BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ddraver said:

He is truly a gaping haemorrhoid on the censored of Britain isn't he...

Swear filter doesn't get context then...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    So there isn't a flood of unemployed British workers prepared to do minimum wage jobs working for a total arsehole who were previously prevented from doing so by foreigners undercutting them then? I'm shocked.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,685
    ddraver said:

He is truly a gaping haemorrhoid on the censored of Britain isn't he...

I almost regret not clumsily walking into him and toppling him into the Exe when I've passed him here. His smug look makes me feel quite nauseous, so maybe I'd be forgiven for my momentary inability to walk in a straight line.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,506
    Pross said:

So there isn't a flood of unemployed British workers prepared to do minimum wage jobs working for a total censored who were previously prevented from doing so by foreigners undercutting them then? I'm shocked.

I don't think you can use both minimum wage and undercutting in the same rant. There may be unemployed British people willing to do the job for more than the minimum wage, but we don't know as I doubt that is currently on offer.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    Jezyboy said:

ddraver said:

Well....so what Jez?

Someone I saw pointed out that what he probably means is immigration along the UAE modern slave lines...

Oh its not that I don't think he's a prize pudding, just that he probably didn't intend it to get this far. Quite why he's mouthing off about it now, I'm not really sure though.

Because British workers don't want his low paid jobs and remember how he treated his staff last year so he wants to import low paid staff like he did before Brexit. Simples.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

Pross said:

So there isn't a flood of unemployed British workers prepared to do minimum wage jobs working for a total censored who were previously prevented from doing so by foreigners undercutting them then? I'm shocked.

I don't think you can use both minimum wage and undercutting in the same rant. There may be unemployed British people willing to do the job for more than the minimum wage, but we don't know as I doubt that is currently on offer.

I agree but I saw it posted on here recently that the reason EU workers were being used was that they were undercutting the good, honest British worker. I'm sure there's a price at which people would be happy to take bar work - I'd consider it for a salary match - but I doubt that's what Mr Wetherspoons is prepared to offer. Given how the hospitality sector, and pubs in particular, are always complaining about not being able to make enough to keep going (and to be fair that seems to be quite well supported by the amount that have closed over the last 20 years) I don't see many offering above minimum wage for bar work.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    The UK population is aging and if all these old people want their pensions, who is going to earn the money to pay for that benefit?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Pross said:

Pross said:

I agree but I saw it posted on here recently that the reason EU workers were being used was that they were undercutting the good, honest British worker. I'm sure there's a price at which people would be happy to take bar work - I'd consider it for a salary match - but I doubt that's what Mr Wetherspoons is prepared to offer. Given how the hospitality sector, and pubs in particular, are always complaining about not being able to make enough to keep going (and to be fair that seems to be quite well supported by the amount that have closed over the last 20 years) I don't see many offering above minimum wage for bar work.
    I'm sure we're all very aware that there are good barmen and there are barmen.

Whilst you're not likely to ever be super rich working in hospitality, you can make a good living if you are good at it (partly by going abroad where you are appreciated), but not at a Weatherspoons you won't...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Whilst you're not likely to ever be super rich working in hospitality, you can make a good living if you are good at it (partly by going abroad where you are appreciated), but not at a Weatherspoons you won't...
    Outside of posh hotels and cocktail bars I really don't see that in the UK. Hospitality is treated as far more of a career in European countries (as you'll know better than me). People actually train for years to be a waiter. Over here it's just part-time work for students, extra money for those in poorly paid full-time jobs or people who can't get anything else.
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Back in the day when I worked in pubs, Wetherspoons was an incredibly efficient bar to work in. It always irritated me going in other pubs and seeing the inefficiency and slowness in doing anything.

• briantrumpet

ddraver said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Back in the day when I worked in pubs, Wetherspoons was an incredibly efficient bar to work in. It always irritated me going in other pubs and seeing the inefficiency and slowness in doing anything.

There's no doubt he brought an efficiency-minded view to the sector. And I like the way they have preserved for public use some notable buildings, without destroying their character completely.

OTOH...
  • TheBigBean

ddraver said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

There's no doubt he brought an efficiency-minded view to the sector. And I like the way they have preserved for public use some notable buildings, without destroying their character completely.

OTOH...
    Also did a lot for real ales prior to it being fashionable. They had non-smoking areas before it was law. Regularly inspected to ensure standards. Not really sure what people don't like.
  • pblakeney
    edited June 2021

ddraver said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

OTOH...
    Also did a lot for real ales prior to it being fashionable. They had non-smoking areas before it was law. Regularly inspected to ensure standards. Not really sure what people don't like.
    Efficiency brings the benefit of cheap prices and increased profits. Cheap prices attracts the kind of customer I don't wish to spend time in the company of. #snob
    I do however like real pubs with real people who are either interesting or funny. Price and income is irrelevant. #notsnob
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey

ddraver said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

OTOH...
    The punters. (the feeling is very mutual...)
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

OTOH...
    Efficiency brings the benefit of cheap prices and increased profits. Cheap prices attracts the kind of customer I don't wish to spend time in the company of. #snob
    I do however like real pubs with real people who are either interesting or funny. Price and income is irrelevant. #notsnob
    Some those that drink in a weatherspoons aren't real people? And they aren't real pubs?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

OTOH...
    Some those that drink in a weatherspoons aren't real people? And they aren't real pubs?
    Witherspoons are fake pubs which attract fake chavs.
    This is a personal opinion and a generalisation obs. Real people occasionally pop in for one in the passing.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

OTOH...
    This is a personal opinion and a generalisation obs. Real people occasionally pop in for one in the passing.

