Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

1727374757678»

Comments

• wayneabs
    wayneabs Posts: 63
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some 28mm tubeless tyres with a gum coloured side wall

I found some Schwalbe TT ones but they don't have much puncture protection

Any suggestions?

Thanks
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    That's why we use protection sealant (Schwalbe Doc Blue) with Schwalbe tubeless tyres.! ;)
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • wayneabs said:

Hi all,

I'm looking for some 28mm tubeless tyres with a gum coloured side wall

I found some Schwalbe TT ones but they don't have much puncture protection

Any suggestions?

Thanks

https://www.mantel.com/uk/schwalbe-one-tle-road-bike-tyre

Out of stock for a couple of weeks in 28mm skin wall...
  • wayneabs
    wayneabs Posts: 63
    Thanks guys, i'll keep searching

Everything seems out of stock these days!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Recommendations for gravel tyres, up to 35mm, mixed chalk under mud forest tracks, bridleways, towpaths - nothing too technical. Need to be non-horrid on road.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Not Panaracer Gravel King. Too fragile.
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    Morning all,
    Looking for a replacement set of tubeless tyres at a decent price. Had some Hutchinson Storm tubeless in a 28, and have been reasonably pleased with them. Looking this time though to come down to 25mm. Any recommendations for a decent tyre at a reasonable price.
    I was looking at the Rubino Pro TL on Merlin @ £28.99 - any feedback on these?
  • dangardner27
    dangardner27 Posts: 118
    I've had problems with Vittoria tubeless (Corsa's) and are almost impossible to refit once removed having been patched. The bead is too loose.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052

Morning all,
    Looking for a replacement set of tubeless tyres at a decent price. Had some Hutchinson Storm tubeless in a 28, and have been reasonably pleased with them. Looking this time though to come down to 25mm. Any recommendations for a decent tyre at a reasonable price.

Why only reasonably pleased?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    itboffin said:

Morning all,

Why only reasonably pleased?
    Great question - actually quite pleased then - need to pick the correct words to convey my meaning - apologies ;).
    No issues really with them - the 28's though can be a bit "bouncy", although maybe I'm running too much pressure on them (80F 85R - 90-95 kg rider).

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215

Morning all,

Those Rubinos from Merlin are definitely decent tyres. Quite substantial so durable, but quite hard to get on compared to Hutchinson's. Don't blow up to massive sizes like some tyres. I'd say they're probably on a par with the Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Seasons, but not as quite as nice as the Hutchinson F5 Performance. They were £26.99 a few weeks ago, and there were nice tan walls available too, but I would buy them again at that price.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Like my pirelli cinturos. Suggest they run relatively bigger.

Just had an unpleasant experience on a gravel track where stones kept getting trapped twixt frame and tyre. They re only 26c!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pippi_langsamer-2
    pippi_langsamer-2 Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2023
    I've been having major issues with Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance Storm TLR. Despite being happy with their performance on my "Winter" bike, I've had two now develop weird bubbles or blisters under the top tread layer. These don't appear to be delaminations as such, but quite literally.....blisters.

Multiple blisters of different sizes around the tyre (28s), Very low mileage, as the tread and wear indicators show, and no dead spots from braking/ wheel locking. Tyre profile still lovely and round (as it should be for the mileage).

First one developed blisters last February. Assumed I'd got a duff batch, so ordered a replacement. Emailed Hutchinson to enquire about the issue and heard nothing back. I've now noticed the replacement tyre has done exactly the same thing.

Googling would suggest I'm not alone in experiencing this issue with this model. On the original tyre that developed these blisters, I actually pricked one of the larger blisters with a pin, and just like a blister, watery liquid came out (obviously not sealant). Leads me to wonder whether the upper casing/ tread is maybe porous and it wet weather, is allowing water to penetrate the rubber and form this bubble. Kind of sounds un-plausible, but can't think of another explanation.

Neither of the tyres got to the point they actually failed, but I'd imagine if left unchecked, the blisters would tear and potentially delaminate the whole upper tread layer.

