Bar tape recommendations

Hey everyone, just wanted to know your opinions on the current bar tapes that are available. I previously rode on the S-wrap Roubaix which lasted about 3000km and I got it changed to Supacaz's bling tape but it was absolutely horrific. It didn't stick properly and kept moving around and was not even grippy when wet. I then went on to try supacaz's super sticky kush but turns out it was the previous version where it was more sticky and shiny compared to the current model they offer. So after much contemplation and research, i decided to try the Fizik Vento Microtex which is 2mm in depth and so far it has been immaculate however I do realise in terms of durability. The grip near the rubber hoods has started to deteriorate slightly after about a month of use i would say.

I've searched many different types and I was contemplating Fabric's Knurl tape, the latest model of Supacaz's super sticky kush, the PRO race comfort tape, zipp's service course tape and basically, there are a lot of others haha. I was considering lizard's skin however i heard that it's not as durable and when applying it, you can't really give tension cause it will cause the layer to separate? I've heard really good things about the PRO race comfort.

I usually cycle mainly on-road and without gloves. I live in a tropical country so sweating and wet hands is a huge issue. I was hoping if there were suggestions for handlebar tapes mainly for road riding that is durable, comfortable and grippy even in the wet? Appreciate all the advice you guys have to offer! Thanks a mil!

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    I've been using bog basic Deda and Selcof (a tenner and £6 each respectively) and haven't had a problem in years.

No gloves, hot and cold climes but not much absorption, but I'm not after that.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • kylekoh00
    kylekoh00 Posts: 9
    MattFalle said:

I've been using bog basic Deda and Selcof (a tenner and £6 each respectively) and haven't had a problem in years.

How are they like? are they comfortable in terms of road feel? thanks a bunch for a reco! :smile:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591
    Cinelli gel cork. Does what it says on the tin.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    I've switched my best bike to Tortec SuperComfort which I really like. Much better than the Lizard Skinz it replaced and crucially much easier to wrap!
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    I've not used the Fizik tape you're using, but it seems quite a bit thinner than the Fabric and Pro tapes you've mentioned, both of which I have used. If you've been happy with Fizik, they make a more cushioned tape called Terra Bondcush (stupid name) which is more comparable to the PRO and Fabric in terms on thickness. I've only quickly handled a sample at the Cycle Show pre-covid, but it felt very grippy.

I really liked both the Pro Comfort and the Fabric Knurl, although I'm mostly talking from memory about the PRO as I removed it about 18 months ago to change handlebars and couldn't get more. The PRO was maybe a bit thicker, and both are pretty grippy even with wet hands, although I mostly ride in mitts. Both are quite thick and if you like a figure 8 wrap you need to pull tight to avoid excessive bulk, but both took the pulling without tearing for me.

I'm using Fabric Knurl at the moment. Not sure exactly how many kilometres I've used it for, maybe 2,500 or so, and it's holding up fine. A little wear near the hoods but still very grippy, no other issues. I'd happily buy either again, whichever was cheaper at the time.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    The last I got was Enve Handlebar Tape which is a bit costly but it's long and so allows a closer wrap.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,229
    So I too ride without gloves etc.

I find sticky tape really uncomfortable when it gets hot and I find thin slippery tape not helpful with sweaty hands.

So I chose this fizik stuff: https://www.fizik.com/uk_en/tempo-microtex-bondcush-soft.html

which I have had now for a good five years and it looks still new. Would recommend.

It is not sticky to touch, quite soft, but no slipperyness when wet. It's fairly thick.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Bontrager supertack is, um, tacky. Lasts ages as well.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Cinelli Gel Cork. I’ve tried fancy and expensive alternatives over the years but keep going back to it.
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 138

I find sticky tape really uncomfortable when it gets hot and I find thin slippery tape not helpful with sweaty hands.

So I chose this fizik stuff: https://www.fizik.com/uk_en/tempo-microtex-bondcush-soft.html

which I have had now for a good five years and it looks still new. Would recommend.

It is not sticky to touch, quite soft, but no slipperyness when wet. It's fairly thick.

I've just chosen and bought some of this, for much the same reasons as you (and it was actually in stock!), so good to hear the positive review :)
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Cinelli gel cork. But real men use electrical tape or nothing.
  • kylekoh00
    akh said:

I've not used the Fizik tape you're using, but it seems quite a bit thinner than the Fabric and Pro tapes you've mentioned, both of which I have used. If you've been happy with Fizik, they make a more cushioned tape called Terra Bondcush (stupid name) which is more comparable to the PRO and Fabric in terms on thickness. I've only quickly handled a sample at the Cycle Show pre-covid, but it felt very grippy.

