BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    Is anybody else seeing Northerner fishymen selling in the local market or even door to door?

I assume it is in response to losing access to EU markets and hats off to them for their entrepreneurial zeal but I guess they would rather not be doing it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,221

Is anybody else seeing Northerner fishymen selling in the local market or even door to door?

I assume it is in response to losing access to EU markets and hats off to them for their entrepreneurial zeal but I guess they would rather not be doing it.

Literally had this yes.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508

I thought exports had mostly recovered.

• surrey_commuter

I thought exports had mostly recovered.

If he ever comes back I will ask him
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878

Every chance the NI Assembly could collapse this week

So that's nice

Assembly stays up
    DUP collapses
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean

So that's nice

Assembly stays up
    DUP collapses
    Good UK government?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

So that's nice

Assembly stays up
    DUP collapses
    Oh wow.
    It’s a poisoned Chalice.
    The people who vote for you demand a hard line be taken and the impossible promised.
    The moment you are faced with a need to compromise, you have let everybody down.

And let’s face it, you can’t govern in NI without compromise.

Arlene must be having a chuckle mind.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Poots resigns
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,126

Poots resigns

So are they saying he should have waited till the language law was imposed by London, and not had a first minister until then?
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    Scotland lasted in a major football tournament longer then Poots as leader of the DUP.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Way to go!

British food and drink exports to EU fall by £2bn in first quarter of 2021

Industry body says analysis of HMRC data shows structural rather than teething problems with Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jun/18/british-food-and-drink-exports-to-eu-fall-by-2bn-in-first-quarter-of-2021

This, then the Australia deal, seem like a massive blow to farmers.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • skyblueamateur
    elbowloh said:

Way to go!

Industry body says analysis of HMRC data shows structural rather than teething problems with Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jun/18/british-food-and-drink-exports-to-eu-fall-by-2bn-in-first-quarter-of-2021

TBF I've been eating a lot more British fish since Brexit. Possibly not as much as a whole continent but hey-ho, the farmers and fishermen should stop bloody moaning about it. Deal's done and the voice of the people has been heard. Get over it.
  • surrey_commuter
    sensible answers only please

what did the UK farming industry think was going to be the likely outcome of Brexit?

they come across as wanting tariff and non-tariff bariers on EU/non-EU foodstuffs whilst having no tariff or non-tariff barriers to EU/non-EU markets but surely they can not have thought that a realistic outcome?
  • skyblueamateur

what did the UK farming industry think was going to be the likely outcome of Brexit?

they come across as wanting tariff and non-tariff bariers on EU/non-EU foodstuffs whilst having no tariff or non-tariff barriers to EU/non-EU markets but surely they can not have thought that a realistic outcome?

I think voting for Brexit was very much a heart over head vote and the consequences were there for all to see. Farming and fishing chose to ignore these and just wanted 'better'. They want tariffs and quotas on all imports but tariff free trade and no paperwork on their exports.
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

Way to go!

TBF I've been eating a lot more British fish since Brexit. Possibly not as much as a whole continent but hey-ho, the farmers and fishermen should stop bloody moaning about it. Deal's done and the voice of the people has been heard. Get over it.
    Would you get over it and be quiet if you lost your livelihood?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • skyblueamateur
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

Way to go!

I think the sarcasm may have been lost. Of course I wouldn't. I do genuinely feel for them. I find it utterly baffling that large sections of both industries voted for this though. Same with the DUP in NI.
  • surrey_commuter

I think voting for Brexit was very much a heart over head vote and the consequences were there for all to see. Farming and fishing chose to ignore these and just wanted 'better'. They want tariffs and quotas on all imports but tariff free trade and no paperwork on their exports.
    I get all the heart over head stuff and maybe there is not too much downside if you are in a role such as pubic sector. What I don't get is the apparently strong correlation between people who's livelihood depends upon access to the EU and their support for Brexit.

The "purer" the Brexit the greater they would lose yet they cheered Boris on to ever levels of purity even to the point when he signed the deal.

Is it possible that to this day Brexiteers from Boris down do not accept and/or understand the inherent trade off between sovereignty and market access?
  • surrey_commuter
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

Way to go!

If I owned a pub and supported a referendum on the abolition of alcohol, I like to think that if successful I would accept the loss of my livelihood with good grace
  • TheBigBean
    Looks like it has mostly recovered in both directions, but that makes for a less exciting story.

• elbowloh

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

Way to go!

If I owned a pub and supported a referendum on the abolition of alcohol, I like to think that if successful I would accept the loss of my livelihood with good grace
    But they were told that Brexit would be a land of opportunity.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

Way to go!

I think the sarcasm may have been lost. Of course I wouldn't. I do genuinely feel for them. I find it utterly baffling that large sections of both industries voted for this though. Same with the DUP in NI.
    Apologies BSA
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021

Looks like it has mostly recovered in both directions, but that makes for a less exciting story.

I'd be more interested as a proportion of GDP and exports as that is rather meaningless on its own, and the timeline is only to 2018 and not to before the ref.
  • TheBigBean

I'd be more interested as a proportion of GDP and exports as that is rather meaningless on its own, and the timeline is only to 2018 and not to before the ref.
    The data is all available, so you can do it. I just think a headline that looks at an average of three months, ignores the higher levels last year and ignores the recovery is quite poor. Consistent with Brexit reporting though.

• rick_chasey

The data is all available, so you can do it. I just think a headline that looks at an average of three months, ignores the higher levels last year and ignores the recovery is quite poor. Consistent with Brexit reporting though.

So when the NFU are complaining they're in dire straights they're....making it up?
  • TheBigBean

So when the NFU are complaining they're in dire straights they're....making it up?
    No idea. I'm just presenting the data.
  • elbowloh

and the Food and Drink Federation.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey

You're not just presenting the data. You're also interpreting it, and saying that is has recovered and that's not being reported on - and the trade bodies are saying the opposite.

• elbowloh
    More on it here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57518910

Cheese sales to the EU down 70%
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • skyblueamateur

I get all the heart over head stuff and maybe there is not too much downside if you are in a role such as pubic sector. What I don't get is the apparently strong correlation between people who's livelihood depends upon access to the EU and their support for Brexit.

The "purer" the Brexit the greater they would lose yet they cheered Boris on to ever levels of purity even to the point when he signed the deal.

Is it possible that to this day Brexiteers from Boris down do not accept and/or understand the inherent trade off between sovereignty and market access?
    I think it's very much a case of they don't want to understand. We've left and they're still blaming the EU for everything. It's crazy.
  • surrey_commuter

You're not just presenting the data. You're also interpreting it, and saying that is has recovered and that's not being reported on - and the trade bodies are saying the opposite.

could it be that TBB's data is by month whereas the others are the aggregate for the quarter?