Ineos must be stopped

zest28
zest28 Posts: 403
edited June 2021 in Pro race
The financial unfair play in pro cycling has gotten really out of hand now.

Ineos is so stacked, they are bringing 4 leaders to the Tour De France this year while having benched other leaders such as Egan Bernal. And Ineos have also benched powerhouses like Ganna and Dennis to give an idea how stacked Ineos is.

If Pogacar again beats Ineos all by himself without team support like last year, Ineos should be ashamed really.

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yes let's discourage sponsors from bringing money into the sport. Nice one.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    I'll bite just for the sake of it.
    Richer teams being more successful is hardly new, or news.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    pblakeney said:

I'll bite just for the sake of it.
    Richer teams being more successful is hardly new, or news.

Or unique to cycling
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    zest28 said:

If Pogacar again beats Ineos all by himself without team support like last year, Ineos should be ashamed really.

Pogacar will have strong team support for this Tour.
    Do try to keep up if you are planning a July trolling campaign. ;)

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    Stating Bernal, Ganna and Dennis are benched suggests they are fully GT fit and ignores the work they all did in the Giro.

Did JV not have three GT leaders last year plus two of the best super-doms around?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

Stating Bernal, Ganna and Dennis are benched suggests they are fully GT fit and ignores the work they all did in the Giro.

Did JV not have three GT leaders last year plus two of the best super-doms around?

They only had 1 really

Looking like genuine contenders and being relevant towards the end would be a successful tour for Ineos. Finishing 3rd, 4th and 5th 3 minutes behind wouldn't be.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Luckily Ineos don't have the best GC rider at the Tour or imo even the second best so them being stacked with top riders might actually make for a better race.

What can really make for dull racing is when the best rider has the best team - something that naturally happens quite a lot.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

What can really make for dull racing is when the best rider has the best team - something that naturally happens quite a lot.

But do those teams often appear to be the best because they have the best rider? Take winning Sky teams of the past and make Bardet or Kruijswijk (for example) the leader and are they the best team?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    No I think the best GC riders of an era more often than not do have a very strong set of domestiques.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

No I think the best GC riders of an era more often than not do have a very strong set of domestiques.

Yes, this is true. But domestiques of a winning leader will always seem better than if they were with a leader coming in 7th.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    One domestiques #Epic Pull for the strongest rider is another domestiques pointless effort that tired out his leader who got dropped anyway...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    How do you know it’s TDF time?

Because Zest28 posts yet another mad question.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    gweeds said:

How do you know it’s TDF time?

Because Zest28 posts yet another mad question.

To be fair Zest posts shite every time they post not just when it's near the Tour.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Most of their opposition have had years and years of an advantage to get better, more lucrative sponsors - but unsurprisingly are stuck in a time warp. Why punish Ineos, and other well financed teams for managing to bring in big £$£$£$£ sponsors.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    It's a global sport and the other teams need to pull in global sponsors. If the uci got their act together and dragged themselves out of the 1950s then they might attract them. But no, the keep womens cycling as an after thought at best.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    I kinda hope they don't run away with it tbh .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Hopefully Ineos will sign Pogacar and send the OP into full meltdown.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    mrb123 said:

Hopefully Ineos will sign Pogacar and send the OP into full meltdown.

When they signed Bernal, Sivakov, and a few other young riders in 2018 I think that was the plan - to hire the next big thing, and it looked like they had in Bernal, but it seems like Pogacar is the real deal.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    This thread title is like a B film title from the 1970s
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

Attack of the 56-tooth Chain Rings

Anyone else want to pitch a cycling B-movie? Pretty sure the rest of this topic is dead.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    The Cannibal Attacks
  • blazing_saddles
    edited June 2021
    The Hateful Eight.
    (managed to keep on topic too!)
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Turn the clock back and this thread title could be 'Eddie/Hinault/indurain/Armstrong must be stopped'. yet Pogace won in 2020 and Roglic won the Vuelta in 2019/20 so it isnt some runaway success for Ineos
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245

Attack of the 56-tooth Chain Rings

Anyone else want to pitch a cycling B-movie? Pretty sure the rest of this topic is dead.
    Trying to come up with some drug related "dropping" pun but I can't get there.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ISIHAC Fan?

Hat! 👍
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    The good, the bad and the marginal gain
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited June 2021
    I'd argue that Brailsford's teams have been very good for the sport - maybe not initially Sky, but other teams seemed to be slow to react.

Ineos now seem to race with a bit more 'style' and it is very enjoyable to watch.
    Additionally I think this has pushed other teams to run a lot more professionally, and optimise everything they can - I can't see how that is a negative.

Talking about benching X rider/s is irrelevant, all pro teams have large squads, and rotate them accordingly based on their season plan, and or fitness/form/fatigue.

And this is aside from the fact that DQS, JV & UAE have had oodles of success over the last year or two, so Ineos are not winning everything by any means.

I can see the Tour being very exciting this year, yes Ineos have a very strong team, but in my opinion they do not have the 1st or 2nd favourite for GC, so seeing whether their team can use tactics and planning to beat the stronger riders will be truly fascinating.
    *Also Cav coming back in just phonemenal B)

https://procyclingstats.com/teams.php?year=2021&filter=Filter&s=wins
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • blazing_saddles
    An oldie but a Sinatra goldie: "The Man with the Golden Helmet."