I really liked both the Pro Comfort and the Fabric Knurl, although I'm mostly talking from memory about the PRO as I removed it about 18 months ago to change handlebars and couldn't get more. The PRO was maybe a bit thicker, and both are pretty grippy even with wet hands, although I mostly ride in mitts. Both are quite thick and if you like a figure 8 wrap you need to pull tight to avoid excessive bulk, but both took the pulling without tearing for me.

I'm using Fabric Knurl at the moment. Not sure exactly how many kilometres I've used it for, maybe 2,500 or so, and it's holding up fine. A little wear near the hoods but still very grippy, no other issues. I'd happily buy either again, whichever was cheaper at the time.

If you would have to choose one out of the two which would you prefer in terms of overall? Thanks again for the reco! :smile:
  • kylekoh00

Cinelli gel cork. But real men use electrical tape or nothing.

say no more electrical tape it is :D
  • kylekoh00
    singleton said:

The last I got was Enve Handlebar Tape which is a bit costly but it's long and so allows a closer wrap.

how's the comfort and durability of these tapes? Are they grippy in the wet even if I'm cycling without gloves?
  • kylekoh00

Recently just saw reviews on that look really promising thanks for the reco!
  • kylekoh00

Cinelli Gel Cork. I’ve tried fancy and expensive alternatives over the years but keep going back to it.

Many people talk about cinelli's gel cork, how is the grip during wet rides and the durability and comfort?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591
    kylekoh00 said:

Many people talk about cinelli's gel cork, how is the grip during wet rides and the durability and comfort?
    Good, been on for 3 years and still going, excellent.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    kylekoh00 said:

Good grip in the wet and dry, pleasant texture to hold, long lasting. The tacky gel backing holds tape in place on bars but doesn’t stick like glue so you can unwind and rewind if necessary. I find it easy to install but it could rip if you were hamfisted. The gel gives added comfort compared with standard cork tape. Cinelli Gel tape is also widely available.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    kylekoh00 said:

singleton said:

how's the comfort and durability of these tapes? Are they grippy in the wet even if I'm cycling without gloves?
    I'm afraid I can't really comment as I have not used that bike much since I put the tape on.
  • Lizard Skins DSP here.

Sure, you;re not supposed to stretch the fork out of it, but a little bit of tension is fine- you kind of push it around more than anything. Never had any seperate on me in many years/ tapes.

There's some stuff that came on a Synapse I recently bought (pre-built), which is really good, but no idea what it is, unless it is generic Cannondale stuff obvs...
  • rick_chasey
    Defblade said:

I've just chosen and bought some of this, for much the same reasons as you (and it was actually in stock!), so good to hear the positive review :)
    Hope it works out for you.

I should add I had a professional put it on my bike. This may have contributed to it lasting so long.
  • MattFalle
    kylekoh00 said:

MattFalle said:

How are they like? are they comfortable in terms of road feel? thanks a bunch for a reco! :smile:
    no worries - pleasure to help any time.

tbh, i don't even notice its there - i don't slip on the 'tape whether i'm sweating or wearing thick winter gloves, the 'tape has never slipped, it is torn in one place where the bike fell over but never because of use, it looks matt and cool and black.

minimal padding but i'm not really worried about that because i don't grip grip my 'bars, I'm more a hoods or resting on top kinda rider.

and its dirt cheap, which is a bonus.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

Defblade said:

I should add I had a professional put it on my bike. This may have contributed to it lasting so long.
    Bodie or Doyle?

• MattFalle

Defblade said:

a professional bar tape putter on-er?

seriously?
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Either Deda or BBB basic stuff, whichever is cheapest.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021
    MattFalle said:

Defblade said:

a professional bar tape putter on-er?

seriously?
    Guy who works in a bike shop for a living.

Yeah I got a load of stuff changed for which I had no tools so whilst I was at it I got him to stick on the tape.

I am not very good at this stuff - have put tape on other bikes and it never lasts as long.

I have the cheap stuff on my SS which I've got a good 20,000km on it and the premium stuff is better, if you know what you want from it.
  • First.Aspect
    How can the way you wrap bar tape have any relationship to its wear characteristics?
  • rick_chasey

How can the way you wrap bar tape have any relationship to its wear characteristics?

Falls off the bike more quickly.
  • First.Aspect

Falls off the bike more quickly.
    Falls off? You must *really, really* suck at wrapping things around a tube.

There are videos on the internet that might help.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021
    Yeah I'm not very good at manual things generally. Can barely write legibly, generally things like that.