cDa. Bike fit.

I'm trying to lower my cda. If I slammed my bars to get lower would this completely ruin my position or with a few tweeks could this work?
My core isn't the strongest but I don't lean on my hands a massive amount.

I'm a big guy, 6ft and 100kg and am in the process of getting to 90kg.. with a new baby in the house I can't afford a proper bike fit so trying to work it out myself.

Thanks

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Just slam your bars and see what happens? If you don't saw the steerer you can always put it back.

Congrats on the new arrival. Same here....
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Any change you do will make you faster, slower, or will make no real difference. Guess you'll have to do a lot of races! :)
    left the forum March 2023
  • dsorby2
    dsorby2 Posts: 74

Any change you do will make you faster, slower, or will make no real difference. Guess you'll have to do a lot of races! :)

I dont do many races, just for pleasure riding really
  • dsorby2

Just slam your bars and see what happens? If you don't saw the steerer you can always put it back.

Congrats on the new arrival. Same here....

Thanks bud. Yeah think I might, I've got a pro vibe stem I'm going to use, I'll be lowering the bars but taking 10mm off the stem.

Congratulations to you also!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    no need for a bike fit.

just do what you want, go for 2/3 rides, if it works, keep it, if it doesn't change back.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    how are you intending to measure changes in your cda?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    dsorby2 said:

I dont do many races, just for pleasure riding really
    Stop thinking. Enjoy riding.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Without power data and time on a set course, it's very difficult to assess if any improvement is real or placebo or just chance.

left the forum March 2023
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Are you able to ride hard and for long periods on the drops at the moment?
    If not, then may raising your bars until you can ride on the drops will give you a better result.
  • mr.b-campag
    mr.b-campag Posts: 384
    Lots of stuff out there on this. Dan Bigham has some good thoughts - if you've got a trainer try riding on that with a mirror in front of you and see what you can do to improve things. Remember narrower also important as well as lower. Try riding with your elbows tucked in more (if they tend to flare out) and/or buy some narrow(er) bars whilst you still have some disposable income?!
  • dsorby2

Lots of stuff out there on this. Dan Bigham has some good thoughts - if you've got a trainer try riding on that with a mirror in front of you and see what you can do to improve things. Remember narrower also important as well as lower. Try riding with your elbows tucked in more (if they tend to flare out) and/or buy some narrow(er) bars whilst you still have some disposable income?!

Literally just spoke to Dan, I know him well.
  • MattFalle
    And? What did he say?
  • dsorby2
    MattFalle said:

And? What did he say?

Don't lower my bars, if I look at most of ribble weldtite they have a high stack but keep their forearms horizontal, he's helping me with a plan for core, neck and shoulder flexibility to help and of course the mirror thing, set my turbo up and look at myself in the mirror to see where I need to minimise drag.
  • MattFalle
    cool. problem solved.

sweeeet.