Ollie Robinson , suspended

This is an absolute disgrace.
regards
ILG

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited June 2021
    I haven't read the offending tweets or whatever they are but I tend to agree. If we hound people forever for their youthful indiscretions where does that leave us? We've all got a past. We've all done things we're ashamed of or most of us have. Thank God camera phones and social media weren't around when I was young. The lad has apologised and should be allowed to move on.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,714
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Someone better tell Boris there is no rush getting sporting events up and running because as Danny (whoever he is) says, if players have to pass a teenage twitter test, there will be too few people left to participate.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,076

Someone better tell Boris there is no rush getting sporting events up and running because as Danny (whoever he is) says, if players have to pass a teenage twitter test, there will be too few people left to participate.

Someone tell Boris to thank God there were no camera phones when he was that age.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,146
    Slightly torn on this one. Part of me thinks it's good for people to realise that what they say on social media can affect their future. However, dragging out what, from the post above, seem like immature comments and poor attempts at humour by a teenager trying to impress friends 10 years later seems over the top. He has obviously had a falling out with someone over the years who has been waiting for him to make the big time before sending the stuff to the press.

As Shortfall said we probably would have all posted something stupid if the likes of Twitter had been around when we were teenagers. I think we all change significantly in that time period.

My thinking is that when a sportsperson gets and England cap or people get their first high profile break they should be offered a chance to mention anything like this from their past then talk it over to make sure they have learned the error of their ways and no longer have the same views. Either that or the PR people should be backgrounding themselves and finding the skeletons first.
  • ballysmate
    edited June 2021

Someone tell Boris to thank God there were no camera phones when he was that age.

Well quite. I think we can *thank a higher being for that.

*all
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    His continuous use of "your" when he meant "you're" is particularly appalling.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    elbowloh said:

His continuous use of "your" when he meant "you're" is particularly appalling.

I suspect that would have the MCC mob frothing at the mouth more than the use of the 'n' word. Oh for the days when all English cricketers benefitted from an education at a top public school and Oxbridge!
  • DeVlaeminck
    I just think if he posted something prior to being employed by his club/country then unless it was illegal then the only punishment should be the embarrassment of his immature self being revealed.

If it was actually illegal hate speech then by all means prosecute him.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    It is beyond bizarre that a cricketer is being held to a higher standard for tweets seen by a handful of people that the PM for writing words read by millions.

The ECB could well come to regret using OR as a benchmark rather than BJ.

Am I the only one who thinks the continuous references to "education" to be Orwellian?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,076

I just think if he posted something prior to being employed by his club/country then unless it was illegal then the only punishment should be the embarrassment of his immature self being revealed.

What if it was after being employed by his club?
  • DeVlaeminck

What if it was after being employed by his club?
    Well then I'd say it's up to his club.
  • ballysmate

It is beyond bizarre that a cricketer is being held to a higher standard for tweets seen by a handful of people that the PM for writing words read by millions.

Am I the only one who thinks the continuous references to "education" to be Orwellian?

By no means are you alone. In today's world you must get with the programme.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,032
    edited June 2021
    So he's just old enough that you can argue he didn't necessarily know how social media would be used in the future.

Certainly the zoomers are well aware of exactly what happens when you apply for any job (your social media accounts get searched - there are even firms you can pay to do it for you) and a straw poll of my younger colleagues is very much "yeah he shouldn't have been so naïve, either to have made those tweets or to not have deleted them".

If you lot are posting under a recognisable name that someone looking at your CV would spot I would recommend going through your own posts on here and scrubbing them if you're looking for a job.

as for twitter, which will almost certainly be used, here: https://semiphemeral.com/

I have a function on my on twitter feed which automatically deletes tweets after 18 months, so I don't have any tweets older than that.
  • rick_chasey

Honestly, not saying this is particularly right behaviour by the way, but plenty of companies hiring people are much more draconian than this when it comes to social media posts of future or current employees and it is a good lesson in how social meedja affects your real life.
  • Pross

So he's just old enough that you can argue he didn't necessarily know how social media would be used in the future.

Certainly the zoomers are well aware of exactly what happens when you apply for any job (your social media accounts get searched - there are even firms you can pay to do it for you) and a straw poll of my younger colleagues is very much "yeah he shouldn't have been so naïve, either to have made those tweets or to not have deleted them".

If you lot are posting under a recognisable name that someone looking at your CV would spot I would recommend going through your own posts on here and scrubbing them if you're looking for a job.

as for twitter, which will almost certainly be used, here: https://semiphemeral.com/

I have a function on my on twitter feed which automatically deletes tweets after 18 months, so I don't have any tweets older than that.

To be fair I think you probably work at the end of the market where this sort of thing is done but I would suggest it is far from a widespread practice outside of higher profile businesses. I may quickly search for Facebook profiles etc. when a CV comes across my desk as it can give you a feel of the real person but I certainly haven't tried viewing old Tweets.

That said I do think young people really need to understand that they are making public comments and that even with security settings in place there are probably people that will be able to find out your history if they really want to. My take is don't say anything online you wouldn't be comfortable saying at a press conference on national TV although no doubt I, and most otheres, will have typed things that someone could deem offensive if they really wanted.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021
    Pross said:

To be fair I think you probably work at the end of the market where this sort of thing is done but I would suggest it is far from a widespread practice outside of higher profile businesses. I may quickly search for Facebook profiles etc. when a CV comes across my desk as it can give you a feel of the real person but I certainly haven't tried viewing old Tweets.

That said I do think young people really need to understand that they are making public comments and that even with security settings in place there are probably people that will be able to find out your history if they really want to. My take is don't say anything online you wouldn't be comfortable saying at a press conference on national TV although no doubt I, and most otheres, will have typed things that someone could deem offensive if they really wanted.
    I know for a fact any big grad scheme like say Barclays or whatever do it as a matter of course.

I guess my point is this kind of stuff is happening all the time and has been happening for some time.

It's when it affects a sports team (and more importantly, people's enjoyment of said sports team) suddenly everyone is up in arms.
  • Pross

Pross said:

I know for a fact any big grad scheme like say Barclays or whatever do it as a matter of course.

I guess my point is this kind of stuff is happening all the time and has been happening for some time.

It's when it affects a sports team (and more importantly, people's enjoyment of said sports team) suddenly everyone is up in arms.
    I think it is more a case that when it happens in those situations people hear about it.

Jack the Grad not getting his dream job in banking because he made an ill-advised Tweet 10 years ago whilst at school is unlikely to register with anyone other than Jack and his family but I think that even in that situation a good recruiter should be looking at it a bit more closely and digging into the person's views a bit more rather than ruling them out of contention.

However, Barclays are the sort of high-end blue chip company I was saying would be checking this sort of thing and they have so many applicants for their schemes it makes a certain amount of sense to have such high level screening. As I said, your experience is reflective of the sorts of businesses you are working with.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021
    Sure. I struggle to have sympathy with Ollie not because I think the decision is necessarily a good one, more that this kind of thing has been a feature of the job market for a good half decade now.

Glassdoor even have a whole page dedicated to what you should do: https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/blog/social-media-sabotage-job-search/

This is the modern world for people who have grown up with smartphone cameras and social media. He's been a bit of a mug to not think about sorting it out up until now.

Here's another from 2013 in Forbes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2013/04/16/how-social-media-can-help-or-hurt-your-job-search/?sh=f0183557ae24

It's US but this quote

First they found that 37% of employers use social networks to screen potential job candidates. That means about two in five companies browse your social media profiles to evaluate your character and personality--and some even base their hiring decision on what they find.

“Social media is a primary vehicle of communication today, and because much of that communication is public, it’s no surprise some recruiters and hiring managers are tuning in,” says Rosemary Haefner, vice president of human resources at CareerBuilder.

That was 8 years ago.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,419
    edited June 2021

Honestly, not saying this is particularly right behaviour by the way, but plenty of companies hiring people are much more draconian than this when it comes to social media posts of future or current employees and it is a good lesson in how social meedja affects your real life.
    It's a hard way to learn that posting private conversations on the equivalent of the village noticeboard is a bad idea, but it's a lesson to learn all the same. Awareness of social media and taking care with what information you share is taught in junior school so I'm not sure anyone can claim ignorance these days.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021
    Sure it is; though he's not been given good advice if he thinks going into a role like his means no-one's gonna rake through old posts.

This is really common advice at every grad fair in the country.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,419
    Pross said:

A variant of this I was taught is 'imagine a sarcastic barrister reading your notes/comments out in court'.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

I think this is the wrong way round. It's crazy the PM isn't held to even an average standard let alone a higher one!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,699
    elbowloh said:

I think this is the wrong way round. It's crazy the PM isn't held to even an average standard let alone a higher one!
    Oh I think this might have occurred to him as he’s now come out and said the ECB have over reacted.
    A bit of self awareness finally?

I am a little surprised by the BBC’s quite moderate reporting on this as I thought it just the sort of story with which they like to fan the flames.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Sympathy, mostly because people can change and he probably has (most people by their late 20s are not who they were in their late teens. Exceptions exist).

Having them brought up and being asked about them is fair game. Be more troubling if his current teams / friends / social media portrayed a questionable character.

Given the ECB and crowd haven't always moved with the times I'd love to know what he was taught in his earlier years. I know that kids in the PL academies such as LFC, EFC, MCFC are all educated on social media from a very young age, as are their parents. in some cases they are warned against being on it (yes they are supposed to be over a certain age but since when has this stopped a kid).

As Rick has said for graduates these days being aware of your social media image these days is important, and though I don't believe I have every done anything so silly or stupid some of the accounts are curated (more because I ride a bike in lyrca and nobody cares what I have to say). Also applies to the dating world.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • DeVlaeminck
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

A variant of this I was taught is 'imagine a sarcastic barrister reading your notes/comments out in court'.
    A friend of mine took his employer to court for assault - my friend is a carer and was working for a private client who attacked him.

The guy offered an out of court settlement - mate was going to turn it down but his solicitor said looking at your Facebook the other side will use this against you in court.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021

I am a little surprised by the BBC’s quite moderate reporting on this as I thought it just the sort of story with which they like to fan the flames.

Plenty of people have gone through similar - just not as publicly.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    racist sexist bloke is racist and sexist and gets busted gets bollocking and suspended from work. no shock there.

don't worry ilg, he'll soon be back and all this will be forgotten. you can then find something else to be irate about.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    MattFalle said:

racist sexist bloke is racist and sexist and gets busted gets bollocking and suspended from work. no shock there.

don't worry ilg, he'll soon be back and all this will be forgotten. you can then find something else to be irate about.

You think?
    This is just the start.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    of?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.