BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

The article talks initially about higher food costs coming to the UK but then tries to justify this happening by talking about exports from the UK and M&S increasing the amount of food it buys from the EU to address the increased costs of Brexit red tape......

they are trying to refer to supplying the stores in the EU
  • surrey_commuter
    ONS saying Q1 exports to the EU down 18% on Q4 and imports down 21%.

I know there is an argument that it is high becuase of stockpiling etc but you would also expect it to take time for businesses/consumers to find more efficient ways of doing stuff. In which case a new normal of 80% of what it was previously seems about right.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

ONS saying Q1 exports to the EU down 18% on Q4 and imports down 21%.

I know there is an argument that it is high becuase of stockpiling etc but you would also expect it to take time for businesses/consumers to find more efficient ways of doing stuff. In which case a new normal of 80% of what it was previously seems about right.

That's a nett gain of 3% for British producers so a win for Brexit

;)
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

It reads more as if it's been composed by some algorithm that has scooped up sentences with anything to do the Brexit over the past 12 months.

Agree completely.
    It is incoherent rambling about broadly related issues.

Any single issue could be made into a point that I could happily agree or disagree with but this is just fact spam.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    It's those pesky furriners again...

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    By the way, the HMRC and the IoE have just worked out that the TCA does NOT apply to EU Origin goods moving from GB to NI.

So a Spanish orange or ball of Italian mozzarella that moves through a distribution centre in GB will face tariffs moving to NI. Yay!

Unsurprisingly, NI businesses are looking to suppliers within the single market to avoid all this...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    ddraver said:

By the way, the HMRC and the IoE have just worked out that the TCA does NOT apply to EU Origin goods moving from GB to NI.

So a Spanish orange or ball of Italian mozzarella that moves through a distribution centre in GB will face tariffs moving to NI. Yay!

Unsurprisingly, NI businesses are looking to suppliers within the single market to avoid all this...

This is part of the M&S issue up thread.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • surrey_commuter
    ddraver said:

how can that be?
  • ddraver
    edited June 2021
    We haven't been given specific reasons but I suspect getting a lying moron to negotiate a deal means that it's not very good...

(not to mention the really quite high number of declarations that have been made, erroneously and still resulted in zero duty when there should have been - although I guess that's fair enough given that it's HMRCs screw up -

I've heard on the twitter grapevines I now follow that there is an Avalanche of non-compliance cases coming and no one really knows how to deal with it)
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    ddraver said:

Will that tariff be reclaimable if the product does not leave NI and move into the EU?
  • ddraver
    edited June 2021
    If eligible, they can join the UK Trader Scheme and self-certify the goods 'Not at Risk'

Or they can claim a waiver under De Minimis Aid.

Other than that, duty to be paid.
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Whoever negotiated that needs to be sacked.
  • ddraver
    Unfortunately, he was made a Lord and brought into the cabinet instead...
    - @ddraver
  • surrey_commuter
    Is it becuase NI is in the UK or because it is in the EU?

In your example could we re-export the oranges to Belgium?
  • ddraver
    edited June 2021
    I assume back into Belgium too, but I haven't checked - it's quite hard to check because all the official documentation online is wrong too!

NB - shiny new tariff website for those of those who like such things...

edit - hearing that it is because they have claimed preference on entry into the UK, so they can't claim it again on the way to NI

- @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    So there was a theory I think i posited on here that the support from certain billionaires for Brexit was a lot to do with the tax avoidance reforms occurring in the EU.

France, Germany, Spain and Italy are coming to an agreement on it.

With the US working on similar too, it seems finally we’re seeing some progress here.

You would struggle to see the UK doing this though. A missed opportunity
  • tailwindhome

While this is good news, it does rather sink the argument that countries won't do trade deals with countries who align with EU standards.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • surrey_commuter

While this is good news, it does rather sink the argument that countries won't do trade deals with countries who align with EU standards.

All I read about in this deal is that it is good for cheese exports. Are cheese exports a big thing or are the media subtly extracting the urine?
  • tailwindhome

All I read about in this deal is that it is good for cheese exports. Are cheese exports a big thing or are the media subtly extracting the urine?
    Musicians are free to gig in Liechtenstein

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486

Musicians are free to gig in Liechtenstein

"Good evening... Vaduz!"
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross

Blessed are the cheese makers
  • ddraver
    Good for Norweigen Fishermen too...
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    I haven't read the article - but I can tell you "We’ve seen manufacturers of medicines cutting supply" is a lie.

• tailwindhome
    It's extraordinary piece of negotiation for one party to a deal to so publicly and repeatedly trash their own deal.

How they think this helps achieve what they want in the room I don't know

• Pross

It's extraordinary piece of negotiation for one party to a deal to so publicly and repeatedly trash their own deal.

Forced into agreeing to it by nasty foreign bullies apparently so not their own deal really.
  • surrey_commuter
    Pross said:

Forced into agreeing to it by nasty foreign bullies apparently so not their own deal really.
    Nope good old Frosty got us on the front foot by waging psych ops with such devastating tactic as having Union Jack lanyards.

Surely being a tvvat works better that paying attention to detail
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    It's all worth it for the blue/black passport lads.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • tailwindhome
    Worth pondering this for a minute

Lord Frost didn't realize the impact of barriers to trade, in the form of paperwork and checks, would have on UK businesses exporting to EU and would cause suppliers to decide it wasn't worthwhile