The Pro Race XC thread ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123

Don't know if it's because he was lighter, technically better or just fresher, but I've watched it from the second lap onwards and it was noticeable how much easier Pidcock seemed to find the more technical sections, especially the climbs. Shortly before breaking away on his own he'd been quite badly hampered by MvdP repeatedly coming to a stop, and regularly rode sections that others were having to run.

That gap to everyone else could probably have been even bigger, too - he took the final lap a little easier, whereas MvdP was involved in a shootout with Flueckiger so didn't let up.

He seems to be the perfect XCO racer; lightweight, decent power & technically excellent. In fact, I reckon he's more suited to this, than CX - were the courses tend to be flatter, and less technical - and the two Vans can use their power.

MvdP beat everybody he beat at Nove Mesto in 2019; but he can't defy physics - there's very little he can do to beat Pidcock on a course with those climbs.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    I thought the list of Oly slots was out today but can't find anything.
    Rich
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited May 2021
    richa said:

I thought the list of Oly slots was out today but can't find anything.

The final rankings are out:

https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source/official-documents/tokyo-2020---olympic-games/mtb-nationalranking-men---final.pdf

Then there are two places for the two nations outside the top 21 from the u23 worlds in 2019 - Chile and GB: https://www.tissottiming.com/2019/mtbwch/en-us/default/Stage/7/Results/1

As far as I can tell Mexico, Australia, Kazakhstan, Namibia and Argentina get other bonus slots.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    RichN95. said:

Vlad Dascalu from Romania.

Hard to do anything but read that in a 'Dracula voice'
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited May 2021
    If I read this correctly, the UCI site has GB up to 15th - so that means a guaranteed slot?

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited May 2021

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2021
    That's the current ranking. The qualification ranking is all the points from 2019, 2020 and the two 2021 World Cups

I posted that ranking in my last post. GB were 31st
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Highlights up on Youtube now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-hEivv3xaE
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    Gives me a lot of nostalgia for my mountain biking days. Also, good to see stars of one disciple doing another.
  • daniel_b

Gives me a lot of nostalgia for my mountain biking days. Also, good to see stars of one disciple doing another.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.
    Tom Pidcock has broke his collarbone in a training crash. He was supposed to do the Tour de Suisse. I don’t know what this means for the Olympics
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Bloody road cycling - so dangerous!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    RichN95. said:

Tom Pidcock has broke his collarbone in a training crash. He was supposed to do the Tour de Suisse. I don’t know what this means for the Olympics

Oh no. That is truly terrible. Think he should still be able to ride the Olympics, but it's hardly ideal for training until then.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ddraver
    Meanwhile,

(I know it'll be a well set up shot etc, but this is a sizeable jump even for full time XCO riders...)
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Having seen his bike in two pieces, one wonders, what did he hit - or was hit by?

One hopes it doesn't seriously affect him - as I'd probably make him favourite, if he is selected for the Olympics. I don't recall any announcement from Team GB/British Cycling.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • RichN95.
    r0bh said:

Hit by a car apparently

They've got a licence plate for the car

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    edited June 2021

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Piddocks is back on the bike after 1 week out… !?!

https://apple.news/AB2J4XWsGPcyPX6Cr2vLSkA
    Rich
  • ddraver
    Evie goes to the Olympics

(One assumes, alongside Tom)
    - @ddraver
  • Yes, Tom's going too.

Here's the full squad (all Olympic disciplines):
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about/article/Team-GB-Announce-Cycling-Team-Tokyo-2020-Olympics
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215

Yes, Tom's going too.

Here's the full squad (all Olympic disciplines):
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about/article/Team-GB-Announce-Cycling-Team-Tokyo-2020-Olympics

Road race squad look strong with 3 GT winners but who is going to do domestique duties? I guess it is a case of trying to get someone in every big move and let the larger teams do the work.
  • andyrac
    Ah, at last, they've actually named Tom as the British men's XCO rider; he's got an excellent chance of Gold, and very likely the favourite.
    As for the women, it was rumoured on RB TV last weekend, that Evie has got the spot - and as is her wont, she'll give it a good go, leave it all on the course - and end up smiling whatever.
  • ddraver
    Introducing the Castelli & Pinerello Gravity Ranges

- @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Next World Cup round, at Les Gets, France. Another double header following Leogang, with both XC & DH.

Ineos tweeted showing Pidcock on training runs; will be interesting to see were his form is. Otherwise, you'd have to pick Flueckinger, followed by Cink; Nino's last XCO World Cup win was here 2 years ago.

Hard to look past Lecomte in the womens, maybe she'll actually be out of breath this race, PF-P to follow, with both Kate & Evie in good form following recent wins in Swiss Cup, and the Italian series.
  • ddraver
    Indeed, they re almost going to be able to wave at MvdP in the peloton below.

PFP & Flueckinger take the short tracks
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Come on Tom, stop messing about. Grand tour cycling needs a saviour in 2022.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ddraver
    edited July 2021
    Proper filthy conditions in Les Gets.

Evie about to finish third behind the imperious Lecomte. 'Current' Olympic Champion, Jenny Rissveds also coming good, after a crash, as we approach Tokyo...

France doing pretty well at it's home World Cup, but note that Tahnee Seagrave won the DH yesterday (kinda on her home track as she grew up there) in an incredibly tight race with Miriam Nicole
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Half way, Flueckinger out ahead of groups at 30s and 50s in conditions that are frankly insane...

Not sure where Pidcock is but it's a long way back (by his standards)
    - @ddraver