Original post showing blisters on the first tyre:

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/20876748#Comment_20876748
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178

I've been having major issues with Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance Storm TLR. Despite being happy with their performance on my "Winter" bike, I've had two now develop weird bubbles or blisters under the top tread layer. These don't appear to be delaminations as such, but quite literally.....blisters.

Multiple blisters of different sizes around the tyre (28s), Very low mileage, as the tread and wear indicators show, and no dead spots from braking/ wheel locking. Tyre profile still lovely and round (as it should be for the mileage).

First one developed blisters last February. Assumed I'd got a duff batch, so ordered a replacement. Emailed Hutchinson to enquire about the issue and heard nothing back. I've now noticed the replacement tyre has done exactly the same thing.

Googling would suggest I'm not alone in experiencing this issue with this model. On the original tyre that developed these blisters, I actually pricked one of the larger blisters with a pin, and just like a blister, watery liquid came out (obviously not sealant). Leads me to wonder whether the upper casing/ tread is maybe porous and it wet weather, is allowing water to penetrate the rubber and form this bubble. Kind of sounds un-plausible, but can't think of another explanation.

Neither of the tyres got to the point they actually failed, but I'd imagine if left unchecked, the blisters would tear and potentially delaminate the whole upper tread layer.

Original post showing blisters on the first tyre:

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/20876748#Comment_20876748

I had exactly the same issue a few years ago with the Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance. I just popped the blisters and let the sealant seal them up. When they wore out, I didn't buy them again. Had a similar issue with early Continental GP5000 tubeless tyres, but it wasn't as bad.

On at the topic of poor tyre QC, I've had loose threads from the tyre bead on Continental GP5000 TLR's which never really go away, even if you trim them back. They can wrap themselves around spokes, mudguards, etc so could be quite dangerous, if left alone.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    edited July 2023
    skeetam said:

I had exactly the same issue a few years ago with the Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance.

Had the same issues - blisters and a split along the center of the tread. I've put this tire into reserve as the split will require a patch to fix.

Changing the rear was a faff: cleaning the old liquid, had to then reapply rim tape, new tire, new liquid then time getting leaks out of the system.

With road tubeless getting really expensive despite the competition I may change back to tires and tubes but I do say that every time I change tires.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Pro one's or GP5000?
    On a Giant Defy Adv Pro with stock wheels and Hunt 50mm mainly for commuting 7 miles each way rough broken tarmac , on and off road NCN parks shared spaces with 200m wooden bridge slippery slimy in the wet
    Currently have pro one's 28mm that need replacing.
    Best all round tyres especially with unpredictable weather of late/?
    Thinking either Pro 1 or gp5k on the Hunt and then some 32 tread for the stock wheels as bad weather winter wheels adventure all road light gravel mixed tarrain type, thoughts and recommendations please?
    I've heard the gp5k can be difficult to fit.
    Also black /grey oke red accents bike would you keep all black or go tan side wall?
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    andyh01 said:

Pro one's or GP5000?
    On a Giant Defy Adv Pro with stock wheels and Hunt 50mm mainly for commuting 7 miles each way rough broken tarmac , on and off road NCN parks shared spaces with 200m wooden bridge slippery slimy in the wet
    Currently have pro one's 28mm that need replacing.
    Best all round tyres especially with unpredictable weather of late/?
    Thinking either Pro 1 or gp5k on the Hunt and then some 32 tread for the stock wheels as bad weather winter wheels adventure all road light gravel mixed tarrain type, thoughts and recommendations please?
    I've heard the gp5k can be difficult to fit.
    Also black /grey oke red accents bike would you keep all black or go tan side wall?

Pro One and in all black.!
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    The original GP5000TLs were hard to fit... but the current GP5000TRs are a breeze.

I've fitted two sets, one 28mm, one 25, on different wheels neither using levers and just using a track pump.

Merlin have them for £55 at the moment, I will likely get a spare set at that price.

Some people swear by Schwalbe, but there is a reason so many pro teams use GP5000s - they are very very good tyres. If you do go for them, you will not be disappointed.

I would recommend getting 28mm in black - my 25mms just don't feel as nice to ride, and the tan walls are a bit painted on and pointless.