In the past I've popped in for some cheap beer and a microwaved meal, but have no intention of adding to the knob's profits any more given his attitudes to Brexit and his staff during covid.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

OTOH...
    Ah, you want an old man nursing half a mild and assortment of warm ditchwater to sup next to the open fire while trying not to bang your head on the ceiling beams.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

OTOH...
    Ah, you want an old man nursing half a mild and assortment of warm ditchwater to sup next to the open fire while trying not to bang your head on the ceiling beams.
    That might be your personal experience.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    'spoons are actually quite different depending on the individual pub.

I like the ones that occupy interesting buildings e.g. the one in an old bank nr Bank. Wonderful building. clientele obviously very different to other spoons.

The one in Whitstable occupies the old Peter Cushing Cinema - another great annd interesting building, again with slightly different (more middle class clientele).

Compare that with the one, say in Redhill, is in a shitty 80s (i think building) and is a hive of scum and villainy like the Mos Eisley cantina on the surface, but have had the a few good nights in there with some good company.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    Fairly sure the Cambridge 'spoons (the Regal) claims to be the biggest pub in the UK.
  • briantrumpet
    elbowloh said:

'spoons are actually quite different depending on the individual pub.

I like the ones that occupy interesting buildings e.g. the one in an old bank nr Bank. Wonderful building. clientele obviously very different to other spoons.

The one in Whitstable occupies the old Peter Cushing Cinema - another great annd interesting building, again with slightly different (more middle class clientele).

Compare that with the one, say in Redhill, is in a shitty 80s (i think building) and is a hive of scum and villainy like the Mos Eisley cantina on the surface, but have had the a few good nights in there with some good company.

This. George's Meeting House in Exeter - an old chapel - is a beaut. Really nicely restored, keeping lots of original features.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123
    edited June 2021
    Daily Express headline "Food shop alert as YOUR supermarket bill set to soar due to EU red tape - BRITONS have been warned to expect a rise in food prices later this year, as new "red-tape" on trade with the EU comes into effect."

Obviously it's not EU red tape causing higher prices to UK consumers but the reverse, but read this whole story and tell me it's not entirely about provoking an emotional response based on nobody actually reading it. The article's an absolute shambles.

The alarm was sounded by the British Retail Consortium, which also noted rising global food prices. Boris Johnson’s new Brexit trade deal with the EU took effect in January.

This reintroduced customs checks on the trade of many products between the bloc and Britain.

It also resulted in some checks on goods travelling from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.

This move infuriated Northern Irish unionists who are demanding the inspections are scrapped.

Speaking to the Daily Telegraph, BRC chief executive Helen Dickinson said UK food prices could increase later this year.

She commented: “Global food prices are currently at their highest in seven years, shipping costs have risen threefold since 2019, and commodity prices are climbing.

“We will likely see these costs filter through in the second half of this year, and with the additional Brexit red-tape this autumn, retailers may be forced to pass on some of these costs onto their customers.”

Retail giant Marks & Spencer has reported a sharp rise in costs this year due to Brexit related red-tape.

It expects to pay between £42m and £47m in additional costs this year, versus £16 million in 2020.

To address these losses, Marks & Spencer is looking to buy more food from the EU.

Clive Black, a Shore Capital retail analyst, commented: “It’s been a real problem to try and rectify.

“It’s obscene and a disgrace that bureaucrats in Brussels are thinking there is something potentially illegal or wrong with M&S lasagne.”

When contacted by Express.co.uk, a spokesperson for M&S sent over a copy of the company's 2020/21 trading statement.

It said: “The free trade agreement with the EU means we will not incur tariffs on our core UK sales.

“However potential tariffs on part of our range exported to the EU, together with very complex administrative processes, will significantly impact our businesses in Ireland, the Czech Republic and our franchise business in France which we are actively working to mitigate.”

Whilst Britain formally quit the EU in January 2020, it remained closely tied to the bloc until the end of December, during the Brexit transition period.

During this time the UK remained part of the European Single Market.

It also continued paying into the EU’s budget and imposing many laws made in Brussels.

This ended at the close of December when Boris Johnson’s new EU trade deal came into effect.

Tensions surged in Northern Ireland over the new checks, with loyalist rioting across the province in April.

Brexit Minister Lord Frost has branded the current arrangement “unsustainable”, and is urging the EU to compromise.

The UK infuriated Brussels by unilaterally deciding it would delay implementing some of the new border checks.

In response, the EU launched legal action against Britain.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Yeah, but the article talks about Brexit redtape at least. It's the sub editors/editors that have come in with the headline saying "EU red tape".
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    It reads more as if it's been composed by some algorithm that has scooped up sentences with anything to do the Brexit over the past 12 months.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    Did you see the Express article where they claimed that the drop in EU-UK trade was because proud Britons were boycotting Euro imports. The article based entirely on 5 BTL comments to another article.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864

It reads more as if it's been composed by some algorithm that has scooped up sentences with anything to do the Brexit over the past 12 months.

Is that the whole article or have you cut and pasted snippets?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123

That is the whole article.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    The article talks initially about higher food costs coming to the UK but then tries to justify this happening by talking about exports from the UK and M&S increasing the amount of food it buys from the EU to address the increased costs of Brexit red tape......
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864

That is the whole article.
    I am not an Express reader but assuming that was online it looks like somebody pressed the "submit" button when they had not got past the stage of chucking some ideas down.