Commuting and carrying work stuff

How do people commute to work and carry work shirts/Trousers without getting them all creased up?
Starting a new job and deciding whether its a good idea to ride as I'll be in shirt/trousers which is something I've never had to wear at work.

Comments

• jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    It's a bit different now, but I used to take all my clothes in for the week on a Monday morning in a ruck sack, hang up the shirts in a cupboard (creases tend to fall out). Then bring all the 'dirty' clothing back on a Friday afternoon.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Take shirts/trousers/socks/pants in either in bulk, on a Saturday in bulk or meet wife who drove in outside and pick up shirts/trousers then.

hang up at work. at end of day just roll and tuck into pocket in back of cycling jersey.

not really a problem tbh.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Shirt and trousers in back rucksack on monday.
    Each day roll up a fresh shirt, back pocket, unroll and wear, roll up, come home.
    Friday bring the shirt and trousers home.
    Other methods are available...

Get Charles tyrwhitt to send 5 shirts for the monday, send them back on friday for a refund.
  • darkhairedlord
    Get a job in saville row
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Day one take two suits and all your shirts to work and leave somewhere useful in a suit carrier.

Cycle each day taking fresh pants and socks in a little waterproof bag / zip loc in your pocket. End of 10 days take the lot home.

Personally i wore each shirt 2 or 3 times as it doesn't get nearly as stinky without the extra hours spent on the underground.

If you have non iron shirts, you can get away with shop folding them and putting in a rucksack / panier and the creases will fall out after a while (that's what I did)
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    As SB says above.
    If you wear non-iron shirts and fold/roll them properly the creases will drop out when you put them on. Just don't pack the bag too tightly, stuffing too much in.

Same for regular work trousers.

I took in my clothes with me each day, trousers and shirt rolled around my socks/boxers. I didn't take anything in bulk at the start of the week or anything. Kept a pair of work shoes at work.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited June 2021
    I thought about doing that but used to go for an extra hour or two riding before work in regent's park so didn't want a backpack
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    is it worrying that they've employed a man who can't work out how ro carry clothes into work?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited June 2021
    Hold a hanger in each hand while commuting non-handed... What could possibly go wrong? :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    barker70 said:

How do people commute to work and carry work shirts/Trousers without getting them all creased up?
    Starting a new job and deciding whether its a good idea to ride as I'll be in shirt/trousers which is something I've never had to wear at work.

What have you previously worn? Onsie? Boiler suit? Wesuit? Nothing at all?
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Leave a suit and shoes in work, fold and roll a shirt each morning I ride in and take fresh undies each time. Only needs a small commuting rucksack.
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 138
    Much like the others - my size 12 smart Doccies stayed at work, then drove in on a Monday with trousers (and a pair to wear home again!) and 4 shirts... takes a little planning, but you'll soon get the swing.

Did have to allow maybe 20 minutes or so on top of the basic ride time in case of a puncture, and to give a bit of towelling down/changing time on arrival. Also kept a shower-in-a-can (Lynx or whatever) at work.
  • darkhairedlord
    Buy a load of shirts from the charity shop and burn them at the end of the week.
  • barker70
    barker70 Posts: 8

barker70 said:

What have you previously worn? Onsie? Boiler suit? Wesuit? Nothing at all?
    T-shirt or jumper and tracksuit bottoms when I was a printer, t-shirt and shorts when I was working at the Velodrome- easy to carry/leave at work.
    Where I'm going to work is a new building that isn't finished so not sure if there will be anywhere to store clothes for the week as I've not visited the place yet.
  • barker70
    MattFalle said:

is it worrying that they've employed a man who can't work out how ro carry clothes into work?

Not really, always thought this forum was full of helpful advice-that's why I re-joined and asked a simple question really, smart arse comments like yours don't really help do they!! muppet.
    Being front of house in a business I really don't want to be seen in creased clothing so if others have a good idea how to do this then thank you. I'd be more worried that you can't spell the word "TO"!!!
    As my parents would say...if you've nothing useful to say then don't say anything at all.
  • First.Aspect
    barker70 said:

MattFalle said:

Not really, always thought this forum was full of helpful advice-that's why I re-joined and asked a simple question really, smart censored comments like yours don't really help do they!! muppet.
    Being front of house in a business I really don't want to be seen in creased clothing so if others have a good idea how to do this then thank you. I'd be more worried that you can't spell the word "TO"!!!
    As my parents would say...if you've nothing useful to say then don't say anything at all.
    Ah. Unfortunately you guys have met.

In normal times I use non iron shirts. I warm them on a former (me) each morning to remove creases. I need to wear a suit so I just keep a couple in my office and get them dry cleaned every year or so. If it was smart-ish dress rather than a suit I would use the rolling the trousers technique that Johnhti suggested.

I can store a lot in my office so every couple of weeks I remove the drawer full of grundies and shirts and refresh.

Bigger issue is panniers Vs backpack.
  • barker70

barker70 said:

MattFalle said:

Not really, always thought this forum was full of helpful advice-that's why I re-joined and asked a simple question really, smart censored comments like yours don't really help do they!! muppet.

In normal times I use non iron shirts. I warm them on a former (me) each morning to remove creases. I need to wear a suit so I just keep a couple in my office and get them dry cleaned every year or so. If it was smart-ish dress rather than a suit I would use the rolling the trousers technique that Johnhti suggested.

I can store a lot in my office so every couple of weeks I remove the drawer full of grundies and shirts and refresh.

Thanks, some good advice, don't think me and matt falle have met.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    I’ve moved away from a back pack as it loads too much weight on my wrists so I’ve opted for a pannier rack. Whilst the back of the bike is heavy it’s less strain on my body and my back doesn’t get over heated either. The centre of gravity is lower which helps handling. Another aspect is to think ahead and ride smoothly.

I’ve changed my route, it’s a little longer now 14 rather than 11 miles as I’ve swapped busy A roads for mostly country and side roads which makes it a joy.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • First.Aspect
    barker70 said:

barker70 said:

MattFalle said:

Thanks, some good advice, don't think me and matt falle have met.
    I meant met on here.

Are you American?
  • barker70
    No, badly typing on my phone.
  • karlmcr
    karlmcr Posts: 16
    I have been using a shirt carrier for a while. The stiff inserts (madam) keep the shirts from creasing. Generally are slightly bigger than A4 size, so easy enough to fit into a backpack or pannier.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shirt-Carrier/s?k=Shirt+Carrier

A folder is a handy tool also, keeps things neat.

https://amzn.to/3cGhjlQ
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    edited June 2021
    I used to use a rucksack but it gives you bum and hand pain after a while so I swapped to a 13L saddle bag https://alpkit.com/products/koala.

You can get bigger but this is the sweet-spot of not really noticing it's there. I leave shoes and trousers at work and a bring a fresh shirt in each day. Change the trousers every 1-2 weeks.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    barker70 said:

T-shirt or jumper and tracksuit bottoms when I was a printer, t-shirt and shorts when I was working at the Velodrome- easy to carry/leave at work.
    Where I'm going to work is a new building that isn't finished so not sure if there will be anywhere to store clothes for the week as I've not visited the place yet.

Cycling shorts and top. But I'm in IT and people just think I'm a fashion victim.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    For the first week or so , whilst you're settling in don't cycle, get used to the work routine, find out whether storage showering facilities etc then last day of non cycling, bring in stuff that you can leave, like shoes wash kit , suit jacket tie, towels etc. Then day you start cycling it's only shirt and fresh underwear to carry, ideally on a rack rather than on your back, seriously I hesitated for years and went rucksack, wish I went pannier from start... You can get away with same trousers for the week and fresh shirt every other day or everyday if needed. As said non iron shirts hung up in shower room will help to get creases out.
    Saying that they've hired you on skill set and merit not a fashion parade so unless high flying exec shouldn't matter what you look like. I worked in a corporate office for a short time, apparently I was nearly sent home as although smart , my jacket wasn't the same colour as the trousers I had , obviously I didn't stay too long.
    I know work as a postie, a lot of my colleagues cycle in their uniforms