What tyres?

Hi, I have a Carerra hybrid with tyre size: 44-622
(700x42c - 28x 1⅝) fitted.

I need to change the tyres for a more wider and grippier tyre. My 13 year old son is getting into his trail riding and I need something that will allow me to keep up with him and obviously the current tyres are not suitable.

It appears as though they are an in-between size and I am struggling to find a suitable fit. There is plenty of clearance to fit over a 2" wide tyre.

If anyone could advise or even point me somewhere I could find a suitable fit please let me know. I am only looking for a cheap option as I will be not pushing the pace!!
:#

Thanks G

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    700c is the same as 29" so just look for a suitable MTB tyre or a gravel tyre.
    Although there may be adequate tyre clearance between the fork legs and seat & chain stays make sure the tyres you choose are not too wide for the wheel rims.

“Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA said:

700c is the same as 29" so just look for a suitable MTB tyre or a gravel tyre.
    Although there may be adequate tyre clearance between the fork legs and seat & chain stays make sure the tyres you choose are not too wide for the wheel rims.

Thanks for advice. I was wondering if there is a difference in whell rims or if they come as standard.?

I'll have a check, Many thanks
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    To find out what width tyres will suit your wheel rim, measure the internal width of the rim and then take a look at the first table on this link.
    https://www.wtb.com/pages/tire-rim-fit-chart

Rim widths across the top, tyre widths down the side. You will see that there is a range of tyre widths. For your use, the narrower the faster on tarmac. But if you want to go fast on rough trails you need some compliance in the tyres, so go wider and with lower pressures. You will be OK at the front, but be wary of just fitting the widest that will pass between the rear stays. The wheel flexes and the tyre can make contact with the stays and wear the paint off very quickly followed by the frame.

As for the exact tyre choice, brand, tread pattern etc, I will leave that to people who do the sort of riding you are looking at doing. Maybe ask those you see doing it and ask them?
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Check clearance to underside of fork aswell. Bigger tyres are taller as well as wider!
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited June 2021
    As mentioned clearance is key as to a suitable replacement.

To add another consideration, front derailleur cages and maybe even chains (in lowest gear) can also end up giving you clearance issues with outer edge of wider tyres.