Zone 6: the thread that got deleted

12345679»

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Ugo.
    I am sorry I have offended you, that was not my intent. I was offering what I thought was constructive criticism and a reality check.
    Clearly I have got this wrong. Apologies.
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237

Fwiw I'm with Ugo on this - you have to enjoy the training otherwise why are you doing it.

Yes there's an element of deferred gratification - you enjoy being fast - but to get better you have to actually train and if you just aren't enjoying it you'll stop.

Anyway I don't think Ugo is giving it the big I am so why the hostility - I mean where are some of you racing at the moment - I'll come and watch if you are that good.

Couldn't agree more with this.
    There's some people on here who seem to have very high opinions of themselves, it's not exactly a busy forum at the best of times but I'm sure their ****ishness does nothing to encourage people to contribute.
  • Things certainly degenerated quite quickly into a bit of a childish point scoring exercise - which after years of lurking/rarely contributing, is not uncommon on here. To be honest, I thought that the advice being given was initially very reasonable, as was Ugo's decision not to take it. I don't think any (or many) of us are pros, so anything we do is being done for enjoyment.

For those offering advice, bear in mind that even if the person who is offered it chooses not to follow it, there are still lots of people reading posts here who can make use of it. Kind of the point of the forum, I guess.

On a positive note: Ugo, I have very much enjoyed following this thread. Whilst I probably fall into the category of someone who would choose to follow different training methods, following your progress has been both interesting and enjoyable. As someone whose racing is likely to be vicarious only going forward - too many other things to do - I appreciate you posting updates. Feel free to follow your own plan, as is your prerogative. That said, I reckon you could top ten with a turbo trainer and some interval training ! ;)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited June 2021

Can't really disagree with Ugo.

Just because his training isn't as dedicated and intense as it could be, doesn't mean he can't enjoy the successes, however small, they bring.

After all, it's just a bit of fun, just like baiting strangers on the internet, I suppose.

The bit I disagree with Ugo on is him basically dismissing anyone who does any kind of structured training plan or uses a turbo trainer... which is not really supported by anything other than his own bias.

His own training seems perfectly sensible to me and I have commented as such several times - he is definitely getting decent numbers out of it anyway.

As above I didn't really mean to cause offence, although at the time I made the last post I was a bit cross with Ugo for his continual negativity towards any kind of training he doesn't agree with.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172

As above I didn't really mean to cause offence, although at the time I made the last post I was a bit cross with Ugo for his continual negativity towards any kind of training he doesn't agree with.

Ugo opens a thread to share his journey into hill climbing and updates it regularly before and after races.
    Ugo is offered training advice he didn't really ask for at any point and politely declines, suggesting that it's not for him.
    A couple of users pick on him, because he doesn't want to follow the advice he is given (and didn't ask for)... such users become more aggressive and repeatedly contravene rule no. 9 of this very forum (I think it's 9...). That's it, in a nutshell.

It's not about whether you agree with me or not, or whether I am stubborn in my ways, that is irrelevant... it's the fact that an innocent thread about hill climbing has to degenerate to this extent.

There is an apology above, which was nice to read, but ultimately why do I have to waste my time writing on this thread to then be abused? It's not that I have a financial interest in doing so.
    If people have some repressed anger, why not directing it towards the many snake oil salesmen on the web, rather than towards the OP of a very innocent thread about a sport where nobody makes any profit at any level?
    left the forum March 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Well, if you don't want unsolicited advice, don't post on a public forum I guess - unfortunately it's inevitable.

I personally quite liked reading about your progress and so on.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Some time ago, on this thread, it was argued that in the days anyone could do a 22' on a road bike with no aero bits... this might have been the case... however, here is the result of a very recent Open race for road bikes only... they are allowed deep aero wheels, aero frames and skinsuits... and it's considered a fast course, it's all double carriage with no hills... admittedly low turnout, but much higher quality than you would find in a club event

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-results/21405#anchor
  • ugo.santalucia
    And again...
    345 Watts only yield a 22' on a road bike... the guy in question is one of the strongest in the Midlands, consistently top 5 in Open events, destroys everybody at club level, kind of 19' on a TT bike.

But of course in the days anyone could do a 22' on a road bike... :s

https://www.strava.com/activities/5707625790
  • webboo
    Well I have done a 22:23 back in the 1980’s steel bike rebadged Cougar in Falcon cycles colours and badges. No aero wheels, no helmet but a skin suit. I think the winner did a 19.
    I suspect I wasn’t even in the top 50 in the race.
    In those days you often had be economical with your times in order to get races on fast courses.
    I did several 23’s on our local course which I think had a course record on 21 something.
  • ugo.santalucia
    webboo said:

Well I have done a 22:23 back in the 1980’s steel bike rebadged Cougar in Falcon cycles colours and badges. No aero wheels, no helmet but a skin suit. I think the winner did a 19.
    I suspect I wasn’t even in the top 50 in the race.
    In those days you often had be economical with your times in order to get races on fast courses.
    I did several 23’s on our local course which I think had a course record on 21 something.

It's still the case that getting entries on fast courses is difficult. There is one in Tring I've tried to enter a couple of times unsuccessfully.
    But I am cooling off on afternoon races on dual carriages, after a guy round here died on a course that I had raced on a few weeks earlier... I have to say it didn't feel particularly safe
  • webboo
    The trick is to put you did a short 23 in club tt or as a private in another clubs tt. Or do people check in these days of the interweb.
  • ugo.santalucia
    webboo said:

The trick is to put you did a short 23 in club tt or as a private in another clubs tt. Or do people check in these days of the interweb.

You can tweak your CTT profile, but they can check whether the PB has been obtained in an Open event or not.
    Either way, as expected I tend to do better (comparatively) in hilly TTs and I do enjoy them more, so it's a win win.
    There is a local guy who is about 30-45 seconds quicker on the fast courses, but I put a minute into him on the more undulated ones... :)