Rude cyclist who seem to think they are Pros and ignore you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    dennisn said:

I wonder if there is something in Rapha jerseys that stops people lifting their hands from the bars. Some sort of safety feature that justifies the price of the clothing?? That would then innocently explain why cool people try to look like they are too cool to wave.

Do people still think this s**t??

Grow up.
    "Grow up"?????? We are talking males here. Not sure if males actually do grow up.
    FTFY.
    The toys just get more expensive.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    dennisn said:

I wonder if there is something in Rapha jerseys that stops people lifting their hands from the bars. Some sort of safety feature that justifies the price of the clothing?? That would then innocently explain why cool people try to look like they are too cool to wave.

Grow up.
    "Grow up"?????? We are talking cyclists here. Not sure if cyclists actually do grow up.
    clubbies do. they seem to go from "happy" to "look at me, i'm a clubbie, i'm serious and mature and pro and A CLUB MEMBER" the instant they pull on a badly designed spandex top.

they seem to miss out formative, fun, happy, jolly developmental years of carefree pedalling and go straight to to old, patronising and boring.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    MattFalle said:

dennisn said:

Grow up.
    "Grow up"?????? We are talking cyclists here. Not sure if cyclists actually do grow up.
    clubbies do. they seem to go from "happy" to "look at me, i'm a clubbie, i'm serious and mature and pro and A CLUB MEMBER" the instant they pull on a badly designed spandex top.

they seem to miss out formative, fun, happy, jolly developmental years of carefree pedalling and go straight to to old, patronising and boring.
    Did someone in a club once look at you in the wrong tone of voice when you were riding your bike with stabilisers or something?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

dennisn said:

Grow up.

Did someone in a club once look at you in the wrong tone of voice when you were riding your bike with stabilisers or something?
    He was humilated at a cafe stop once, because someone at the club knew something he didn't. Never got over it.
  • MattFalle
    andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

dennisn said:

Grow up.

how can you look at someone in the wrong tone of voice?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited May 2021

andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

dennisn said:

Grow up.

He was humilated at a cafe stop once, because someone at the club knew something he didn't. Never got over it.
    No I think his parents were clubbies who abandoned him in an Italian cave whilst on a club run because other members wouldn’t let him continue due his nappy not matching the club kit.
    He was then brought up by wolves.
  • MattFalle
    So long as Ididn't have to fight those wolves that doesn't actually seem too bad

#Romulus&Remus
  • Kaiser Sose
    Kaiser Sose Posts: 90
    I started this thread initially and it was just an observation that there are a lot of cyclists that cannot even be bothered to raise an hand to acknowledge another fellow cyclist. The fat ones with all the fancy clobber and flashiest bikes tend to be the worst! I have taken a flaming on this thread but I still maintain that there are a lot of miserable people out there. Of course, it is a reflection on them as individuals and not of cycling in general.

We are brothers and sisters in arms, sharing a common passion. I'm not suggesting we all have a social and wave like a mad person when we pass another cyclist. But fingers raised off the handlebars in acknowledgement of another, fellow enthusiast is not so much to ask, is it? Not everyone is at max HR or on a PB and on the limit that chooses to just blank you. That was the motivation behind the original post. No I do not have social issues nor am I delicate in nature. Quite the contrary. I was just sharing an observation.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    We are not brothers and sisters in arms. We are sad nerds on an internet forum who happen to ride bikes.

Get a grip.
  • pblakeney
    Grip of? 🤔
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • shirley_basso
    yourself. Regain some composure and self control.
  • pblakeney
    Some would say that getting a grip of yourself displays a lack of self control. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • MattFalle
    brothers and sisters in arms?

wtaf?

seriously?

seriously seriously?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Someone will post a link to that dreary tune by Dire Straits in a minute...
  • MattFalle
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    I'm kind of with the op on this one, especially for us rural country folk. It's standard common courtesy when you're passing someone to raise a hand, give a nod or just a quick hello. That goes for walking as well as cycling. The excuse of 'I don't even notice other cyclists' that some have spewed says to me you shouldn't even be on the road if you're that unaware of your surroundings that you don't see other road users.

I understand in a city or built up area that acknowledging everyone is unrealistic, unnecessary and it would be an unsafe distraction from all the pedestrians, motorists etc. But out in the countryside things are different.

That being said I don't really understand why people choose to live in cities anyway. So if you're that way inclined maybe it's best you stay there :D
  • shirley_basso
    That's the joke.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I don't,as a rule.like people.I try to avoid talking to strangers as much as possible.So If I don't acknowledge you don't take it personally you are actually part of a huge group of cyclists I don't acknowledge B)
  • imposter2.0
    sniper68 said:

I don't,as a rule.like people.I try to avoid talking to strangers as much as possible.So If I don't acknowledge you don't take it personally you are actually part of a huge group of cyclists I don't acknowledge B)

That's fine. Maybe you could get a jersey printed up with your forum name so we know it's you when you don't respond.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910

sniper68 said:

That's fine. Maybe you could get a jersey printed up with your forum name so we know it's you when you don't respond.
    Good idea!
    I could make it even more cringe-worthy by having a Team Ineos/Movistar/Jumbo jersey with my forum name on it then I really would look like a rude cyclist who thinks he's a pro!

• Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,696

sniper68 said:

You've said it now...
    There'll be dozens of cyclists with "sinper68" tops out there

Ordinary (non-cycling) Folk will see them be wondering what they've missed!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    sniper68 said:

That's why you kill from a distance.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • imposter2.0

sniper68 said:

You've said it now...
    There'll be dozens of cyclists with "sinper68" tops out there

Ordinary (non-cycling) Folk will see them be wondering what they've missed!
    Expect to see the new 'Sniper68' clothing range out very soon. It's actually a pretty good brand name.. ;)
  • If I were you I would seek counselling for your insecurity issues, that way you then wouldn’t give a flying censored whether people wave back at you or not. Simple and you aren’t relying on other people to change their behaviour then...

You’re welcome. 👋

Is that a wanking hand graphic? It looks to me like a hand jerking off but I'm sure it is not intended to look that way.

Why do people care so much about stuff that doesn't matter? I could not care less if bikers wave or nod at me or not. I do care if they try to steal my bike, attack me or do something that is actually bad.
  • pblakeney
    Always interesting how people interpret even the simplest of things.
    Gives you an indication of how their minds work.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Strava flyby used to be the solution to this issue. When someone doesn't wave back at me "with attitude" (as opposed to obviously just being focussed on other things), I check afterwards that they are slower than me - they always are. That's probably why they were so miserable in the first place.
  • MattFalle
    neeb said:

Strava flyby used to be the solution to this issue. When someone doesn't wave back at me "with attitude" (as opposed to obviously just being focussed on other things), I check afterwards that they are slower than me - they always are. That's probably why they were so miserable in the first place.

so are you like fast, fast?
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    MattFalle said:

neeb said:

so are you like fast, fast?
    Not particularly (but it's all relative, innit?). It's just that really miserable people tend to be slow. Scowls have been shown to be the least aero facial expression.
  • s1mples
    s1mples Posts: 63

I started this thread initially and it was just an observation that there are a lot of cyclists that cannot even be bothered to raise an hand to acknowledge another fellow cyclist. The fat ones with all the fancy clobber and flashiest bikes tend to be the worst! I have taken a flaming on this thread but I still maintain that there are a lot of miserable people out there. Of course, it is a reflection on them as individuals and not of cycling in general.

We are brothers and sisters in arms, sharing a common passion. I'm not suggesting we all have a social and wave like a mad person when we pass another cyclist. But fingers raised off the handlebars in acknowledgement of another, fellow enthusiast is not so much to ask, is it? Not everyone is at max HR or on a PB and on the limit that chooses to just blank you. That was the motivation behind the original post. No I do not have social issues nor am I delicate in nature. Quite the contrary. I was just sharing an observation.

I've lived, walked, cycled and swam in different areas and people are different in different areas. Personally I'm like you, I like a nod, wave, hiya and the occasional chat dependent on what I'm doing. I get that there is a difference between town and country but what is hard about saying hello or just nodding to another (if you noticed the gesture). I put it down to social skills and internally feel sorry for those that are missing out. It is good for the soul to interact with others even if it is only a fleeting comment.

Each to there own I suppose. Enjoy your own social skills and be glad that you contribute to the well being of others who engage with your positive outlook. If you don't normally do it try it for a bit and see if you get any benefit... you may be surprised :smile: