Di2 R8050 Draining Battery

OK this is a long shot, I've tried to buy an SM-PCE02 diagnostic tool, no one's got one.
This is the problem:-
Charge the battery to 100%, it works fine for about 10 days (7 hours of riding) always showing 100% on the edge 1000 (it's flat here so not much gear changing). Then it drops to 90% and within 4 days of non use its down to 35%. The whole system is less than 2 years old. Anyone any thoughts?

Comments

• paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    I had the same problem and it turned out to be a faulty battery. About 2 years old.
    No idea how to test for that without just trying a different battery, sorry
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    Thanks Paul, I've taken a punt and ordered a new battery yesterday, should be here Monday. If its not the battery its always handy to have a spare.
  • Sutton_Rider
    Well I've brought a PCE02 diagnostic tool, so I'll be able to sort out any problems that come up in the future.

If anyone in my area (SE Lincolnshire) would like any of their Di2 problems diagnosed send me a message.
  • Wow, can't believe you invested in the PCE02. I wish I was local to you, coz I have EXACTLY the same issue with one of my Di2 bikes (DA 9070), and I'd love to figure-out what's causing the issue. There's a Shimano Service Centre close to me, but they won't/ can't fit me in without xxx week wait ffs. I wish they'd just give me access to the diagnostic box LOL....
  • (sorry, meant to ask obs- what does the Black Box diagnose then? Have you got your answer?)
  • Sutton_Rider
    It looks at each component and also any component which causes an excess battery drain. I've run through everything twice (just to make sure) and no fault found. I suspect its the battery, because if that was not holding its charge the PCE02 wouldn't be able to see that as it doesn't do a load test. I've got another battery fully charged so I'm just waiting to see if the old battery is still going down after a week now that I have gone through a charge / discharge / charge cycle.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141

It looks at each component and also any component which causes an excess battery drain. I've run through everything twice (just to make sure) and no fault found. I suspect its the battery, because if that was not holding its charge the PCE02 wouldn't be able to see that as it doesn't do a load test. I've got another battery fully charged so I'm just waiting to see if the old battery is still going down after a week now that I have gone through a charge / discharge / charge cycle.

Now you've bought the tool and a new battery, your old battery will probably start working fine again.
  • Sutton_Rider
    I've been told by my LBS that they have had quite a few batteries fail of late. Most have an age of between 18 month and 2 years, which is the same as mine. So a spare battery could come in handy.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    My battery is pretty ancient and absolutely fine as far as I can tell
  • Sutton_Rider
    It's a bit of a lottery when it comes to batteries, you're one of the lucky ones.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    You could be right. I have to say, apart from an off, my di2 hasn't skipped a beat in the 5 or so years I've owned it and I bought it used
  • Fancy loaning your PCE02 out? B)

Would it identify a dodgy wire?
  • Sutton_Rider
    It wouldn't pick a bad wire as such, it only looks at the various units, but by swapping wires etc you could find if there was a bad one, but you don't need a PCE02 for that.
    I'll not loan it out, but if you wanted to come here (SE Lincolnshire) I'm more than happy to take a look see.
  • Yeah, figured it wasn't clever enough to detect wires. Cheers for the offer, but that's a 400 mile round-trip for me :/
  • Hi ,I've had a couple of battery failures in the last couple of years too they were replaced under warranty .Any battery I had hooked up has said " possible fault "
    Another thing I've not seen asked and I seen it in a bike last week .
    Is the limit screw touching the stop in the biggest cog at the rear ?
    This bike I eventually sussed would only drain when left in the biggest cog on the rear. It was asking to shift but not moving down ( light ticking noise constantly from the rear mech)
    It showed as draining to the owner at different intervals as it wasn't always left in the big rear cog .
    Only needed another half turn on the limit screw to stop it happening .
  • Yeah, I'd heard of the limiter screw being a common drain problem, but it's certainly not that in my case. Checked and dismissed....
  • Sutton_Rider
    Well I hope I'm not talking too soon, but it's been a month since the Di2 was fully charged. The PCE02 didn't find a fault and according to my edge 1000 I still have 90% charge remaining. That's after several rides and testing the Di2 every day.