BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Stevo_666 said:

So various people have pondered why I live in the UK when I clearly have no time for it, and broadly it's been because my wife is English and wants to stay.

Anyway, she's genuinely wavering about wanting to stay here. Seems the straw that is breaking all of this is the state of schools and a general culture that disadvantages the young and children.

Currently going through the various options with her in terms of where to move to.

Sounds like a poll is in order, you should get a lot of helpful suggestions ;)

Although to be fair, based on the comments in a lot of threads on this forum you shouldn't be the only one thinking about it...
    I know - even on this thread here we've had some people think it's so bad here they wanted to make some very fundamental changes. Why do they hate this country so much?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

ddraver said:

well...Mountain sports is a rather big tick in the column for me, though I accept that a Ski Resort tells you very little about the reality of the rest of the country. (Though having my ACL put back together in Bern was a rather pleasurable experience all things considered)

And we know Chasey is a useful climber ;)

That's fine, but most (?) countries have mountain sports, so why Switzerland? Better mountains?
    Well, Austria has.

The problem with France, Italy and...I suppose Germany...is that, like Cornwall, the areas with mountain sports tend not to be hives of economic activity. Although the amount of time the tour spends in drab valley floors suggests they can be better at it than us.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    ddraver said:

ddraver said:

well...Mountain sports is a rather big tick in the column for me, though I accept that a Ski Resort tells you very little about the reality of the rest of the country. (Though having my ACL put back together in Bern was a rather pleasurable experience all things considered)

And we know Chasey is a useful climber ;)

That's fine, but most (?) countries have mountain sports, so why Switzerland? Better mountains?
    Well, Austria has.

The problem with France, Italy and...I suppose Germany...is that, like Cornwall, the areas with mountain sports tend not to be hives of economic activity. Although the amount of time the tour spends in drab valley floors suggests they can be better at it than us.
    Geology in Calgary is your calling then.
  • ddraver
    Hah!

What's left of it. A few friends went over there but I think it's taken a real hit since 2014. Tar Sands aren't profitable at 55$/Bbl
    - @ddraver
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

So various people have pondered why I live in the UK when I clearly have no time for it, and broadly it's been because my wife is English and wants to stay.

Anyway, she's genuinely wavering about wanting to stay here. Seems the straw that is breaking all of this is the state of schools and a general culture that disadvantages the young and children.

Currently going through the various options with her in terms of where to move to.

sounds like you have broken her. If only we could reach out directly we could stage an intervention and save her
    She is the influence on me not the other way around.
    Probably Stockholm Syndrome

In your line of work wouldn't you be better off going to NYC?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

sounds like you have broken her. If only we could reach out directly we could stage an intervention and save her

Have been there and done that - I do not want to puts roots down there, nor do I want my daughter growing up in the US.
  • ddraver
    So now we have to decide who to trust - EU or UK Government.. .

hmm...

- @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

hmm...

My money is not on the journalist.
  • ddraver

?
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    ddraver said:

?

Close your eyes and recite…

I believe in Great Britain,
    I believe in…
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283
    Lol, further confirmation NI is for the chop
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Have been there and done that - I do not want to puts roots down there, nor do I want my daughter growing up in the US.
    Singapore? Or New Zealand has a growing financial sector I believe and they speak a sort of version of English. Europe presumably Frankfurt is the best option?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    The main problem with NZ is time and distance.
    The main positive for NZ is distance and time. 😉

I'd be there now if I could get the wife to leave the grand children.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean

ddraver said:

hmm...

My money is not on the journalist.
    Here's the answer which the journalist could have read and explained.

https://blog.ons.gov.uk/2021/05/14/trade-off-different-ways-of-measuring-imports-and-exports/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    pblakeney said:

Yeah, I'd have gone to NZ years ago if not for pesky things like families (Canada was another option).
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    David no-one-could-have-predicted-that-the-NI-protocol-would-be-problematic Frost must either be stupid, or think that everyone else is.

But it was when Labour’s Graham Stringer asked about the Northern Ireland protocol that Frost began to unravel. It had been obvious from the start the UK had only been pretending to apply EU law in Northern Ireland as a matter of political convenience and what the EU had done was to deliberately misinterpret this as if we were signing an international treaty in good faith. We had imagined that the EU would look on the protocol as mere window dressing and would take a pragmatic view of us ignoring the rules.

It should have been obvious we had not intention of sticking to the letter of the law, Frost continued. Not least because Boris Johnson was the UK prime minister and if there was one thing on which you could rely with Boris was that he never kept his promises and would seek to bend the regulations. So Frost and his negotiating team had been totally taken aback to discover that the EU were treating Johnson as a man of his word and were expecting the UK to keep to the terms of the protocol. It was all a bit bumpy right now, Frost conceded, but no one could possibly have imagined that events would pan out as they had.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/22/they-might-have-got-more-brexit-sense-out-of-frosty-the-snowman
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pblakeney said:

We almost did it, but turned down a job as it was just after the first was born and couldn't take him away from the inlaws as their only grandchild.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    edited June 2021
    I'm still not clear what is bad enough to leave the UK, that isn't just differently messed up elsewhere.
    Obviously a very personal subjective thing, so genuinely asking rather than rhetorically.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • elbowloh
    edited June 2021
    rjsterry said:

I'm still not clear what is bad enough to leave the UK, that isn't just differently messed up elsewhere.

Might be as messed up, but they've got whales, dusky, dolphins, penguins, a better cricket and rugby team and no Covid.

It's also just expanding your horizons and getting new experiences, doesn't necessarily have to be better.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

The most common reason is cheaper/bigger housing, essentially more space. Weather also.
  • ddraver
    rjsterry said:

Obviously a very personal subjective thing, so genuinely asking rather than rhetorically.

A feeling things are at least moving in the right direction...
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

Might be as messed up, but they've got whales, dusky, dolphins, penguins, a better cricket and rugby team and no Covid.

It's also just expanding your horizons and getting new experiences, doesn't necessarily have to be better.
    I'm discounting NZ as too far away. If the move is to overcome some disadvantage, then it's not really about new experiences.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

The most common reason is cheaper/bigger housing, essentially more space. Weather also.
    I don't get the weather thing. The same weather for more than a week feels monotonous to me, so GB is perfect. Bigger houses I can't argue with. I'm working on a big house refurb at the moment and realised that the open plan kitchen diner is the same size as the minimum floor area for a 2-bed/3-person flat.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    ddraver said:

rjsterry said:

A feeling things are at least moving in the right direction...
    I think there are signs of the tide turning on that front.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ddraver
    The same way you feel when the England football team goes 1 - 0 up in the first 15 mi....oh
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

I'm discounting NZ as too far away. If the move is to overcome some disadvantage, then it's not really about new experiences.
    No Boris in NZ, no Brexit in NZ?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2021
    elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

He won't be around for long.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I don't get the weather thing. The same weather for more than a week feels monotonous to me, so GB is perfect. Bigger houses I can't argue with. I'm working on a big house refurb at the moment and realised that the open plan kitchen diner is the same size as the minimum floor area for a 2-bed/3-person flat.
    Everyone is different. Personally, I don't like big houses as it creates sparsely populated towns where everyone drives everywhere. I understand that appeals to some in same way hot weather does to others.
  • rjsterry
    ddraver said:

The same way you feel when the England football team goes 1 - 0 up in the first 15 mi....oh

Football metaphors will pass me by, I'm afraid. The current nonsense is unsustainable, so it will end.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• elbowloh
    rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

He won't be around for long.
    He's been Mayor of London, various government roles and now PM. He's been around a bloody long time. Far too long.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk