Campagnolo power torque cup threads

I recently replaced my campagnolo veloce crank and power torque BB cups, but noticed the corrosion in the bottom bracket had severely affected the internal threads.
Do you know if there’s anything that can replace the cups without a thread but will fit a Campagnolo Veloce Power Torque crank.

Comments

• plgd
    plgd Posts: 4

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,194
    Press fit is hardly an option but although those threads look a little worse for wear, if the cups tighten*, then there is no problem.
    *and they really don't need to be very tight, a bit of Locktite would suffice as the crank centre bolt is torqued up to between 46 and 52nm. @52nm, it ain't going anywhere.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    edited June 2021
    As Pinno says, they aren't going anywhere.
    Run a tap through if necessary, clean and loctite.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    But what I want to know is why the cups needed to be removed in the first place. They don't exactly wear out and the only reason you would remove them is an upgrade to Ultra torque (slightly different profile) or a heinous crime such as - different brand of components. Eeek.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    pinno said:

But what I want to know is why the cups needed to be removed in the first place. They don't exactly wear out and the only reason you would remove them is an upgrade to Ultra torque (slightly different profile) or a heinous crime such as - different brand of components. Eeek.

I remove and inspect mine annually, mostly for peace of mind. Don't want them seizing in the steel threads.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    Yes, I did this with my Pinarello (with Alu BB shell) and eventually, by virtue of the periodic inspection, threaded the cups.
    So they went in with Loctite and were never removed after that. Despite being threaded (RHS), they never moved or squeaked.
    Since then on any frame I have, I assemble with a spot of copper ease and never touch them.
  • plgd
    Thanks all for your comments. the crank shaft and bearings were 7 years old, so I had to replace, as they were completely warn. While I was at it I had to replace the cups, as the Poer Torque left cup comes with the bearing.
    In future I will inspect annually and not remove the cups unless the bearings are warm.
    Ideally if I do this on a regular basis, I was hoping there was a replacement for the power torque cups, with a tube fit version (not sure the correct name for those).
    Thanks.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I’d re-tap the threads. They’re not that bad, certainly not beyond rescuing from what I can see.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • plgd
    Thanks Ben.
    Will do.