Drugs in other sports and the media.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    gsk82 said:

Sarah Storey...

As well as being a non storey storey, how would this be drugs in other sports.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    I couldn't find the British cycling are all on drugs thread. I was surprised it hadn't been mentioned.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Not doping but I heard a funny on the Peter Crouch podcast today from a drug tester.

He'd gone to a football game, probably Sunderland, and they had lost. He had to accompany a player until they were OK to give a sample. I guess this is how is works in football but he had to go to the changing room with the losing team with the losing team - managed by Roy Keane. He said that one by one Keane absolutely hammered each player, before getting to one who accused of not being good enough to be a footballer. He shouted that he needed to go and find another job, before pointing at the drug tester and yelling "You should go and collect p1ss for a living like this guy"

(The drug tester said he personally found it very funny)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,602
    The story he went on to tell was revealing about the seriousness with which footballers seem to take drugs tests with.

For some banter , one footballer made the drug tester follow him all around the ground and then ended up making him come into a toilet cubicle while he gave his sample. The footballers all found it hilarious and for me I it showed me how little credit they give to "the p1ss collecters"
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    andyp said:

ddraver said:

Move Over Tyler Hamilton's Twin we have a new Best Excuse Ever!

Some of the excuses in the article are just superb.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/m­ay/10/bob-baffert-medina-spirit-kentucky­-derby-horse-racing-cancel-culture-disqu­alification

Not only does horse racing not have a single global anti-doping policy, the USA seems to have a different one for each state/ jurisdiction.
    So, when the Breeders Cup take place in the USA in November, you have horses on Lasix & Bute (to stop bursting blood vessels) and others which aren't. Saying that, often challengers from UK & Ireland, decide to follow suite, and use them.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • webboo
    Shelby Houlihan American middle distance runner tested positive Steroids and has blamed it on a pork burrito, she still got a 4 year ban though.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    webboo said:

Shelby Houlihan American middle distance runner tested positive Steroids and has blamed it on a pork burrito, she still got a 4 year ban though.

She's probably telling porkies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    A little surprised no-one's flagged the Erikson collapse on this thread...

The thought had crossed my mind, but I guess it's a little sensitive.
  • RichN95.

A little surprised no-one's flagged the Erikson collapse on this thread...

The thought had crossed my mind, but I guess it's a little sensitive.

Don't worry, the usual suspects on twitter did.
  • rick_chasey
    Fair enough.

I guess it's football so we'll never know if that was anything to do with it or not.
  • RichN95.

Fair enough.

I guess it's football so we'll never know if that was anything to do with it or not.

I doubt it. This happens to regular people quite frequently
  • webboo
    Apparently pigs have a naturally high content of Nandrolone in them and if you eat them you test positive. She claims the authorities told her this when she said she had never heard of Nandrolone. Still banned her though.
  • rick_chasey
    You may be right.

For no reason other than football has not had a doping glasnost I assume the majority of the top players are on the juice.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    This from a week ago seems worth a mention. Shelly-Ann Frazer-Pryce Jamaica’s 2 time Olympic champion, setting a PB in the 100m, no suggestion anywhere that this might be suspicious and even the British record holder says this is ‘amazing for athletics’

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/57420366

Shelly-Ann Frazer-Pryce is a 34 year old mother whose pervious best was set back in 2012 and is now the second fastest woman in history after Flo Jo. Miraculous.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Maybe women develop later / chirdbirth makes them faster.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    webboo said:

Apparently pigs have a naturally high content of Nandrolone in them and if you eat them you test positive. She claims the authorities told her this when she said she had never heard of Nandrolone. Still banned her though.

Worrying if an Olympic athlete is claiming to have never heard of a steroid that most of us who only follow sport or compete at a very low level are well aware of. Linford Christie was banned for using this over 20 years ago. 4 years seems a big ban though assuming it's a first offence especially when some tennis players have had only 6 months and Pep Guardiola was cleared after arguing it was naturally occuring.
  • Pross

I'm sure I've read years ago about a study that said something along the lines of that. It has certainly become quite commonplace for top female athletes to return after child birth and perform at the same or higher level.
  • seanoconn
    Pross said:

I'm sure I've read years ago about a study that said something along the lines of that. It has certainly become quite commonplace for top female athletes to return after child birth and perform at the same or higher level.
    Commonplace to return to sport juggling motherhood/dedicated training and return to a higher level? Link?
  • seanoconn
    edited June 2021

I’m assuming this was tongue in cheek.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    seanoconn said:

yeah sorry.

Wasn't the womans winner of an olympic gold ITT (rio?) about 40
  • Pross
    edited June 2021
    seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Commonplace to return to sport juggling motherhood/dedicated training and return to a higher level? Link?
    Commonplace might be stretching it but off the top of my head:

Tennis - Kim Clijsters won 2 US Opens after her first child, Serena has returned with some success but less than pre-child, Davenport returned to the WTA Tour for at least 4 years after her first child and even played a couple of seasons after her second. Azarenka managed a US Open final after having her child (and despite being involved in a nasty custody battle).

Athletics - Jo Pavey probably matched her best form after having kids, Paula Radcliffe won the New York twice after her first child and managed a 3rd in Berlin Marathon after her second.

Rowing - Helen Glover has recently won a European gold just over a year after having twins and has a slightly older child too.

It has certainly changed from when I was a kid and many sportswomen retired in their late teens or early twenties.

Edit - I forgot Lizzie D too!
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2021

seanoconn said:

yeah sorry.

Wasn't the womans winner of an olympic gold ITT (rio?) about 40
    Kristen Armstrong. She was a couple of days short of her 43rd birthday. She had a baby back in 2010.

Jessica Ennis won a Worlds Gold and Olympic silver after having a baby. Laura Kenny's another mother
  • webboo
    They probably sign up for extra training to get away from the kids ;)
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I'd bet if you controlled for age you'd probably find that performances for mothers were sometimes better and sometimes worse than pre childbirth. It's just that the ones that stand out are the ones post giving birth.

4 years for the burrito does seem odd given how frequently food contamination appears to be a successful route to either full aquittal or reduction in sanction. CAS report will make an interesting read.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • seanoconn
    Pross said:

seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Commonplace might be stretching it but off the top of my head:

Tennis - Kim Clijsters won 2 US Opens after her first child, Serena has returned with some success but less than pre-child, Davenport returned to the WTA Tour for at least 4 years after her first child and even played a couple of seasons after her second.

Athletics - Jo Pavey probably matched her best form after having kids, Paula Radcliffe won the New York twice after her first child and managed a 3rd in Berlin Marathon after her second. Azarenka managed a US Open final after having her child (and despite being involved in a nasty custody battle).

Rowing - Helen Glover has recently won a European gold just over a year after having twins and has a slightly older child too.

It has certainly changed from when I was a kid and many sportswomen retired in their late teens or early twenties.

Edit - I forgot Lizzie D too!
    Kim Clijsters, 5 majors and a number 1 ranking before her first child.

Lindsay Davenport, 3 Majors and a number 1 ranking pre pregnancy.

Paula Radcliffe, every personal best pre pregnancy

Victoria Azarenka, 3 majors and world number 1 ranking pre pregnancy.

Serena Williams, 23 majors, world number 1 ranking per pregnancy.

Coming back to sport after pregnancy to the same level or above is not common place. Nobody said female athletes couldn’t return to sport after a child.

A 34 year old elite athlete breaking a 9 year old PB is miraculous.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Liz McColgan won the Tokyo World Champs 10,000m 9 months after her daughter Eilish was born. In a nice piece of symmetry Eilish has qualified to compete in the Tokyo Olympics, 30 years later.

Ref Fraser Price - always been highly suspicious TBH given the lack of a robust AD prog in Jamaica and various busts down the years.

I'd factor the new breed of shoes into her recent PB rather than doing anything else different to the rest of her career.

Regardless of the source in Houlihan's case, why would someone aiming for an Olympic Medal do this:
    " eating a burrito “from an authentic Mexican food truck that serves pig offal near my house in Beaverton, Oregon”"
    Yeah, get me some of that healthy nutritious pig offal from a truck.

For her and her coaches to claim they'd never heard of Nandrolone is a joke. No doubt Paula R will be out to defend her soon as she's on the Nike $, as with Salazar.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Fair enough.

Athletes collapse with heart issues reasonably frequently - it's what happened to Goolearts isn't it. I think the work exposes any underlying heart problems which might not normally show up.

Happened to a guy in my bike club in 2019 and I don't think he was on anything... and several a year at the London Marathon.

Of course it doesn't mean they're clean etc., but I don't think a player every few years collapsing due to a heart problem has any significance at all in that regard.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I did the RVV sportive on a hot weekend and saw it happen twice! Neither of them looked like they were on anything (other than high quality beer) 🙁
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey

Regardless of the source in Houlihan's case, why would someone aiming for an Olympic Medal do this:
    " eating a burrito “from an authentic Mexican food truck that serves pig offal near my house in Beaverton, Oregon”"

That's the Contador excuse.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741

That's the Contador excuse.
    Yup and it didn't work the first time.
    It's an offal excuse.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.