BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    john80 said:

Man who runs a restaurant is complaining about his pre covid ratio on 3 out of 30 workers being British being affected by brexit. I wonder if he had a risk register with this glaring risk on it and thought about managing the situation over the last 4 to 5 years. He is also surprised that those getting 80% of their wage for watching the TV are unhappy to return for a job many of them were not that arsed about in the first place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57555608

"Restaurateur Mr Moore said he 800 people applied for a receptionist role in November 2020, but he received just seven responses when he re-advertised for the role three weeks ago, and no-one showed up to an interview."

Weren't they on furlough in November last year?

Maybe they should put chefs and kitchen porters higher on the points based immigration system.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    3 weeks ago was too late...

the weeks before that was when I was looking and it was frantic - good for employees for once though...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,230
    Labour market is hot in my world - is anyone else finding this?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Certainly shortages in construction.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ddraver
    edited June 2021
    Hottest I've seen it in Cornwall for a while. Though I've not looked for a job in the UK for 10 years or so to compare. Sis-Raver doesn't seem to be struggling much either...

Seems like everyone waited until May 17th and then went for it all at once.
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah seems that way.

Finally, a bit of wage growth!
  • ddraver
    Hmmm, that's taking longer to hit hospitality/tourism... 🙄
    - @ddraver
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,279
    Yep, hard to hire in IT right now
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508

Maybe they should put chefs and kitchen porters higher on the points based immigration system.

Or pay them more which seems to be what is happening.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864

it is intriguing what will happen. If circa 1 million workers left the UK and aren't returning then it is difficult to imagine that hole being plugged by enthusing the economically inactive. Presumably the businesses with good margins will pay more and attract staff from low margin businesses who will have to revisit their business model. It is easy to see the likes of hand car washes and various forms of agriculture disappearing but what else could change forever?

For an economist this is exciting as it is a giant real world experiment on steroids
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130

it is intriguing what will happen. If circa 1 million workers left the UK and aren't returning then it is difficult to imagine that hole being plugged by enthusing the economically inactive. Presumably the businesses with good margins will pay more and attract staff from low margin businesses who will have to revisit their business model. It is easy to see the likes of hand car washes and various forms of agriculture disappearing but what else could change forever?

For an economist this is exciting as it is a giant real world experiment on steroids
    Care homes?
  • surrey_commuter

Care homes?
    assuming their rates of pay are inflexible then you could have an exodus of staff leaving.

Of course our bucanneering global brit leadership could change the rules so the EU workers who left could get back in :)
  • rick_chasey
    So various people have pondered why I live in the UK when I clearly have no time for it, and broadly it's been because my wife is English and wants to stay.

Anyway, she's genuinely wavering about wanting to stay here. Seems the straw that is breaking all of this is the state of schools and a general culture that disadvantages the young and children.

Currently going through the various options with her in terms of where to move to.
  • ddraver
    I recommend Switzerland... 😕
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Not. A. Chance.
  • surrey_commuter

So various people have pondered why I live in the UK when I clearly have no time for it, and broadly it's been because my wife is English and wants to stay.

Anyway, she's genuinely wavering about wanting to stay here. Seems the straw that is breaking all of this is the state of schools and a general culture that disadvantages the young and children.

Currently going through the various options with her in terms of where to move to.

sounds like you have broken her. If only we could reach out directly we could stage an intervention and save her
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Get yourself back to Holland. Its all milk and honey there surely with still being in the EU and all that and the structural benefits the northern states have over the southern EU states.
  • rick_chasey
    I do wish she'd decided this before Jan 1st 2020 as the paperwork would have been a lot easier.

Alas.
  • ddraver

I haven't looked closely but what I have seen round and about here is that "wage growth" means paying young adults the age 23 wage, or minimum wage to still very bloody low.

We are not at the point of troubling the immigration wage cap or attracting workers away from the rest of the EU.

(...yet?)

I'm struggling to believe this ridiculous housing market we've got in Cornwall at the moment is genuine however
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey

sounds like you have broken her. If only we could reach out directly we could stage an intervention and save her
    She is the influence on me not the other way around.
  • TheBigBean

A productivity increase? Surely not.

Ultimately, the cost of things will go up. Will people pay 10% more for a burger from McDonalds? Probably most will, but perhaps as a result it will mean one coffee less a week. Who knows, but the era of unlimited minimum wage labour has ended.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Care homes?
    assuming their rates of pay are inflexible then you could have an exodus of staff leaving.

Of course our bucanneering global brit leadership could change the rules so the EU workers who left could get back in :)
    Pay rates are care homes are currently inflexible. Care homes are paid by local councils who's budgets have been squeezed, so they squeeze the care homes.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

john80 said:

Man who runs a restaurant is complaining about his pre covid ratio on 3 out of 30 workers being British being affected by brexit. I wonder if he had a risk register with this glaring risk on it and thought about managing the situation over the last 4 to 5 years. He is also surprised that those getting 80% of their wage for watching the TV are unhappy to return for a job many of them were not that arsed about in the first place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57555608

I thought there wouldn't be a staff shortage and it was Project Fear?
    Having a business that has ridden on the poorer states populations of the EU and beyond for decades moaning of a staff shortage is probably not the governments highest priority. They have already come out and said that businesses need to compete for labour and alter their terms and conditions accordingly. For once the market is working to the benefit of the worker on low pay and unsociable hours. Do you deserve to suffer no inflationary pressure on your restaurant bill which is most certainly a discretionary spend?
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021

A productivity increase? Surely not.

Ultimately, the cost of things will go up. Will people pay 10% more for a burger from McDonalds? Probably most will, but perhaps as a result it will mean one coffee less a week. Who knows, but the era of unlimited minimum wage labour has ended.
    If wages go up by 10% for lowest paid at Maccy D's the price of the burger won't go up by 10%.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    edited June 2021

Am genuinely mystified by the comment on schools when your littl'un is still a toddler. Sure nursery provision leaves a lot to be desired, but is Cambridge really that bad for state primaries?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean

I do wish she'd decided this before Jan 1st 2020 as the paperwork would have been a lot easier.

Alas.

If you move to any country other than Netherlands, it will be the same. If you move to another EU country for a while (6 months), and then move to the Netherlands it will be the same.
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

I recommend Switzerland... 😕

Out of interest why? I have no views, but it doesn't often come recommended.

• ddraver
    well...Mountain sports is a rather big tick in the column for me, though I accept that a Ski Resort tells you very little about the reality of the rest of the country. (Though having my ACL put back together in Bern was a rather pleasurable experience all things considered)

And we know Chasey is a useful climber ;)
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

well...Mountain sports is a rather big tick in the column for me, though I accept that a Ski Resort tells you very little about the reality of the rest of the country. (Though having my ACL put back together in Bern was a rather pleasurable experience all things considered)

And we know Chasey is a useful climber ;)

That's fine, but most (?) countries have mountain sports, so why Switzerland? Better mountains?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,157

Sounds like a poll is in order, you should get a lot of helpful suggestions ;)

Although to be fair, based on the comments in a lot of threads on this forum you shouldn't be the only one thinking about it...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]