Critérium du Dauphiné 2021 ***Spoilers***

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,137
So it's already almost June. No Roglic. No Pogacar. It's looking a bit like an Ineos training session.

These are the bookies odds (Paddy Power)

11/10 Thomas
3/1 Porte
12/1 Lopez
14/1 Kuss, TGH, Quintana
16/1 G Martin
25/1 Kruijswijk, Vinegaard, Gaudu
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    It's strange how many serious stage races without the Slovenians look that way. Where's the depth?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    gsk82 said:

It's strange how many serious stage races without the Slovenians look that way. Where's the depth?

Switzerland, judging from how their startlist is shaping up.
    However, this has to be the poorest Dauphine line up in years.

Anyhow, today's stage. Using La Flamme cos as usual, the ASO's profiles are shiite.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 707

Switzerland, judging from how their startlist is shaping up.

Re Switzerland, the Tour has been spoilt a bit by it having been decided to re-route stages 6 and 8, because of winter conditions up the passes Nufenen-Furka-Susten.
    On the one hand I'm surprised the decisions to re-route have already been made. The decision about stage 6 (Nufenen) was made a couple of days ago, the decision about stage 8 (Furka-Grimsel-Susten) about a week ago, although the stages don't actually take place until 11 and 13 June respectively – the weather could still warm up appreciably in between time, allowing the opening of the passes.
    But on the other hand I'm surprised these passes were at all included in this year's Tour, considering it is starting 5-10 days earlier than usual. Currently Susten isn't anticipated to be open before 25 June and in normal years, Nufenen and Furka wouldn't be open before Susten. Grimsel is also still closed, although it typically opens in late May.

What I am however still looking forward to is stage 7. A TT which goes up and over a pass (Oberalp) must be a novelty, at least I can't remember a TT like that before. Roughly 650 m climbing over 12 km, then 600 m descending over 11 km.

• blazing_saddles
    Thanks for the really excellent info. I hadn't heard a thing, although I know a German poster who is normally right up to speed on the TdS.
    I will let him know and appear superior for once! :D
    More climbs being cancelled seems to be this year's equivalent of last year's Covid races cull.
    I'm totally fed up with it already.

As for the Dauphine: I wonder whether having timed today's stage finish for the middle of the Giro TT, is a case of cutting off one's nose to spite the UCI's face?
    Of course it might just be the ASO being aloof, or even stubborn.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,216
    Anyone else feel these warm up races have lost a bit of edge over the last decade?

I feel like it matters less than it used to
  • RichN95.

As for the Dauphine: I wonder whether having timed today's stage finish for the middle of the Giro TT, is a case of cutting off one's nose to spite the UCI's face?
    Of course it might just be the ASO being aloof, or even stubborn.

It's due to the French Open tennis
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2021
    Meanwhile, at the Dauphine, it's back to reading out half the startlist and passing it off as race commentary.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    If anyone's interested Brent van Most held on from a break that went after a few km to take the win with Colbrelli leading in the bunch 25" behind. Clement Venturini completed the top 3.

I didn't watch and had to look up the results. The top 80 were on the same time as Colbrelli including all the likely GC contenders. Not sure if there were crashes as there were some big time losses further back with last rider Ian Garrison losing over 23 minutes. Suspect it was just taken too hard up the climbs as there was a group just under 15 minutes down that included Jakobsen (second last) and Pedersen.
  • RichN95.
    Froome made it in the front group but was near the back over the final climb. I won't expect much improvement this week.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    Who would have thought he'd be finished before Cav? :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2021
    m.r.m. said:

Who would have thought he'd be finished before Cav? :wink:

Let their careers actually finish first. Cav had three years in the wilderness. And he's not done it at big races yet.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    How heavy is the Froomester at the mo? Last photo I saw he looked back to his old Barloworld shape.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • RichN95.
    davidof said:

How heavy is the Froomester at the mo? Last photo I saw he looked back to his old Barloworld shape.

He says he's down to 69kg now. 67kg was his glory days' weight. I don't know how much metal is still in him.
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    edited May 2021
    RichN95. said:

davidof said:

He says he's down to 69kg now. 67kg was his glory days' weight. I don't know how much metal is still in him.
    Wasn’t he saying he’d gained a bit more muscle too from all the rehab.

I’m not expecting much from him here and I guess he’ll be a bit part at the tour at most then maybe do the Vuelta too for the miles? I guess his hope is that eventually he regains some form to at least be towards the front end.

I don’t doubt his motivation at the moment but you’d wonder about that if he completes this season does another off season and is then still continuously getting dropped next spring. It was a horrific crash though so recovery is a huge unknown.
  • huret
    huret Posts: 62
    I have Dauphine Live on France 3 TV, but I do like to watch ITV4 Highlights too.
    I set the recorder last night for 'Criterium Dauphine ITV4 10pm'.
    This morning discovered the one hour recording was 55 minutes of Roland Garros. Looks like that's gonna throw a spanner in the works for me all week!
    Savoie between the Glandon and the Madeleine.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited May 2021
    If you're rewatching the stage on GCN, there is a glorious moment where the commentary cuts out at about 7 to go...

Bliss!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    I had the same problem but managed to record the following itv programme and it was in that time slot - realised why I never watch cycling on ITV if Eurosport is an alternative.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • blazing_saddles
    Today's coverage is taking an age to start.
  • ddraver
    Looks like this may turn into the criterium de breakaway at the mo...
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    Aye.
    Lukas looking lucky.
  • ddraver
    I've worked it out, If I'm chromecasting, leave the app, then re-enter (to have a lot ok at the stage map for example) it switches to no-commentary mode for some reason...
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

I've worked it out, If I'm chromecasting, leave the app, then re-enter (to have a lot ok at the stage map for example) it switches to no-commentary mode for some reason...

Could be the most popular hack / glitch of all time!
  • Pross
    edited May 2021
    Froome getting dropped with about 3km of the climb to go.
  • blazing_saddles
    Brent Van No Moer.
    Froome still not able to stick with the bunch. Dropped again.
  • ddraver
    Postelburger goes over the top of the last proper climb with 50s.

6km to go with a 1km climb to do
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Ineos thin on the ground. Only two left.
  • Pross
    Various GC contenders going off the front including Geraint.
  • Pross
    O'Connor nearly caught and Postleburger down to 20". Colbrelli somehow still in there.
  • ddraver
    3 to go, Postelburger with 20s.

Some GC fidgeting behind
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2021
    Only about 30 left in the front group (after Postelberger)