Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

It is the beauty of (especially spoken) language that ultimately no-one can control where it goes...

I think this is the crux. I speak German, with slang terms and colloquial vowel sounds... if I'm doing that even as a non-native, then languages will never be standardised!

Apparently my Italian is like that, people can tell where I'm from by my accent and I tend to use the Veneto version of some words. But my vocabulary is not as good as my accent and I do get things wrong quite often.

I come unstuck all the time! You need to be speaking a language regularly, to keep the vocabulary up to scratch.

It's partly why I run a Facebook Page in French, so I get daily conversational-type French, and it forces me to look up words and try to remember idioms, so it isn't a laborious process every time. Book learning only takes you so far. If you know anything about native language acquisition, it makes you realise how much catching up you have to do in a 'foreign' language, and what you take for granted in your own. English is a doddle in some ways, but in others (word order and modal verbs etc) it's a nightmare for non-native speakers... plus the fact that we mumble everything and nearly all non-stressed vowels end up as schwas.
    Can you send me a link please? Ta
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

It is the beauty of (especially spoken) language that ultimately no-one can control where it goes...

I think this is the crux. I speak German, with slang terms and colloquial vowel sounds... if I'm doing that even as a non-native, then languages will never be standardised!

Apparently my Italian is like that, people can tell where I'm from by my accent and I tend to use the Veneto version of some words. But my vocabulary is not as good as my accent and I do get things wrong quite often.

I come unstuck all the time! You need to be speaking a language regularly, to keep the vocabulary up to scratch.
    Am finding that going through a phase of listening to Rammstein is helping me remember my GCSE German 😆
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

It's partly why I run a Facebook Page in French, so I get daily conversational-type French, and it forces me to look up words and try to remember idioms, so it isn't a laborious process every time. Book learning only takes you so far. If you know anything about native language acquisition, it makes you realise how much catching up you have to do in a 'foreign' language, and what you take for granted in your own. English is a doddle in some ways, but in others (word order and modal verbs etc) it's a nightmare for non-native speakers... plus the fact that we mumble everything and nearly all non-stressed vowels end up as schwas.

It's mostly photos - supposed to be mostly France, but I've had to keep it going with UK photos mostly, as I'm getting short of 'souvenirs' that I've not used before... for obvious reasons. https://www.facebook.com/unanglaisendiois
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Pross said:

Expect the gender argument to flare up in the Olympics. I think there is a former man turned woman competing as a woman in the weightlifting.

Rich over on Pro Race came up with the most sensible solution to this where in sport you have a female category open only to those born female and an open category for everyone else.
    So that is logical but really misses why the men go through the transition to women in the first place - they want to be recognised by the world as women, not as former men, if that make sense.

That is what the tension is around.
    Sure but there has to be an acknowledgement that leads to unfair advantage in a sporting environment. Having a non-gender related 'open' category seems the only thing close to a solution. The alternative is you don't allow people to compete outside of the sex they were born as or sport just becomes meaningless.
  • shirley_basso

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

It's mostly photos - supposed to be mostly France, but I've had to keep it going with UK photos mostly, as I'm getting short of 'souvenirs' that I've not used before... for obvious reasons. https://www.facebook.com/unanglaisendiois
    White hoods! Controversial!
  • shirley_basso
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Expect the gender argument to flare up in the Olympics. I think there is a former man turned woman competing as a woman in the weightlifting.

Rich over on Pro Race came up with the most sensible solution to this where in sport you have a female category open only to those born female and an open category for everyone else.
    So that is logical but really misses why the men go through the transition to women in the first place - they want to be recognised by the world as women, not as former men, if that make sense.

Sure but there has to be an acknowledgement that leads to unfair advantage in a sporting environment. Having a non-gender related 'open' category seems the only thing close to a solution. The alternative is you don't allow people to compete outside of the sex they were born as or sport just becomes meaningless.
    Maybe it's a sacrifice you have to make if you transition - elite professional sport is off the cards.
  • briantrumpet

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Long story, but mainly as I can't be bothered to replace them. Sorry.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Pross said:

Maybe it's a sacrifice you have to make if you transition - elite professional sport is off the cards.
    That's the other way - I think having an open category gives an alternative.
  • Pross

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

I thought this was some sort of KKK reference - that would really be controversial!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    edited June 2021
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Right, I'm not saying it's right, i tend to lean towards the solution that you mentioned, but that cuts across the heart of what trans identity is about.

For some of these people the idea that society will never separate them from whatever sex they were born is genuinely traumatic and causes problems - hence all the faff around pronouns etc.

I can't really identify with it but if you dig into it, that is the reality.

Now, some of the solutions activists for them propose seem to me anyway to really infringe on the right or general cultural space of women (including sports!!!) and some of it really goes down a rabbit hole that doesn't really recognise the physical and biological realities of different sexes.

Anyway, there's no solution where someone isn't upset by it.

I have generally veered away from the discussion as it is probably the most toxic one I have ever come across - if you thought Brexit was bad this is 100x worse.

• Pross

Pross said:

Pross said:

Right, I'm not saying it's right, i tend to lean towards the solution that you mentioned, but that cuts across the heart of what trans identity is about.

For some of these people the idea that society will never separate them from whatever sex they were born is genuinely traumatic and causes problems - hence all the faff around pronouns etc.

Now, some of the solutions activists for them propose seem to me anyway to really infringe on the right or general cultural space of women (including sports!!!) and some of it really goes down a rabbit hole that doesn't really recognise the physical and biological realities of different sexes.

Yeah, I agree. I think I've got my head around the whole trans thing and try to remember the correct terms (not that I've ever had direct contact with anyone it applies to). I just think on this issue it is insurmountable. I remember watching the thing that Navratilova did on the subject after getting savaged by activists for her comments - ironic that someone who did so much in the 80s for the LGB part of LGBTQ+ got such a kicking. Activists tend to end up creating problems for any minority group as they'll never settle for reasonably practicable equality and end up alienating those who are generally supportive or at least ambivalent to their cause. In this case I suspect they would rather just see an end to sport than accept they can't get what they want.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    edited June 2021
    Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

My sister has lived in Italy for 30 years, her Italian is obviously far better than mine. Much to her annoyance her friends say my accent is better than hers. I can only guess that this is because as a kid she barely spoke whereas I was (am) a chatterbox. I think the accent is embedded at a fairly young age and although it can be improved it's never quite the same. Just guessing of course.
    My Mum has lived here for 50 years, well over half her life, but still has an Italian accent.
  • rjsterry

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

My sister has lived in Italy for 30 years, her Italian is obviously far better than mine. Much to her annoyance her friends say my accent is better than hers. I can only guess that this is because as a kid she barely spoke whereas I was (am) a chatterbox. I think the accent is embedded at a fairly young age and although it can be improved it's never quite the same. Just guessing of course.
    My Mum has lived here for 50 years, well over half her life, but still has an Italian accent.
    Accents are funny: my cousin's children have had in sequence Kent, Suffolk and Fife accents as the family has moved around the country. I've never had a Bristol accent despite spending my formative years surrounded by people that did.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

That's the other way - I think having an open category gives an alternative.
    I’m with you on this.
    Problem is it definitely is an issue and it’s not being debated properly.
    Martina Navratilova came under a lot of fire for saying what many people think.
    If I was the best of the best born female athletes and was being outpowered by somebody born a male, I would be pretty pissed about it.
    Weighlifting, rugby and cycling have all had high profile cases of successful trans athletes in women’s sport.
    A right to live the way you want to and the notion of fair competition are in direct opposition.
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Accents are funny: my cousin's children have had in sequence Kent, Suffolk and Fife accents as the family has moved around the country. I've never had a Bristol accent despite spending my formative years surrounded by people that did.

It is a thing of beauty, and, like a real Devon accent, is actually getting quite rare. We had one proper Bristolian in my form at school (generally the accent was more prevalent in south Bristol), and even then (1970s) it wasn't very common in young people.

If this doesn't make you smile, nothing will. I'd defy anyone to speak with this accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eILhPWEuWBY
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2021
    Oooh God aah. Ee don't ear they tork like tha' now
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Used to work with a Bristolian, used to love "where's that to, then?" for "where is it".
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    elbowloh said:

Used to work with a Bristolian, used to love "where's that to, then?" for "where is it".

I think you mean "Wearzatt to then, me loverr?"
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Yeah, I agree. I think I've got my head around the whole trans thing and try to remember the correct terms (not that I've ever had direct contact with anyone it applies to). I just think on this issue it is insurmountable. I remember watching the thing that Navratilova did on the subject after getting savaged by activists for her comments - ironic that someone who did so much in the 80s for the LGB part of LGBTQ+ got such a kicking. Activists tend to end up creating problems for any minority group as they'll never settle for reasonably practicable equality and end up alienating those who are generally supportive or at least ambivalent to their cause. In this case I suspect they would rather just see an end to sport than accept they can't get what they want.

"A l'exemple de Saturne, la révolution dévore ses enfants" Jacques Mallet du Pan.
  • Pross
    elbowloh said:

What's wrong with that? We say that over by yer too.

I used to play rugby for a team in one of the more working class areas of Bristol, there were some really strong accents. Gert lush.
  • elbowloh
    Pross said:

elbowloh said:

I used to play rugby for a team in one of the more working class areas of Bristol, there were some really strong accents. Gert lush.
    Nothing wrong, but very different to anything I'd heard before!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Yeah, just joking. It's very common in valleys Wales too. I attended a school in the Valleys but lived in a posher more rural area so had very little accent and spoke quite well when I started there. It was like a foreign language with 'where's it to', 'over by there' and 'you'me du do that'. I soon learned to drop my Hs and started getting an accent so eventually managed to fit in.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Yeah, just joking. It's very common in valleys Wales too. I attended a school in the Valleys but lived in a posher more rural area so had very little accent and spoke quite well when I started there. It was like a foreign language with 'where's it to', 'over by there' and 'you'me du do that'. I soon learned to drop my Hs and started getting an accent so eventually managed to fit in.

I didn't deliberately do anything to my accent, but realised I must have picked up a bit of heavy Devon when the young son of a friend turned to his dad, after I'd said something about cows, and asked "What are cay-oos, daddy?"
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2021
    @briantrumpet Just watching a YouTube video about remnants of Old English still in use. The Bristolian/West Country "bist" as in "'Ow bist?" - "How are you?" is apparently a direct relic that was replaced by "art" and then "are" in the Northern half of the country under influence from Old Norse.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• elbowloh
    edited June 2021
    rjsterry said:

@briantrumpet Just watching a YouTube video about remnants of Old English still in use. The Bristolian/West Country "bist" as in "'Ow bist?" - "How are you?" is apparently a direct relic that was replaced by "art" and then "are" in the Northern half of the country under influence from Old Norse.

" bist du" is German for "are you", as in

Wie bist du = how are you

Wo bist du = where are you

So would have thought it may have been Saxon rather than old English?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

Same origin as modern German, yes. Old English is is what Anglo-Saxons were speaking.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• elbowloh
    rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

Same origin as modern German, yes. Old English is is what Anglo-Saxons were speaking.
    Ah got you. I just assumed old English was pre- Saxon.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    What a Dubai Porta Potty is.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    shortfall said:

Had to Google that.

Used to know a bloke who was stationed in Germany whilst in the army. He and his mates used to supplement their income by sh!tting on a glass coffee table while a local German bloke watched from underneath.
    Takes all sorts I suppose.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196

shortfall said:

Had to Google that.

Used to know a bloke who was stationed in Germany whilst in the army. He and his mates used to supplement their income by sh!tting on a glass coffee table while a local German bloke watched from underneath.
    Takes all sorts I suppose.
    There was a French bloke who filmed a large number of women doing the same.

But that DPP is truly bizarre. I don't know if the women are so hell bent on making a dollar in whatever fashion that they are reprehensible or entrepreneurial. But there is no doubt that those arabs who pay for these things are vile, misogynists.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!