Cavendish for the Tour? Should people work for free?

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,137
edited June 2021 in Pro race
It’s two weeks away so I’m going start this as there is news.

According to his newspaper column Lefevere says Sam Bennett is unlikely to be fit. And Cavendish doesn’t want to do the Tour unless he’s paid more (which Lefevere understands). A new contract could fix it.
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/who-are-the-bookiess-favourites-for-the-tour-de-france-2021

Not sure I'll be putting the mortgage on Padun, even at 50-1.

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited June 2021
    The thread that signifies to me the time when all the pro cyclists not taking part in the Tour get 6 weeks off from racing and can get in a spot of leisurely training. All while the days are at their longest and the weather, it's kindest.

And yet the UCI still cites calendar congestion to explain why teams have to send under strength squads when several races are on at the same time.

Bonkers.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.

The thread that signifies to me the time when all the pro cyclists not taking part in the Tour get 6 weeks off from racing and can get in a spot of leisurely training. All while the days are at their longest and the weather, it's kindest.

And yet the UCI still cites calendar congestion to explain why teams have to send under strength squads when several races are on at the same time.

Bonkers.

And Women's Cycling decides that this absolutely the best time to run the closest thing they have to their own Grand Tour.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    RichN95. said:

Bonkers.

And Women's Cycling decides that this absolutely the best time to run the closest thing they have to their own Grand Tour.
    Conflicting thoughts on this. Women's cycling will be overshadowed by the men's event, but it makes logical sense while the infrastructure is in place.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    RichN95. said:

According to his newspaper column Lefevere says Sam Bennett is unlikely to be fit. And Cavendish doesn’t want to do the Tour unless he’s paid more (which Lefevere understands). A new contract could fix it.

man trying to re-ignite career who was scrabbling for a contract refuses to ride in the biggest race unless they pay him more?

eh?

how about ride, get in the shop window, get signed on newer more lucrative contract rather than risk blowing it all?

or is it smoke and mirrors?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195

Bonkers.

You'd have to be mad to try and run a race while the Tour is on. You'd get zero coverage in any medium
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

Bonkers.

Conflicting thoughts on this. Women's cycling will be overshadowed by the men's event, but it makes logical sense while the infrastructure is in place.
    Err.. I'm not sure the women's Giro and the Tour share much infrastructure
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    pblakeney said:

I'm referring to the Giro Donne
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,503
    RichN95. said:

Interesting. What's wrong with Bennett? I'd imagine Cavendish would ride it for free if he thought about it, but it's probably reasonably to ask for something given the publicity he brings.
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2021
    MattFalle said:

man trying to re-ignite career who was scrabbling for a contract refuses to ride in the biggest race unless they pay him more?

eh?

how about ride, get in the shop window, get signed on newer more lucrative contract rather than risk blowing it all?

Cavendish is essentially paying for his own place on the team at the moment with sponsorship money he bought in. And he doesn't want to ride the Tour for free.
  • MattFalle
    Well no, he's not. His sponsors are paying for him. Plus he'll be taking, at the least, expenses and a minimum wage. his agent ain't daft.

I'd do anything I could to get myself back in the shop window if I was in his position - 3 weeks smashing yourself to bits for a new well paid contract or sit back and stick to subsistence payments racing the Tour of Turkey.
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2021
    MattFalle said:

Well no, he's not. His sponsors are paying for him. Plus he'll be taking, at the least, expenses and a minimum wage. his agent ain't daft.

I'd do anything I could to get myself back in the shop window if I was in his position - 3 weeks smashing yourself to bits for a new well paid contract or sit back and stick to subsistence payments racing the Tour of Turkey.

His sponsors may pay him, but the team sponsors don't. He only earns what he brings in, He gets nothing from Deceunink, Quick-Step, Lidl etc. And he thinks they should pay. Lefevere actually agrees.

He doesn't need to put himself in the shop window. He's Mark Cavendish.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    MattFalle said:

This.
    Especially if he's in any kind of form so that he could win a stage.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

His sponsors may pay him, but the team sponsors don't. He only earns what he brings in, He gets nothing from Deceunink, Quick-Step, Lidl etc. And he thinks they should pay. Lefevere actually agrees.

