Prescription riding glasses?

I suspect this may have arisen before, but I just haven't seen it ... But where does one get riding glasses with corrective lenses? I just need a simple +1, like reading glasses.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    Oakley do prescription glasses for some of their frames. Your local optician can probably order you some.

• pblakeney
    I used them first time around.
    Good lenses but the frames are nothing to write home about.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Places like glasses direct.

Pick some Oakley frames from them (or whoever) and then load in your prescription.

I have cheapish Oakley crosslink frames with prescription lenses for about £90. These are clear, but can get tinted ones also.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    I too have Oakley ones.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    My local optician did mine.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Not sure you actually need "riding" glasses, unless you just can't bear not being pro looking. I've used regular sunglass' from my local optician for decades. I think you've got to ask yourself why you need something called "riding" glasses. Any good pair of sunglasses should do.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Rx sport, run an excellent service normally a two week turnaround
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    dennisn said:

Not sure you actually need "riding" glasses, unless you just can't bear not being pro looking. I've used regular sunglass' from my local optician for decades. I think you've got to ask yourself why you need something called "riding" glasses. Any good pair of sunglasses should do.

The wrap around helps stop stuff getting in the eyes.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I'm surprised you'd need prescription glasses at all if you are just slightly long sighted.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    dennisn said:

I don't think that's true at all. Cycling glasses are designed for cycling, normal sunglasses aren't.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Mine certainly aren't specific cycling glasses, just light plastic ones that I deem to be acceptably looking without breaking the bank.

Tbh, I find most cycling specific sunnies to be a bit over the top and try hard...

Just me though.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    edited June 2021
    Basic sunglasses will do a job, but cycling specific lenses increase the contrast in a way that makes seeing lumps and bumps easier, and improving things in dappled shade etc.
    Same with watersport specific lenses, or golf specific ones, or the different lenses for differnet light conditions when skiing.
    It's all to do with what the lens filters out or not.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    The cheapest solution is to just buy some hydrotac stick in reader lenses. I have used them for a few years now, just stuck in the bottom of my regular sunglasses. They work perfectly for reading my Garmin and the cafe menu.... ;)
  • smethley
    smethley Posts: 45
    Many thanks everyone. At the moment I use weak reading glasses with darker lenses, since my prescription is so simple. These are a fiver each. 'Real' i.e. bespoke prescription lenses are something I guess I'll pay for when I have to.
  • pblakeney
    edited June 2021
    I've got "proper" prescription reading glasses. I also have cheap ones for multiple locations. Can't tell the difference. Save your money.

Edit :- In fact the optician advised as much. Dare say that advice wouldn't go down well with her employer's though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Recently used these guys and would recommend.
    https://www.extreme-eyewear.co.uk/
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I recently bought some off aliexpress (with prescription insert).
    Very good for the money (2 frame and 7 lenses) for less than £50
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    edited June 2021
    elbowloh said:

Places like glasses direct.

Pick some Oakley frames from them (or whoever) and then load in your prescription.

I have cheapish Oakley crosslink frames with prescription lenses for about £90. These are clear, but can get tinted ones also.

Wow, seriously tempted (EDIT: just seen the Oakleys are on top!), my long vision is fine but reading screens etc is horrendous.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    edited June 2021
    Does anyone here use varifocal* - is it worth bothering for riding glasses.

*I know, I know...

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    secretsam said:

*I know, I know...

I do for my normal glasses but really struggle with them. Don’t really need them for close but getting glasses just for distance is too strong for me to wear and talk to people. I stick with varifocal contact lenses for riding but when I can’t be bothered I just do without.
  • pblakeney
    secretsam said:

*I know, I know...

Yup! I need prescription lenses to see distance, and I like to see the scenic areas that I am cycling though. 😉 I have a non-prescription varifocal at the bottom so I can read the Garmin.
    They are annoying off the bike so I can't see me using them full time but are fine on the bike where I am either looking through the top into the distance or down to my Garmin.
    That said, I might need to start wearing them for driving as I can't read the dash when wearing my driving glasses. "Sorry officer but I couldn't read my speed." won't wash. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    I use varifocals for everyday use but manage with just distance for sunglasses, cycling glasses included.
    I just got some prescription Jawbreakers via Shade Station. Genuine Oakley inserts, expensive but I'll wear them a lot.
    I've bought less cycling specific Oakleys before such as Frogskins and Fuel Cells and had aftermarket lenses from Cilary Blue fitted for about £30.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • secretsam
    Thanks all - I might chat with an optician about whether it's worth bothering with Rx varifocals; my main problem is reading my phone, etc out on a ride - I can 'see' fine

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I wear varifocals for everyday but would be an extravigance too far to get some more for cycling.
    Am gonna give Pilot Peter's idea a whirl and stick em on Bolle safety specs
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    They sell reading glasses in most supermarkets and pharmacies
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    edited June 2021
    Already carry those in case I get a puncture, have to look at my phone etc. Wouldn't ride wearing readers though, recipe for disaster.
  • I like the DeWalts bifocal glasses the best. It has the best balance between far sight and reading magnification. Plus it comes with a protective sleeve that doesn't fully cover all the lens but it's something. So I got these and they are perfect! Good price, very comfortable and I can see up close when I need to do my job safety.