New car advice please

MattFalle
MattFalle Posts: 11,644
Hello

I am looking for a new car to run alongside the Anaconda and TDVs M4.

Reasons for looking are that I'm tired of doing 23mpg on the school/work run.

I'll be keeping the Anaconda, so looking for a little hatchbacky thing.

Priorities are:

5 door
As many mpg as poss
Hybrid?
Must look cool
Must be fun to drive
c.£20k max
Have a well mega stereo
Preferably one one of full length sunroof things

Possibilities so far are an Aygo.

3 door (Abarth, Cooper, etc) ruled out due to bambini getting in and out inconvenience.

Waddya say?

Grazie
The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    edited June 2021
    Budget?

Edit:Ignore, can't read.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    I'd just requisition your OH's M4 if I were you. But failing that, how about an A45 AMG - some of the previous generation models should be getting down towards that price tag by now. Anyway, you know you want an AMG :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle
    Stevo_666 said:

I'd just requisition your OH's M4 if I were you. But failing that, how about an A45 AMG - some of the previous generation models should be getting down towards that price tag by now. Anyway, you know you want an AMG :smile:

we test drove one before we bought the M4 - brilliant fun but the spoiler and what seemed to be compulsory red interior and awful fake carbon all through it put me off tbh.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Can get a golf GTI with a panoramic sunroof. Fits all the criteria, maybe not the spend but take a look 2nd hand.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    As you have other cars for grown up journeys you should look at electric. There are already tariffs that mean you could recharge overnight for free and in the future they will pay you to draw on your battery at peak times
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    if it's for short journey's get an all electric? Although there's a long list for many of them.

Most don't look cool however.

If you're considering the Aygo, how about the VW Up!?

Friend's of mine have one (they're eco friendly) and they fit two kids in it.

However, they actually do their nursery runs/shopping on a e-cargo bike...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    That'll blow 1/2 the £20K budget if you get a nice one....
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    edited June 2021

As you have other cars for grown up journeys you should look at electric. There are already tariffs that mean you could recharge overnight for free and in the future they will pay you to draw on your battery at peak times

Even if you pay the full price, they are much cheaper to run, but not many options for £20k.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    elbowloh said:

if it's for short journey's get an all electric? Although there's a long list for many of them.

I've just replaced the car and was seriously thinking about the MG5 EV.
    It can be had for £20k nearly new if you look around and claims 200+ miles range, 0-60 in 8 seconds apparently and doesn't look too bad apart from being an estate. Kryten's done a review on YouTube.
    I passed because it's still a lot of money (for me) and I don't really want a shiny brand spanking new car to leave parked on some city centre street while at work or for chucking bikes in the back. Installing a 7kW charger here would be a bit of a faff too.

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

Even if you pay the full price, they are much cheaper to run, but not many options for £20k.
    does it work like ICE whereby if you buy 3 years old some other mug pays the 50% depreciation?
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    What you want is a Honda E obviously, problem is that you won't get one for £20k yet, they're still closer to £25k.

I'd be looking at either a Smart FourFour electric or a Vauxhall Corsa-e.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121

does it work like ICE whereby if you buy 3 years old some other mug pays the 50% depreciation?

That was my plan but I think the problem is that anything 3 years+ old is a bit rubbish (efficiency/range wise) because tech has moved on so much.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Golf/Polo Bluemotion

My answer to almost all "What Car" questions mind...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

I'm probably the wrong person to ask as I have never bought a car and don't really know how you would go about it. When I briefly looked recently it seemed to me that that there was a starting price and then lots of optional gadgets that could add 50% to the price, so no idea how anyone would be able to compare prices in the second hand market.

I imagine with electric cars, there will be some concern about batteries ageing, but apparently this hasn't been too bad.

Here is a Nissan Leaf with the less than 10k miles on the clock.

https://www.cargiant.co.uk/car/nissan/leaf/LH18BFX
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    MX5 with a cargo rack for the bambini.

1-series?

What is an anaconda btw?
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

we test drove one before we bought the M4 - brilliant fun but the spoiler and what seemed to be compulsory red interior and awful fake carbon all through it put me off tbh.
    What and you somehow liked the look of an M4?
  • katani
    katani Posts: 132
    edited June 2021
    thistle_ said:

elbowloh said:

...claims 200+ miles range, 0-60 in 8 seconds
    200 miles if you don't use the demister / aircon and accelerate slowly. The 8s to 60 will reduce the range easily by 40 miles if done all the time. Aircon / demister by another 40. And the 200 is from a 100% battery capacity, but you don't want to repeatedly recharge to 100%, as the last 20% takes long and allegedly will reduce the future battery capacity. You also don't want to drain the battery almost fully between the recharges for the same reason. So for claimed range of 200 miles, you get 100-120. Not a problem at all for a car used for local runs and recharged every night. The cheapest home charger is £500 including installation, if it is a not a complicated one, but the lead times are now light ages due to covid and high demand. Speaking from experience of having an i3 since January.

• Stevo_666

MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm guessing its not the latest model, which looks like someone has crossed a car with a chipmunk.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm guessing its not the latest model, which looks like someone has crossed a car with a chipmunk.
    Yes but they all have silly glued on plastic bits and the equivalent of go faster stripes. And they depreciate faster than you can wrap them around a tree in damp weather.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yes but they all have silly glued on plastic bits and the equivalent of go faster stripes. And they depreciate faster than you can wrap them around a tree in damp weather.
    Maybe, although there are not too many cars I would rule out purely on the look - and the current M3/M4 is a rare example. That grille ruins what is a very good drivers car. The previous gens have a bit of the add ons you mention, but not enough to make me rule them out.

I'm case anyone was wondering what I'm on about...

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

Maybe, although there are not too many cars I would rule out purely on the look - and the current M3/M4 is a rare example. That grille ruins what is a very good drivers car. The previous gens have a bit of the add ons you mention, but not enough to make me rule them out.

It's certainly a move away from the Beemers signature grill.

The question is why?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

The question is why?
    Apparently, the Chinese like a big grill, it denotes status...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Mini Cooper but go for the 5 door option. Not sure how much the electric version is at the moment but as electric cars go it is one of the cooler ones IMHO.
  • MattFalle
    edited June 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

that is bogging. honking.

yup, last gen - 2018. black with black with black with black.

bought because it is soooo much car and cost us basically nothing due to stuff and nonsense - fully specced, really lovely to drive. 13,000 miles, tad less than £25k mint condition, dealer, no bad history, fsh, one owner, yada yada.
  • Stevo_666
    elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

The question is why?
    I can only think that AMG and the Audisport division have infiltrated BMW's M division design department. And unless they held customer focus groups at the local blind school, I'm not sure they how they could have not realised.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Sportscars, generalisations about other ethnicities and cultures, unashamed display of wealth... this thread is like going back to the 90s :)
    left the forum March 2023
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    edited June 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

The question is why?
    I can only think that AMG and the Audisport division have infiltrated BMW's M division design department. And unless they held customer focus groups at the local blind school, I'm not sure they how they could have not realised.
    Design by committee?

It's like someone has applied the "make the logo bigger" cliché to car design.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • MattFalle

Sportscars, generalisations about other ethnicities and cultures, unashamed display of wealth... this thread is like going back to the 90s :)

i can't tell if you are disapproving ir not.

anyhow, with work discount, brand new "top of the range" (well, its all comparatives when we're talking about an Aygo) - £13k.
  • MattFalle
    Pross said:

Mini Cooper but go for the 5 door option. Not sure how much the electric version is at the moment but as electric cars go it is one of the cooler ones IMHO.

Agree - theyare really nice but within budget?

will have to checkif I get work discount.

grazie!
  • MattFalle

MX5 with a cargo rack for the bambini.

1-series?

What is an anaconda btw?

Agree compmetely re MX5 - really really rate them but unfortunately need 5 door.

I'll have a look at 1 series - grazie.

its a fire breathing, road ripping, accountant burning off v-tec powered beast.