3 piece crank shaft removal

Hello there.

I'm in the process of completely overhauling my bike as its not been serviced since 2016!

I will be asking a lot of questions.

Starting off how do I take off this bolt? It's very tightly inbetween the that hole

Iv checked out a lot of YouTube videos and unable to figure out how I will put a wrench or anything inside?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    A good quality socket will have thin walls and will fit that. Then you need a crank puller.
  • zoomaj
    zoomaj Posts: 41
    OK brilliant thank you
  • zoomaj
    Hello I managed to get a thin wall socket. Which way do I spin the socket? Clockwise or anti clockwise please?

Thanks
  • wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 294
    Anti clockwise
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Then you need a puller.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    lefty loosey righty tighty
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • zoomaj
    OK brilliant! Yes iv got the crank arm puller too! Hope I don't get stuck on that either! Thanks guys
  • darkhairedlord
    Then you will need another tool to remove the bottom bracket.
  • zoomaj
    Managed to get the screw off and now the crank remover Tool is fully stuck, never knew it was this complex to take off the crank arm! I understand the concept as it spin it pushes it deeper into the crank arm causing it to release from the bottom bracket

• zoomaj
    I take it the crank remover Tool is universal? Or I'm using the right one?

• zoomaj
    I managed to figure out the bit at the end comes out! Will try again!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    You need to screw the inner back before you screw the outer in to the crank. Once the outer is in as far as it will go then screw the inner in and it should push the crank off. However if it’s been on for ever it will need some lubrication and some big guns.
  • zoomaj
    One side off I physically had to sit on the seat and pretend to pedal and exert all the force on the removal tool. I had my bottom bracket replaced last year. But it has started creaking!
  • veronese68
    That's often the way. As Webboo said, back the inner piece right out, screw the outer in as far as it will go and then tighten the inner again to push against the bottom bracket axle and pull the crank off. It locks against the taper which is why it's so tight. Some car ones are on so tight even using a big press you have to beat the puller with a hammer to shock it. Then it lets go with an almighty bang.
    Well done, you're getting there.
  • zoomaj
    Cranks off! Now to unscrew the bottom bracket. I hope it's left again to release?
  • darkhairedlord
    Non drive side first. One side is left hand thread.
  • zoomaj
    Im fighting a losing battle on the bottom bracket side! The tool won't stay in when I spin it and it is very tight!
  • veronese68
    Do you have a spanner that will fit the hex on the outside of the bottom bracket tool? The problem is exacerbated because using the square drive in the end makes the whole thing tilt sideways and then come out. Using a spanner in the hex you are a bit closer in which helps. Get someone to hold the bike and use one hand to hold the tool pressed into place firmly. Push on the spanner with the other hand. And remember one of them is reverse thread, I can never remember which until I start doing the job.
  • zoomaj
    OK cool will try that tommorow now 👍
  • MattFalle
    if you have a long enough bolt, using that and a washer to bolt the b/b tool to the b/b means it won't slip off

• darkhairedlord
    Spanner and put an extension in the square drive to stabilise
  • wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 294
    The non-drive side has a normal right-hand thread direction, so removes counterclockwise. The drive-side thread is a left-hand thread, which loosens clockwise.
  • zoomaj
    Awsome guys! Removed! Take it my bottom bracket has seen better days!

• MattFalle
    Trebuchet that to another country, lube up and slip in a new one.

good job that man!
  • darkhairedlord
    Is the drain hole blocked up? You mightvfindvyou have drains at the end ofcthe chainstays. My trek was like that, had to hold it vertical on the backwheel to drain water out from the bb area.
  • zoomaj
    Thanks for all your help everyone 👍👍
  • darkhairedlord
    Shimano un300 122.5mm £12.99 in decathlon
  • MattFalle

Shimano un300 122.5mm £12.99 in decathlon

buy it buy it buy it buy it now buy it buy it buy it now.

have you bought it yet?
  • zoomaj
    Yes bought and installed on the same day!
  • zoomaj
    Greased with Red Grease and rust free!