines and lockdowns etc.

The crowing about "success" is quite tragic in that context.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

I see it as:

My question still stands regardless of what others may or may not do.
    And I answered it in the first word. Do you think the UK government doesn't try to impose it's will on other countries?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Doesn't mean it isn't true and avoiding deaths is entirely the point of vaccines and lockdowns etc.

The point Bally referred to was about our vaccination programme. Do you think it has been successful?
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

The point Bally referred to was about our vaccination programme. Do you think it has been successful?
    Getting there but not yet, as evidenced by the number of cases and the continuing restrictions on travel. London in particular is still at pretty low levels of take up.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yeah sure.

This is a bit like the team in the relegation zone saying "well we're the top scoreres" which is all very well, but they let in so many they didn't win a match.