Replacement screws and fixings

myideal
myideal Posts: 231
Hi,

Probably a really simple one. I have a load of screws and bits that are rusting (no doubt my sweat) and was just wondering if you can sort of simply purchase any aftermarket stuff to replace, or if its specifical kit to a brand?

Ideally thar headset screw Probably needs something nice and new going into it.

Those handle bar screws definitely need a replacement.

Finally can you buy the brake components that have gone rusty and swap them over as well?

My bike is a Cannodale Synapse.

I guess I thought some experts on here will know if it's possible before I spend any time looking for the wrong kit / stuff you can't purchase.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    All of those will probably be available, but would need more specifics. The stem bolts are pretty standard, they're almost always M5 thread but you'd need to check the length, generally they're around 20mm thread length. The bolt through the top cap is probably M6 with a countersunk head, but again you'd need to check the length.

Brake spares will be dependent on the model of the brakes. SJS are good for these small spares. For example, if you have 105 R7000 brakes, you could buy this replacement quick release set: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/shimano-105-brr7000-quick-release-assembly-y8zj98030/ They have many alternatives, but if your brakes are from a smaller brand or unlabelled, it might be difficult to find a match and getting replacement calipers would be the easiest thing to do.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    So taking them in order

1) yes replaceable but quite hard to get hold of. What brake caliper is it exactly? In future I'd use a bit of WD40 to keep it from rusting.

If it's shimano 105 5800 - this part should work

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Ultegra-BR-6800-6810-F-Caliper-Brake-Quick-Release-Assembly-/273119060590

otherwise not sure - may need to replace the whole caliper.

2) Definitely can be replaced but just make sure you get the same one (length, head size etc)

3) Easily replaced from any hardware store - again, double check the head size and length. Should be no more than £1 or less if buying online / in bulk.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Take bolts off

go to nut and bolt man - not B&Q, not Edwyn's hardware but the man who supplies nuts and bolts to your local garages. Do a quick Google for your area if you don't know where he is.

He will sell you everything, in stainless, for literally pennies.

They're just bolts, nothing special about them.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Tbh though, as its 5 bolts, pop into your lbs - they should have a load of new ones knocking around for when they rrplace them so, again, pennies but not as cheap as nut and bolt man.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.