Trying to remove BB30 bearings...

...and failing hard.

I have a Hope PF46 BB30 BB and bought one of these tools to extract the bearings. It's a Unior 1625 as recommended for the job.
I've unscrewed the middle-bit all the way but the flat base won't fit behind my bearing. It's like there isn't enough room behind it.
Here's a vid to illustrate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ZwsjZgLu8

It defo looks wide enough to hook the bearing...if it would fit behind.
Any ideas?

Comments

• feelgoodlost
    feelgoodlost Posts: 311
    Looks to me that the tool is designed for removing the cups and not the actual bearings. You'd need to look up what size the bearings are (6802, 6803 etc.) and find the right sized press to remove them. Quick Google seems to suggest the bearings for a BB30 bottom bracket are 6806
  • aidsowmb
    aidsowmb Posts: 26
    That's what I was thinking. The title of this says "bottom bracket removal" but the description definitely says for bearings.

https://www.merlincycles.com/unior-1625-bottom-bracket-removing-tool-113862.html

It doesn't look wide enough for the cups
  • feelgoodlost
    If you thread the bolt all the way out, there's definitely no way you can angle it through the hole? It looks like in your video that the cup is fouling the frame when you're angling it into the hole but the thread isn't all the way out.....
  • aidsowmb
    Hmm, was thinking that. The end closest to my hand is welded (?) On so I can't take that wee nut off :(
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    I bought a bearing remover that was basically just the t head bit and a short body to tap out.

I dont know if yours will fit (screw looks too long) but try disassembling the t head bit from the cup, reversing the t bit head and inserting it into the BB. If youre able to get the t bit head flush with the opposite sides bearing from inside, ie the screw is pointing outwards of the BB, you can use a screwdriver and hammer to tap out the bearing gently.
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    Oh just noticed you said it was welded :(
  • feelgoodlost
    Yep, whole point is that you shouldn't need to tap anything out. You use the bolt to gently pull the bearing out while the cup sits against the frame to oppose the force. The 'drift' part is too big to pass through the bearing hole, in which case I'd suggest that it's the wrong size and is designed to actually pull the BB cups out, rather than the bearings themselves.

At this point I'd be inclined to send the tool back and look on eBay for a 6806 bearing puller - something like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132932948694
  • aidsowmb
    That eBay one looks similar to what I have. How do you know that's the right size etc? I've tried googling it and all I get is BB extractors rather than the bearing. I messaged Hope and they said just knock it out with a drift, but I'd rather use something solid than a "little tap here, little tap there" :(
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Disconnect the cup from the thread and then you should be able to insert the press against the bearing, re thread the cup and you should be able to extract the bearing.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • feelgoodlost
    slowmart said:

Disconnect the cup from the thread and then you should be able to insert the press against the bearing, re thread the cup and you should be able to extract the bearing.

The bolt is welded onto the thread so that's a non-starter, unfortunately.
  • feelgoodlost
    aidsowmb said:

That eBay one looks similar to what I have. How do you know that's the right size etc? I've tried googling it and all I get is BB extractors rather than the bearing. I messaged Hope and they said just knock it out with a drift, but I'd rather use something solid than a "little tap here, little tap there" :(

It allows you to select correct sized 'drift' for the the bearing from the dropdown menu. Check to be certain the bearing size (it should have it imprinted onto the green rubber seal) but I think it should be 6806 - which they have in stock.
  • aidsowmb
    Can you use a bearing puller like the one for a wheel on a bottom bracket?
    The type where it's a rod with a sliding hammer. You expand the collet in the BB30 bearing and then rail the hammer upwards to yank the bearing out? Or is that too harsh for this component?
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Sometimes it's just cheaper to drop your bike off at a LBS and say "please fit these for me" and go off get a coffee and read a book. We've all been there.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• s2_dpd
    s2_dpd Posts: 46
    Looks like the threaded rod is simply just too short to angle/twist it inside without the cup piece fouling the BB shell.

I have a similar tool however both ends of the threaded rod are free to removed so you can put the extractor drift inside with the rod, hold it in place with one hand and then screw on the external cup - works a treat

Perhaps a vice and spanner to try and break the weld on the nut/thread end, however just send back if you can?
  • feelgoodlost
    s2_dpd said:

Looks like the threaded rod is simply just too short to angle/twist it inside without the cup piece fouling the BB shell.

I have a similar tool however both ends of the threaded rod are free to removed so you can put the extractor drift inside with the rod, hold it in place with one hand and then screw on the external cup - works a treat

Perhaps a vice and spanner to try and break the weld on the nut/thread end, however just send back if you can?

Definitely seems the case. I'd just return that particular model and go with the one from eBay I linked to above. It's cheaper and all the parts are removable. I have one and it does the job just fine.

• aidsowmb
    Am I able to use one of these if I put the bike on its side?
  • feelgoodlost
    aidsowmb said:

Am I able to use one of these if I put the bike on its side?

Yep. That should work as long as it's only pressing against the back of the bearing and not the BB cup. It should come out fairly easily if it's the former as it'll only be held in by loctite or similar. Just need to be sure it's not hitting the BB cup as it could damage it.