Advice sought: recently widowed friend trying to sell husband's bikes

I'd like to stress that this isn't intended as an advert for a sale. It's just that a friend recently passed away and his wife is looking to sell his mtb and both of their road bikes.

She's asked me if I can help with highlighting the parts of the bikes that might be of interest to potential buyer. I have a basic understanding of bike tech but I'm no expert and I was wondering if anyone here might be able to advise on things we should highlight on the bikes?

I'll post a separate request for advice on the road bike forum.

So, these are the details that I have picked up for the mountain bike:
Santa Cruz Nomad
* XL size Alloy frame
* Shimano SLX II crankset
* SRAM X9 rear derailleur
* GVP virtual pivot point rear suspension
* Fox DHX Air rear shock absorber
* Fox Talas front forks
* Syntace F149 stem

Can anyone suggest anything else that she should highlight?
Thanks

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Year purchased / rough use / which year model it is (and link to review if possible) condition (cosmetic and mechanical parts - paint chips / drivechain)
  • Year purchased / rough use / which year model it is (and link to review if possible) condition (cosmetic and mechanical parts - paint chips / drivechain)

Thanks, all good points!
  • emanresu
    emanresu Posts: 320
    I'd list the make and model of brakes and shifters too.

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    And wheels/tyres details.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    It is good that you are trying to help her, but you can't be the only one of the people he used to ride with. I would suggest to her to ask one of his knowledgeable riding buddies to help her sell the bikes (Or you find one for her, if you know any). If he'd been one of my good mates I'd be more than happy to do so.

She will have more than enough on dealing with the death of her husband without having to get her head around all this stuff. The thought that she might feel that she is being ripped off and selling her husbands bikes for a pittance would be painful for her.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    what colour it is.

basically that's all anyone really cares about.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • It is good that you are trying to help her, but you can't be the only one of the people he used to ride with. I would suggest to her to ask one of his knowledgeable riding buddies to help her sell the bikes (Or you find one for her, if you know any). If he'd been one of my good mates I'd be more than happy to do so.

She will have more than enough on dealing with the death of her husband without having to get her head around all this stuff. The thought that she might feel that she is being ripped off and selling her husbands bikes for a pittance would be painful for her.

Thanks, good advice.

Sadly, before she came to me she approached the guy who is probably the most knowledgeable of all the guys her husband rode with. She asked him twice and he said he'd take a look but never came good on it. She didn't want to ask a third time so she asked me.

I'm going to try to get some idea of the used market value of the bikes in order to help her.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Might be worth listing them on the Singletrack forum classifieds, gets a bit more traffic than this place. Especially for the MTB.

https://singletrackworld.com/classifieds/
  • mrb123 said:

Might be worth listing them on the Singletrack forum classifieds, gets a bit more traffic than this place. Especially for the MTB.

https://singletrackworld.com/classifieds/

Good idea. Thanks!