Saddle options

Given that saddles are a personal choice, I'm still having problems with mine and would appreciate a bit of guidance.

Best fit I've found that doesn't completely cripple me is the Giant contact saddle - 130mm wide, slight curve to it, standard sort of length. Problem I have is on the turbo where, within 20 minutes, I'm getting a fair amount of numbness. Obviously standing eases it but...

So, I'm wondering if something flat would help and/or a little wider. Any recommendations of a flatish saddle that's wider than 130mm? I don't mind doing an eBay trawl to get some cheaper used ones to try out but have no idea where to start!

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    No idea on width but I'll measure one in a mo' but Selle Italia SLRs are flat and, if they fit, blimmin' comfy.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Ta!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I was gifted a Sella Italia by a gent on this very forum.
    My bum thanks him for it. :D
  • johngti
    Found a few on eBay. 131mm and 14-something are the fits. Might try a wider one, just to see.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,590
    Might just be an overweight me, but here is an opinion on cutout saddles.
    Going over rough roads can lead to pinching.
    I have the same saddle fitted to both my road bikes and while I'd happily buy the same saddle again, it would be the version without cutouts. YMMV.

PS - My first experience of this was on my Dad's bike fitted with a 50s cutout version Brooks when I was a teenager. I had hoped things had improved.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    +1 for the Selle Italia. I've got one with a cutout but not sure it makes any difference. Fairly narrow though.

Other flat saddle options are Specialized Toupe - but shell is prone to cracking. Still my fave flat saddle for comfort.

Or Fizik Antares VS (they have cutout options as well but the versus has a channel between the padding that works just as well). This is the widest of the three. Came on my R3 which is a harsh bike, and I've been pleasantly surprised by it.

Hope that helps.
  • MattFalle
    johngti said:

Ta!

HTH
  • MattFalle
    johngti said:
    yup.

do it. do it. do it. do it. do it now. buy it. buy it. buy it. buy it. buy it now.
  • johngti
    Thanks so far, everyone.
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

johngti said:
    yup.

do it. do it. do it. do it. do it now. buy it. buy it. buy it. buy it. buy it now.
    Fine! I’ll do it!!
  • MattFalle
    johngti said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:
    yup.

Fine! I’ll do it!!
    have you done it yet? have you? have you?
  • johngti
    Yes. Yes I have. But it won’t arrive until Wednesday.
  • MattFalle
    Fine. At least you have bought it though. Top work that man.

Remember we need picks of bike when its fitted.
  • johngti
    Tell you what, I’ll fit it, try it, and if it’s staying I’ll take pics. Although you’ve seen the bike already, of course
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Prologo do saddles in different widths and some manufacturers have fitting guides on their websites - some with suggested methods for working out what size you need.
  • johngti
    singleton said:

Prologo do saddles in different widths and some manufacturers have fitting guides on their websites - some with suggested methods for working out what size you need.

I wondered about prologo as an option. I’ll have a look - thanks!
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Selle Italia for me as well, currently on a Flite Superflow Boost which I'm loving as the new models have the larger cutout which I like.

Tried Fizik, Pro Stealth & also had a Specialized Power for a bit but always seem to come back to Selle Italia & particularly the Flite. Tried a SLR & didn't like it as much.
  • johngti
    Got a long session on sufferfest starting in a few minutes (once I get changed). Hopefully my undercarriage will survive based on the promise of being cosseted next week!
  • I've settled on Prologo Dimensions. Useless information for you there. Gratis.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    johngti said:

singleton said:

I wondered about prologo as an option. I’ll have a look - thanks!
    I use Prologo Nago - it's a semi-rounded saddle available in 2 widths - the 141 width is better for me but they also do a 134 width. Also available with a cut-out (what they call PAS).
  • johngti
    Ta both. Both of those look worth a shot - I’ll see how the selle Italian works in a day or two but good to have other options to try.
  • johngti
    Here you go @Matthewfalle

Tomorrow I’ll try it out properly. First impressions are defo wider, potentially less pressure, but the old undercarriage had a bit of a beasting on Saturday so there’s still a little residual discomfort. See what it’s like with bike shorts on.

• MattFalle
    johngti said:

Here you go @Matthewfalle

Tomorrow I’ll try it out properly. First impressions are defo wider, potentially less pressure, but the old undercarriage had a bit of a beasting on Saturday so there’s still a little residual discomfort. See what it’s like with bike shorts on.

looks sweet. nice.

you gonna get rid of all thatshit from under the stem? don't want to be mistaken for an audaxer
  • johngti
    Ain’tnoshit under that stem. There’s a wahoo bracket thing on the ‘bars but otherwise the only thing below the stem is the tyre and sweet deep section rim. What do you think you’re seeing?
  • johngti
    Oh I see! Spacers! Give me a chance. I’ve managed to remove 1.5 cm worth over the last few months, getting more flexible but it takes time…
  • MattFalle
    yes - the spacers

just take them off while its on the turbo.

job jobbed.
  • MattFalle
    adds 2mph top end.
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

yes - the spacers

just take them off while its on the turbo.

job jobbed.

See how we go. My neck is as inflexible as a very inflexible thing. May never slam it, but potential for it to be a bit lower. The Domane does have quite a large stack. Fnar
  • MattFalle
    the key to flexibility is red wine.

the more you drink, the more flexible you become.

trust me, i'm like a medical man.