Ollie Robinson , suspended

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

I find the notion racism is fine because everyone grows out of it an absurd argument. What's the age when it's finally considered a problem then?

Did you never say stupid stuff trying to be funny and impress friends? 18 year olds act like d1cks and say stupid things all the time. Maybe he's racist and sexist, maybe he was an immature teenager writing stupid things that he thought were funny.
    I'm no spring chicken and the kid who called the only black kid in the year a racial slur when we were 12 got expelled 2 hours later.
    Expelled or excluded?
    They didn't come back. Remember it well as it was one and done - shocked every one. No-one thought it was unreasonable tbf. At least, I don't remember anyone thinking that.

Maybe she had prior, I don't know.
    Have you told her current employer?
    Eh?
    it is a fair point, have you tracked her down and told her current employer?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    There's potential future employers and then there are BTS fans...

I know who I'd rather be on the wrong side of!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,227

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

I find the notion racism is fine because everyone grows out of it an absurd argument. What's the age when it's finally considered a problem then?

Did you never say stupid stuff trying to be funny and impress friends? 18 year olds act like d1cks and say stupid things all the time. Maybe he's racist and sexist, maybe he was an immature teenager writing stupid things that he thought were funny.
    I'm no spring chicken and the kid who called the only black kid in the year a racial slur when we were 12 got expelled 2 hours later.
    Expelled or excluded?
    They didn't come back. Remember it well as it was one and done - shocked every one. No-one thought it was unreasonable tbf. At least, I don't remember anyone thinking that.

Maybe she had prior, I don't know.
    Have you told her current employer?
    Eh?
    it is a fair point, have you tracked her down and told her current employer?
    No. But then, I didn't for Mr Robinson either.
  • surrey_commuter
    So how long a ban do we think Anderson should get for his sexist and homophobic "lesbian haircut" tweet?

There is a chance he needed a rest so he could be suspended from Edgbaston along with Buttler and Morgan.

Surprised Stokes has not been mentioned but I am guessing that he is sweating like a geordie in a spelling test.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718

So how long a ban do we think Anderson should get for his sexist and homophobic "lesbian haircut" tweet?

There is a chance he needed a rest so he could be suspended from Edgbaston along with Buttler and Morgan.

Surprised Stokes has not been mentioned but I am guessing that he is sweating like a geordie in a spelling test.

Screen shot taken to pull out in 10 years.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • surrey_commuter

Screen shot taken to pull out in 10 years.
    That is a bit concerning as I am still unsure whether I should have capitalised "Geordie" , would you mind waiting until we get confirmation and then I will amend and you can re screenshot
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

I'm not sure it's a relatively minor consequence. Maybe if he was an England regular, and missed a game, but given he's a fair chunk of the way through his playing career, and has only just got called up, it seems like it's pretty serious.

There does seem to be a crossover between people deciding 18 yo boys will be boys, but 15 yo girls who get groomed by terrorist organisations derive to rot though.

I guess it depends how seriously you (and he) take professional cricket.

Worth noting that before he posted these tweets he had been sacked by Yorkshire for unprofessional behaviour. One might have thought that was a bit of a warning.
    Just to be clear from my point of view, I'm not defending Robinson and I have to admit I hadn't heard of him until he was called up (I pay very little attention to the County game these days). He may well be a complete censored for all I know but raking things up from 10 years ago suggests he may have matured and stopped at least making his thoughts public if he still actually even thinks such things.

Youngsters do and say stupid things all the time without any thought of the future consequences and as I said in my first post I'm a bit torn on this issue as with it being so high profile I hope it may act as a warning to think before you post. However, most of us ignored advice and warnings from oldies and were never going to turn into boring old farts like them so I don't see why that will change with future generations.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591
    Pross said:

However, most of us ignored advice and warnings from oldies and were never going to turn into boring old farts like them so I don't see why that will change with future generations.

I didn't ignore the advice. I'd like to claim it was because I was different but the real reason is that the advice was different.
    Here is what I was told and I'd advise all youngsters to pay heed. I am very glad that I did.

You have a long life ahead of you but time will fly by much faster than you can appreciate right now. Make the most of every opportunity that presents itself, you may not get another chance. Do things while you are young, you might not be willing or able when older. Create good memories to remember when you are old.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

However, most of us ignored advice and warnings from oldies and were never going to turn into boring old farts like them so I don't see why that will change with future generations.

I didn't ignore the advice. I'd like to claim it was because I was different but the real reason is that the advice was different.
    Here is what I was told and I'd advise all youngsters to pay heed. I am very glad that I did.

You have a long life ahead of you but time will fly by much faster than you can appreciate right now. Make the most of every opportunity that presents itself, you may not get another chance. Do things while you are young, you might not be willing or able when older. Create good memories to remember when you are old.
    By making slitty eye jokes on twitter? How I have missed out on life's great pleasures.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

By making slitty eye jokes on twitter? How I have missed out on life's great pleasures.
    Explain the basis of that one.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Fuckinghell there's some perfect people in here. Believe it or not some of your children will probably have said, written and done far worse than this cricketer did and you don't even realise it yet. Good luck guiding your kids into the world of work without them embarrassing you and your families and falling foul of the offence archaeologists that lie in wait for them when they try and enter the professions. Sure, people should be accountable for what they do and say, but as someone who spent most of his teenage years being an absolute d1ck despite having the best parents and upbringing anyone could wish for, all I can say is good luck, because you're going to need it in spades and more importantly so are your kids.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    shortfall said:

Fuckinghell there's some perfect people in here. Believe it or not some of your children will probably have said, written and done far worse than this cricketer did and you don't even realise it yet. Good luck guiding your kids into the world of work without them embarrassing you and your families and falling foul of the offence archaeologists that lie in wait for them when they try and enter the professions. Sure, people should be accountable for what they do and say, but as someone who spent most of his teenage years being an absolute d1ck despite having the best parents and upbringing anyone could wish for, all I can say is good luck, because you're going to need it in spades and more importantly so are your kids.

You don't think Robinson should've been suspended then? It's not clear from your post. :wink:
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited June 2021
    Ben6899 said:

shortfall said:

You don't think Robinson should've been suspended then? It's not clear from your post. :wink:
    Let me put it this way. I saw Rio Ferdinand talking a lot of sense on BBC breakfast this morning. I didn't catch it all but I think he runs some sort of football acadamy or something and he was saying how he sits down with these young lads right at the beginning and goes through their social media history with them and when there is inappropriate stuff he explains in detail why it's wrong and (presumably) gets them to delete it. It's a learning process for them as much as a disciplinary thing. Maybe this should happen in cricket and elsewhere but it didn't in this case and I think the lads apology should have been enough without the suspension.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    edited June 2021
    shortfall said:

Ben6899 said:

shortfall said:

Let me put it this way. I saw Rio Ferdinand talking a lot of sense on BBC breakfast this morning. I didn't catch it all but I think he runs some sort of football acadamy or something and he was saying how he sits down with these young lads right at the beginning and goes through their social media history with them and when there is inappropriate stuff he explains in detail why it's wrong and (presumably) gets them to delete it. It's a learning process for them as much as a disciplinary thing. Maybe this should happen in cricket and elsewhere but it didn't in this case and I think the lads apology should have been enough without the suspension.
    Sounds like a very sensible approach. I certainly think there's room for that in any professional sport or role which is in the public eye. Possibly the management of the ECB needs to look at the support it provides. I would also note that the pitfalls of social media are being taught in junior school, so I would hope future generations are a bit more prepared.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

That sounds like very good advice, the lad is pretty much living life along those lines. He's working hard and playing hard. Daughter may benefit from words along those lines before she heads off to uni in autumn. I'm glad she's more cautious than her brother though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    shortfall said:

Ben6899 said:

shortfall said:

Ramprakash was suggesting the ECB should take a similar approach with new caps and I think I said similar in my first post. It seems a far better way of dealing with things than being caught on the hop and then being forced into some form of retrospective disciplinary action.
  • Pross
    I think people are forgetting just how modern a thing social media is and how people have learned its impact over the years. Twitter has only been around for 15 years and took a while to catch on, probably about 2009 before it really became mainstream so not long before the Robinson Tweets.

Part of me is tempted to stalk the Rick Chasey social media accounts but he's already admits he deletes things which suggests he's concerned his thoughts won't stand the test of time.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,371
    Suspension on full pay is standard practice when an employer is investigating the "misdemeanors" or "offences" of an employee. At this point (unless I've missed something which is quite possible) I don't see his suspension as a punishment just as employment protocol in such matters so the arguments about whether he should or should not have been suspended are missing the point a bit at the moment.

Once the investigation is over, they will surely announce any disciplinary measures - his suspension right now is not a disciplinary measure.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021
    Pross said:

I think people are forgetting just how modern a thing social media is and how people have learned its impact over the years. Twitter has only been around for 15 years and took a while to catch on, probably about 2009 before it really became mainstream so not long before the Robinson Tweets.

Part of me is tempted to stalk the Rick Chasey social media accounts but he's already admits he deletes things which suggests he's concerned his thoughts won't stand the test of time.

It's a fair bit harder to delete on here, so fill your boots.

• Pross

Pross said:

I'd have no problem uncovering evidence of ageism but then you don't seem to think categorising anyone over 50 as a 'boomer' who all share the same traits and beliefs which are worthy of your scorn as being wrong in any way.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021
    Pross said:

Pross said:

I'd have no problem uncovering evidence of ageism but then you don't seem to think categorising anyone over 50 as a 'boomer' who all share the same traits and beliefs which are worthy of your scorn as being wrong in any way.
    Absolutely guilty of ageism. No doubt - though it is more I have seen the political divide move from class and money to age and since that penny has dropped I can't see past it.

I'll help you out.
    I think i called Matt Falle a pikey before taking it back I believe (if not, I apologise now), I suggested coopster take Trump's advice and inject bleach and there was one other where I think I had to apologise.

Edit: oh yes, there was the windowlicker bit which again I apologised for after you lot explained my mistake.
  • surrey_commuter
    Pross said:

Pross said:

It is possible that he has been hating on the over 50s for so long and is so blinded by that hate that it has escaped him that boomers are now 56+
  • surrey_commuter

Pross said:

Pross said:

Absolutely guilty of ageism. No doubt - though it is more I have seen the political divide move from class and money to age and since that penny has dropped I can't see past it.

I'll help you out.
    I think i called Matt Falle a pikey before taking it back I believe (if not, I apologise now), I suggested coopster take Trump's advice and inject bleach and there was one other where I think I had to apologise.

Edit: oh yes, there was the windowlicker bit which again I apologised for after you lot explained my mistake.
    You definitely won’t be playing at Edgbaston
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited June 2021

Pross said:

Pross said:

I'll help you out.

apology accepted!
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rick_chasey

Pross said:

Pross said:

I'll help you out.

It may shock you....Rick is not actually my name.
  • pblakeney
    edited June 2021

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

So, simply drop a slur without basis and walk away then?
    No explanation as to your point? Your comment has no relevance to my post.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    It was one of the things Robinson did while creating memories and enjoying the freedom of youth.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

That was the joke this Robinson bloke made.
  • surrey_commuter

Pross said:

Pross said:

I'll help you out.

It may shock you....Rick is not actually my name.
    a huge coincidence if somebody call Geoff Chasey gets an unexpected call up from Cambridgeshire second 11 and i will be sending a pigeon to the ECB (not that one) to rat you out.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

That was the joke this Robinson bloke made.
    Telling jokes is hardly life affirming actions (unless you happen to get paid for it) so not relevant to my post at all. If that's the extent of people's imagination of how to live life to the full then they have bigger issues.
    Veronese68 wrote: