Alternative to Sidi

I have a pair of Sidi Genius 7 mega fit which I like very much, but they are beginning to get old and will probably fail in the not so distant future.
The new Genius 10 don't come with the Mega fit...

What's out there < £ 150 which is worth as a replacement? Something durable, reasonably wide fit (so not Shimano) , with carbon soles, possibly light (not to be used in winter)...
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    edited May 2021
    I've always found sidi shoes cause me hot spots, so switched a while back to specialized after trying quite a few different makes (bont, fizik, shimano etc).

The sworks range are super stiff but look at the torch 2.0 or 3.0.

Also, I've heard very good things about the dhb range, so another one to consider.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,170
    I did have Specialized many years ago, but they were a bit narrow... DHB look good (especially the price point!)
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    DHB are very well made, great price, wide fitting - i'm a narrow foot and they are far too wide for me, so if thats your fitting go for it.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I have had 3 pairs of Sidi Wire, ergo 2’s etc over the years. Fancied a change and bought a pair of Le Col shoes, which really are very good. They are wider than standard Sidi fit and at first I thought they were too wide, but actually they are very comfortable, just different from the Sidis. You should be able to get £50 off with a voucher, which brings them down to £200, which is above your quoted budget, but they are very good.
  • emanresu
    emanresu Posts: 320
    I'm wide of foot and find Northwave wider than most other brands. Infact I've just replaced a pair of Shimano wide fit shoes with a pair of regular fit Northwave shoes.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    If you're ordering the DHBs be aware that they are not just wide fitting, they are large full stop (unusual for cycling shoes).
    I take a 43 in most brands and had to take a 41 in DHB. I ordered a pair and after sending back a couple of times to get the right size I didn't end up keeping in the end. Lovely sole, felt fairly comfortable, and well made, but the uppers just didn't feel that nice, certainly not in comparison to the Fizik and Giro I already had.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Lake? As per @emanresu , I have duck feet and use Northwave. Weirdly wide for Italian shoes (no insult intended!)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    I've had a camo pair of Dorika Carbons for ~2 years, very light and comfy https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dhb-dorica-carbon-road-shoe/rp-prod182579
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ugo.santalucia
    How is the fit for these Dorica shoes?
    I have 43 wide (MEGA) on Sidi, but need 44 for Shimano. Used to have Specialized in size 9, but they were a smidge too narrow.
    These say to go one size down... but I'd be tempted to go 43, rather than 42.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited May 2021
    I went my usual trainer size of 43 (for ~27.5cm feet), which feel a bit big if I wear thin socks, but then I usually wear On One Thickies and in those they are fine.

They replaced an old pair of Shimano sSH-M121G size 43, that felt a bit tight after a while, if I wore Thickies.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I have a pair of Bont Riot+, they are plenty wide enough and can be heat moulded for perfect fit.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I bought some Lake shoes recently, I've always found cycling shoes too narrow. I guess exerting pressure through that part of your foot constantly might make your foot feel wider than it actually is? Anyway I did some research, and the Lakes were 11 or 12 mm wider than most other brands.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Main issue with Sidi is that they have gone from a super supple synthetic leather, to a much thicker and stiffer material. I have a pair of Wires from about 3 years ago that are much less comfortable than a pair of Ergo2's that are still hanging on after 18 years. I find the exact same size (and they are surely still using the same lasts) pinch my feet.

If anyone knows a brand that does Sidi-like fit but with a decent upper (i.e. not woven) then I'm also in the market.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,369

I have a pair of Bont Riot+, they are plenty wide enough and can be heat moulded for perfect fit.

This was exactly my choice as a "wide footer"
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,223
    Are they lighter? I have a pair of sidis which I am a fan of but they aren't the lightest shoes.
  • ugo.santalucia

Are they lighter? I have a pair of sidis which I am a fan of but they aren't the lightest shoes.

I know... as a hill climber I am painfully aware of it...
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I've just replaced my 5yr old specialized 45's and the new ones are a little larger.
  • darkhairedlord
    Just drill out the sidis....
  • pippi_langsamer-2
    pippi_langsamer-2 Posts: 1,470
    edited June 2021
    What size are you? Someone selling a pair of white S-Works 7's on FB Marketplace for £145. Size 7 (41)

I've got a pair of these, and they're plenty wide enough (I usually opt for a wider model). They're considerably wider than the previous S-Works 6 too....

(sorry- just seen your post above re sizing)
  • MattFalle

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • ugo.santalucia
    MattFalle said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    You laugh, but a pair of Sidi are easily 650 grams... that's 4 Watts down the drain, as compared to screwing the cleats directly on your feet
  • First.Aspect

MattFalle said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    You laugh, but a pair of Sidi are easily 650 grams... that's 4 Watts down the drain, as compared to screwing the cleats directly on your feet
    I'd love to see the maths on that, Ugo. If you are that worried, you would be taking the inner sole out and not wearing socks, surely.
  • ugo.santalucia

MattFalle said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    I'd love to see the maths on that, Ugo. If you are that worried, you would be taking the inner sole out and not wearing socks, surely.
    The maths are fairly simple. I race at 5-7.5 W/kg depending on how long is the hill... so if we say 6 as an average, then 650 grams equates to roughly 4 Watts.

Obviously before a race I go through a checklist to see what I really need and what I don't... on some races I have carried pump and spare inner tube, simply because we were forced into a 4 mile loop to get back to HQ.
    Other times I'd wear heavier clothes, because it's better to stay warm than freeze to death to save 2 Watts.
    It's all a balance... if I could have shoes that only weigh 400 grams a pair instead of 650 and do the same job for similar money, then I'd get them
  • MattFalle
    I love Ugo. He's mega 😍😍😍
  • First.Aspect

MattFalle said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    The maths are fairly simple. I race at 5-7.5 W/kg depending on how long is the hill... so if we say 6 as an average, then 650 grams equates to roughly 4 Watts.

Obviously before a race I go through a checklist to see what I really need and what I don't... on some races I have carried pump and spare inner tube, simply because we were forced into a 4 mile loop to get back to HQ.
    Other times I'd wear heavier clothes, because it's better to stay warm than freeze to death to save 2 Watts.
    It's all a balance... if I could have shoes that only weigh 400 grams a pair instead of 650 and do the same job for similar money, then I'd get them
    so at best if you get the lightest shoes on the market you'll save about 1.5W?

What, hypothetically, does that save you over a 5 minute climb?

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,223
    I dunno bout Ugo but I just like all my kit to be really light. Makes me feel lighter on the bike and that makes me feel good.
  • First.Aspect

I dunno bout Ugo but I just like all my kit to be really light. Makes me feel lighter on the bike and that makes me feel good.

That ships sailed for me. I'm also not from Hobbiton in the first place.

So I go for everything being expensive, instead.
  • darkhairedlord
    Aluminum alloy cleat bolts and well worn tyres down to the canvas. Trim the bottom 3" off your shorts. Remove every third spoke...
  • First.Aspect
    Cycle naked.

For hill climbs, remove the brakes.

And the saddle.

And the seat post.
  • ugo.santalucia

MattFalle said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

so at best if you get the lightest shoes on the market you'll save about 1.5W?

What, hypothetically, does that save you over a 5 minute climb?

Maybe you can be on the faster side of the same second and be rounded up to one second quicker? It's not the time per se, who cares... it's the standings

Just to give you an idea, I was tied in 176th place with another guy at the National... maybe 1W extra and I would have been on top.

At my level, one place up or down in an Open could potentially mean qualifying or not qualifying.

Equally, the top two were split by one second... one is champion the other is nothing