• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Ffs. Brexit is just the sh!t that keeps on sh!tting

The French didn't have to impose those conditions...
    Could this have happened without Brexit? Yes or no.
    It couldn't, but they chose to do it. And as far as I am aware this isn't policy across the EU27 so direct your ire in the direction of Paris.
    I can blame the uk govt for giving Paris the option to do so, can I not?

One day you will wake up and realise that not everything is the UKs fault. If anything French relatives should be more annoyed having to go to the mayor's office to get a glib bit of paper to authorise their loved ones visit. Given their liking of a demonstration maybe they should get a few tractors and make their point. Is there much of a problem with destitute UK citizens needing to be deported that the French need to guard against.
    If you give nations an option to be d!ckish, don’t be surprised if they take the option.

You can complain they’re a d!ck if you want but given you control the option and not whether they are a d!cl or not, I’d focus on what you can control.
    Sounds like you admit France are being d1cks. Its a start.

Kind of makes me wish we were in some sort of arrangement that reined in that sort of thing.
    D1cks gonna be d1cks. Glad we are free to retaliate.
    It’s the British citizens who lose out here.
    But if the French lose out worse, then that's a net positive. That's just common sense.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Brexit has led to an increase in things to blame the French for, that's got to be a good thing, no?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

It couldn't, but they chose to do it. And as far as I am aware this isn't policy across the EU27 so direct your ire in the direction of Paris.

One day you will wake up and realise that not everything is the UKs fault. If anything French relatives should be more annoyed having to go to the mayor's office to get a glib bit of paper to authorise their loved ones visit. Given their liking of a demonstration maybe they should get a few tractors and make their point. Is there much of a problem with destitute UK citizens needing to be deported that the French need to guard against.
    If you give nations an option to be d!ckish, don’t be surprised if they take the option.

You can complain they’re a d!ck if you want but given you control the option and not whether they are a d!cl or not, I’d focus on what you can control.

Kind of makes me wish we were in some sort of arrangement that reined in that sort of thing.
    How very mature. You know how this ends?
    I guess you have a crystal ball?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And French citizens/the French economy. Other holiday destinations are available - I will bear this in mind when deciding on a skiing holiday next season.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nice bit of daydreaming.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nice bit of daydreaming.

Yeah, I do that sort of thing... hoping for a world where we're able to get past petty nationalistic point-scoring, and co-operating with other countries for the overall benefit of all. Crazy, I know.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nice bit of daydreaming.

Yeah, I do that sort of thing... hoping for a world where we're able to get past petty nationalistic point-scoring, and co-operating with other countries for the overall benefit of all. Crazy, I know.
    Funny how a country still in the EU can still act like that...
  • Stevo_666

Brexit has led to an increase in things to blame the French for, that's got to be a good thing, no?

I'd rather not have stuff to blame the French for, but they aren't really helping themselves here, are they?
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

How very mature. You know how this ends?
    I guess you have a crystal ball?

Fancy a little trade war, maybe? Who wins?? No-one.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/11/who-benefits-from-a-trade-war/
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I assume that you are aware that France is merely applying the same regulations on UK citizens that have applied to other 'third countries' outside of the EU for many years. What argument world you use for this not to apply to us?

Tbh none and we shouldn't expect an exception to be made.
    It is you that seems so upset about these less than onerous demands.
    To expect an exemption because we are British is really rather "Gammon" of you is it not? ;)
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nice bit of daydreaming.

You've yet to answer my question about why they shouldn't apply a policy to UK citizens which has been in place for non-EU countries for several years. Given that one of the reasons Brexiters give for withdrawing from the EU is being able to prevent economic immigration, making sure that non-EU citizens won't be a drain on the French state doesn't seem unreasonable, even if it is a bit of a PITA.
  • briantrumpet

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I assume that you are aware that France is merely applying the same regulations on UK citizens that have applied to other 'third countries' outside of the EU for many years. What argument world you use for this not to apply to us?

Tbh none and we shouldn't expect an exception to be made.
    It is you that seems so upset about these less than onerous demands.
    To expect an exemption because we are British is really rather "Gammon" of you is it not? ;)

Did I say we should have an exemption?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    We want to close our borders. We want everyone to keep their borders open.
    Cake and eat it springs to mind. Again.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

...and blame 'them' when they apply to us what was a foreseeable outcome of Brexit (the regulations were already there).
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nice bit of daydreaming.

You've yet to answer my question about why they shouldn't apply a policy to UK citizens which has been in place for non-EU countries for several years. Given that one of the reasons Brexiters give for withdrawing from the EU is being able to prevent economic immigration, making sure that non-EU citizens won't be a drain on the French state doesn't seem unreasonable, even if it is a bit of a PITA.
    I don't mind if they are imposing these conditions on all non-EU travellers. My point as above is that they don't have to.
  • Stevo_666
    pblakeney said:

Closing them and keeping control of them are very different things. Not sure why you keep repeating the same old guff when its far too late anyway.
  • briantrumpet
    edited May 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nice bit of daydreaming.

I don't mind if they are imposing these conditions on all non-EU travellers. My point as above is that they don't have to.

And Britain doesn't have to impose any restrictions on travellers to Britain, but it does, and was one of the main drivers of Brexit.

I really don't see what point you're trying to make, except that the French are being unreasonably beastly to the UK, when all they are doing is applying longstanding rules that were in place for non-EU nationals when we signed up to Brexit.

I'd guess you probably don't mind all the conditions that the US put on travellers to the US. They don't have to...

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And French citizens/the French economy. Other holiday destinations are available - I will bear this in mind when deciding on a skiing holiday next season.
    Exactly this is the kind of behaviour EU membership prevents between members.

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    😀😀😂
    Tim Martin wants to introduce a new visa system that makes it easier to recruit staff from countries which are geographically close.

Seems he is so short of staff he can not fully open all of his pits 🙄
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    If I'd heard him say it I'd have had to primal scream....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021

😀😀😂
    Tim Martin wants to introduce a new visa system that makes it easier to recruit staff from countries which are geographically close.

Rather like the SNP which spans the political spectrum but are united by their separatist desires, the Brexiters are slowly realising beyond their dislike of the EU they don’t have that much in common.

Tim realising that people remember how badly he treated his staff in March 2020 and so he has to find staff from abroad who won’t remember.
  • surrey_commuter

😀😀😂

Rather like the SNP which spans the political spectrum but are united by their separatist desires, the Brexiters are slowly realising beyond their dislike of the EU they don’t have that much in common.
    what amazes me is that I never had him down as thick yet this seem like an inevitable consequence of the policy he fought so strongly for. I even remember stats being quoted for how many of his staff were EU.
  • rick_chasey
    By now he is rich enough to be a part time professional troll, no?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,868
    Is there not every chance he felt that talking up brexit was just a marketing scheme and that the adults wouldn't actually take us out of the single market?

• ddraver
    Well....so what Jez?

Someone I saw pointed out that what he probably means is immigration along the UAE modern slave lines...
    - @ddraver
  • surrey_commuter
    ddraver said:

If I'd heard him say it I'd have had to primal scream....

can't help with the vocals but he is quoted fairly extensively

The boss of JD Wetherspoon has called on the prime minister to introduce a visa scheme for European Union workers as British pubs and restaurants struggle to recruit staff in the post-pandemic labour market squeeze.

Tim Martin, a vocal Brexiteer, said Boris Johnson should introduce a visa system to reduce the pressures on companies, suggesting that countries geographically closer to the UK could be given preferential treatment.

Pub and restaurant bosses have said they were being forced to shut sites during the crucial lunchtime trade because of a shortage of workers.

Martin, 66, told the Daily Telegraph: “The UK has a low birth rate. A reasonably liberal immigration system controlled by those we have elected, as distinct from the EU system, would be a plus for the economy and the country.

“America, Australia and Singapore have benefited for many decades from this approach. Immigration combined with democracy works.”

Wetherspoon, founded by Martin in 1979, sells cheap ales, breakfasts, lunches and dinners. It had 44 pubs in 1992 at its flotation and today has 871 in the UK and Ireland. Over the past 12 months it has reduced the number of staff by about 6,000 to almost 38,000.

Martin has been a prominent business critic of the EU and campaigned for Britain to leave the single market before the Brexit referendum.

A visa system would make it easier for pubs and restaurants to hire workers from the EU, with post-Brexit rules making it more difficult for workers in lower-skilled roles to settle in the UK.
  • ddraver
    He is truly a gaping haemorrhoid on the asshole of Britain isn't he...
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    John will be most disappointed
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    British jobs for British people isn't quite going to plan now, is it?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,868
    ddraver said:

Well....so what Jez?

Someone I saw pointed out that what he probably means is immigration along the UAE modern slave lines...

Oh its not that I don't think he's a prize pudding, just that he probably didn't intend it to get this far. Quite why he's mouthing off about it now, I'm not really sure though.