He doesn't need to put himself in the shop window. He's Mark Cavendish.
    Yes he does need to get himself in the shop window for precisely the fact that he gets nothing from Deceunik/Quick Step/etc. nothing, nada, nil, nowt.

Why should they pay if he doesn't work? I agree with them - train, race, win big races: get paid.

Don't do big stuff that provides a financial return on investment - don't get paid .

its business, not charity.

you've just proven MF's point.

Being Cavendish isn't reason enough for having him on the roster if he brings nothing to the party.

Bennett or Cavendish - who's more marketable with a long term future? Begins with "B".
  • RichN95.
    Leading one of the biggest teams at the biggest race of the year isn't a stagiaire gig. It's a proper job with big responsibilities and should be rewarded accordingly.

Bennett may have a more long term future, but he's leaving DQS
  • MattFalle
    He has no real contract.

He's not getting paid at the mo'

There is no long term future in him for the people paying his wages.

If he leaves his current team, where us he going to go?

He needs this gig more than they need him.

I know there is English jingoism attached to him but this is reality in a post Covid economically uncertain world.
  • MattFalle
    His reward would be a paid contract next year.
  • RichN95.
    MattFalle said:

He has no real contract.

He's not getting paid at the mo'

There is no long term future in him for the people paying his wages.

If he leaves his current team, where us he going to go?

He needs this gig more than they need him.

I know there is English jingoism attached to him but this is reality in a post Covid economically uncertain world.

If he's good enough for to ride in the Tour team, then he's good enough for a proper contract right now. Not next year.
  • MattFalle
    No he's not which is why he a) doesn't have one or b) getting offered one (as far as we know).

he needs to prove himself which he is refusing to do whether for financial reasins or anything else we don't know about.

this is business, not charity based on past laurels of grandeur.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741

Bonkers.

You'd have to be mad to try and run a race while the Tour is on. You'd get zero coverage in any medium
    Depends what you mean by any coverage.
    L'Occitanie's coverage this week is on Facebook and is basically an unwatchable last 30kms.

Tour of Austria has generally managed OK running as it does, during the Tour's first week.
    Used to have pretty extensive coverage too, until it caught the German doping phobia.

Bare in mind that I am not talking major races, here., where coverage tends to be localised.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,217
    Lol Matt hasn’t worked out that being a professional means you get paid to ride not the other way around.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Why would DQS pay Cavendish more to not win Tour Stages, when they could take Jakobsen to not win Tour stages?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Meeow
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

Why would DQS pay Cavendish more to not win Tour Stages, when they could take Jakobsen to not win Tour stages?

Sponsor coverage I guess.
  • MattFalle
    edited June 2021

Lol Matt hasn’t worked out that being a professional means you get paid to ride not the other way around.

LOL Rick hasn't worked out that to be paid you have to be good enough/have an economic return to team or sponsor.

Cavendish, at the mo', ain't got either.

And, tbh, LOL, Rick hasn't worked out that yup, cycling is one of those sports where you have to bring something to the party - money, sponsors, success - otherwise no one wants you.

a minority following in a minority sport in a third world minirity country isn't really bring lobster to the banquet now....

put your work head on Rick and you'll understand.

#blimey
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

eh?

^^^This^^^

Cavendish needs to take a reality check IMHO.
  • rick_chasey
    If he’s good enough to be taken to the Tour he is good enough to be paid properly.

• TheBigBean
    The cyclingtips article posted in the other thread suggests there is more to do it than money. If he rides the tour there will be a lot of pressure and responsibility and might not be ready for that.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

The cyclingtips article posted in the other thread suggests there is more to do it than money. If he rides the tour there will be a lot of pressure and responsibility and might not be ready for that.

Yeah, he's just doesn't have the experience or ego...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    elbowloh said:

Yeah, he's just doesn't have the experience or ego...
    Which protects him from any form of depression and means no recovery is required?