Whisky Whispering

shirley_basso said:
Show previous quotes
Back on topic, looking through some old photos this evening, I was lucky enough to have a bottle of the Mortlach 16 Flora and Fauna edition. It's more than doubled in price and now in excess of £200/bottle.

Looking at something comparable and these came up:

Benrinnes 15 Year Old
Dailuaine 16 Year Old

Any thoughts?

Also still not getting on with the Glenfarclas 15 which is a great surprise / disappointment.

Randomly picked up a bottle of MacNair's Lum Reek Peated Blend - I thought it was going to be disgusting but actually very very tasty, despite not being into peaty whiskeys.
The bloke whose video I posted above has done one on the Flora and Fauna series as it happens.

Can't say I've tried either of those. Mortlach is known for its big, meaty character and heavy sherry influence. Might be worth having a look at Edradour. I've got a bottle of their 12 year old "Caledonia" incoming. There are also some Signatory 10 year old bottlings of it around at the moment which look good, or the Signatory Vintage ones if you're looking to spend a bit more.

Shame about the Glenfarclas. It's one I do enjoy. Got a bottle of the 105 at present. It's a big, in /your face affair but not the most complex.
Here you are chaps. And don't come nack. B)

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,332
    He won't be back he's been banned, what did he do that warranted a ban? He's not exactly offensive.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,593
    That's weird, never seemed one to post anything offensive. My guess is breaking some forum selling rules as that sort of behaviour is frowned on far more than posting racist or other offensive comments on this forum.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620

He won't be back he's been banned, what did he do that warranted a ban? He's not exactly offensive.

Shirley not??
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

WTAF? Cos what this forum desperately needs is to keep banning the few people who regularly turn up to post. What a crock of sh-it.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I nearly got banned once for posting a kids bike for sale add without photos - I'd messed up the link to some photo hosting site. Back in the days when moderators were tough!
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

who's been banninated? Shirley?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Shirley not.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420
    He was rude to me once, karma maybe. Plus he had penchant for wearing boat shoes indoors.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,817
    Did the mods buy a new ban hammer in the recent Amazon sale?
    TBH, that's a bit worrying as it looks like nobody has a clue what caused it.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,593
    I got banned briefly once but it was some admin c0ck up that got sorted by an email, maybe something similar happened with SB.
  • shortfall
    Anyway back on whiskey. I got a bottle of Highland Park Dragon Legend for Fathers Day. I've not tried an Orkney whiskey before and this one claims to be smokey. Anyone tried it?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Highland Park is a bit smoky and peaty but nothing as strong as western isles whiskies. Think of it as the middle ground between a Speyside and a Talisker.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shortfall
    pblakeney said:

Highland Park is a bit smoky and peaty but nothing as strong as western isles whiskies. Think of it as the middle ground between a Speyside and a Talisker.

Thanks, that sounds ok to me.

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Ardbeg Uigedail (sp?) Many years ago I was in a whisky/piano bar in the basement of a hotel in Frankfurt, and the bartender discovered I liked a peaty whisky. He said this was his favourite, and no one ever bought it, so we shared half the bottle, and he charged me 20 euros. This was the kind of place where there were a lot of older men with their "nieces", so prices were high. Memorable night chatting (as a novice) with a whisky lover, and also people watching.

The whisky benefitted from a drop of water - but it was still pretty smoky/tarry.
  • mrb123
    hopkinb said:

Ardbeg Uigedail (sp?) Many years ago I was in a whisky/piano bar in the basement of a hotel in Frankfurt, and the bartender discovered I liked a peaty whisky. He said this was his favourite, and no one ever bought it, so we shared half the bottle, and he charged me 20 euros. This was the kind of place where there were a lot of older men with their "nieces", so prices were high. Memorable night chatting (as a novice) with a whisky lover, and also people watching.

The whisky benefitted from a drop of water - but it was still pretty smoky/tarry.

Have got a bottle at the moment. It's a real beast! Not too bad value really bearing in mind the high ABV.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    shortfall said:

Anyway back on whiskey. I got a bottle of Highland Park Dragon Legend for Fathers Day. I've not tried an Orkney whiskey before and this one claims to be smokey. Anyone tried it?

Had a bottle of Scapa Skiren a few weeks back. Very nice, sorry when it was gone.
    Tasted even better as it only cost about a tenner.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I got bought a bottle of Loch Lomond 10 year old and a bottle of Loch Lomond classic for birthday a couple of weeks ago. There isn’t a lot left of the 10 year old one, however I couldn’t say whether it’s peaty, tarry or smokey I do appear to like it though.
    I was expecting another bottle on Father’s Day but have had to put up with 3 pairs of Rapha socks.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420
    webboo said:

I got bought a bottle of Loch Lomond 10 year old and a bottle of Loch Lomond classic for birthday a couple of weeks ago. There isn’t a lot left of the 10 year old one, however I couldn’t say whether it’s peaty, tarry or smokey I do appear to like it though.
    I was expecting another bottle on Father’s Day but have had to put up with 3 pairs of Rapha socks.

Is it best with coke, Pepsi or Dr Pepper?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • mrb123
    seanoconn said:

webboo said:

Get out!
  • shortfall
    edited June 2021
    webboo said:

Im no expert but peat and smoke are 2 of the easiest flavours to pick out , for me at least. Maybe if you tasted it against a completely different style of whiskey the differences would be more pronounced? When I read tasting notes and reviews on Masters of Malt etc I wonder what some people are on about though.
  • webboo
    seanoconn said:

webboo said:

I find that if I filter the Dr Pepper through a Rapha sock into my whiskey I get the best result. For Pepsi it’s got to be an Assos sock.
  • webboo
    shortfall said:

webboo said:

Im no expert but peat and smoke are 2 of the easiest flavours to pick out , for me at least. Maybe if you tasted it against a completely different style of whiskey the differences would be more pronounced? When I read tasting notes and reviews on Masters of Malt etc I wonder what some people are on about though.
    Well according to the blurb that’s written on the label it opens on creamy caramel and vanilla fudge, there is green apple and pear with some orange citrus before gentle cinnamon spice and a touch of peat smoke.
    So you’ve got to get through the toffee desert before you can find peaty smoke. :)