About to pull the trigger on an On One Scandal - anything else I should consider?

As per title. The very pretty Scandal

My budget is really around the £1200 mark but I am willing to break it for the right bike. I guess the fact it this is in stock is a big reason.

I am after a trail bike that I can also ride all day and on some roads (might commute up to 10 miles). So reasonably lightweight, comfortable and fun. 130mm travel seems perfect. I am particularly fussy in regards to forks and this has a RockShox 35 Gold RL DebonAir which I am particularly excited about.

Lots of hardtails around the £1200 price range have Judy's which is a deal breaker for me, I would go for a Reba for that price but I haven't found anything that I like quite as much as this - even though it is £200 over budget.

Does anyone have any bikes that they are fond of that would compete with this? Going to sleep on it before ordering so thought I would do some final due diligence

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Sonder Dial NX?
    Same price as the Scandal but has a Reba fork, although only 100mm travel.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Ah I had taken a look at those. To be honest the Signal would be more what I would look at as it's also 130mm. My main trail riding would be at Peaslake and I don't think I would have as much fun on 100mm

https://alpkit.com/products/sonder-signal-st-sx-eagle

The signal is nice though. The silver recon feels like a big step down, however it does have a dropper unlike the on one... Something to think about, thanks
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You can upgrade the fork to a Revelation when you order the Signal but it's a £200 extra.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Ragley Marley 1.0
  • Ragley Marley 1.0

A few of these came into stock at the beginning of the week and sold out almost immediately. But will keep an eye

JBA said:

You can upgrade the fork to a Revelation when you order the Signal but it's a £200 extra.

hmmm that brings it to the same price with very similar spec but a better fork. That's a spanner in the works
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Ever since they were introduced, I've had a bit of a bike crush on the On One Whippet, apparently many find it rides like it looks... A lot of fun, with masses of tyre clearance.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Ever since they were introduced, I've had a bit of a bike crush on the On One Whippet, apparently many find it rides like it looks... A lot of fun, with masses of tyre clearance.

This that's the case with me. I just really like the scandal and it would take something quite impressive to stop me getting it. I do slightly prefer the shape of the Big Dog as it's a bit neater being steel but I don't think it's worth the weight gain for me.

Would definitely have considered the whippet but they're only doing them with rigid forks atm
  • Forgot to add I would be losing 20mm of travel and the accompanying geo change
  • Forgot to add I would be losing 20mm of travel and the accompanying geo change

Not sure what happened here.

Anyway. I spoke with Planet X on their live chat and he recommended waiting for the Big Dog to come in stock. Same price and spec but a steel frame - he said it's a better ride. I am super impatient but think he's right. Stock is due the end of July
  • Have just been looking at the Grand Canyon 8 which comes out at about £50 more.

It does have a shimano drivetrain and brakes which look a bit better. A dropper which is an obvious plus. Anyone know much about the Fox 34 Rhythms and how they might compare to the RS 35s? I have always been a RS fan since I had a truly awful set of basic Fox forks but I imagine they wouldn't be comparable to these. Waiting for the cyclescheme cert to come though - will be ordering this week :smiley: