BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,875
    Do you still think you'll get away to your French hideaway Brian?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,686

Do you still think you'll get away to your French hideaway Brian?

Really don't know, though a friend has suggested that a ferry to Holland might be a good diversion. TBH, even if I have to quarantine in my house for ten days, sitting on my balcony, reading books, and gazing at 2000m mountains it wouldn't be so bad... it would still leave me 5½ weeks to ride my bike. Sorry, I mean 'essential maintenance to the house'.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508

From the British Embassy in Paris

INFORMATION ABOUT PROVIDING PROOF OF ACCOMODATION AT THE FRENCH BORDER

"We have updated our travel advice concerning which types of documents visitors to France may be asked to provide at the French border as confirmation of accommodation.
    France categorises possible accommodation arrangements for visitors as follows:
    1. Staying with family, friends or third party
    You may be asked to provide an ’attestation d’accueil’ (welcome invitation) from your host if you are staying with friends or family. The French resident hosting you will need to obtain this ‘attestation d’accueil’ from their local Mayor’s office, and send you the original attestation before you enter France. You should also be prepared to show proof of funds of at least €32.50 per day, for the duration of your stay. If you do not have an ‘attestation d’accueil’ you should be ready to fulfil the requirements of option 4 below. More information is available here: https://www.demarches.interieur.gouv.fr/.../attestation...
    2. You have a second home in France
    You will need to be able to prove ownership or tenancy of your property e.g. a tax or utility bill.
    3. You are staying in a hotel or other commercially provided accommodation
    You may be asked for confirmation of your reservation when entering France. You should also be prepared to show proof of funds of at least €65 per day for the duration of your stay.
    4. You do not have an ‘attestation d’accueil’ or any pre-booked accommodation
    In this instance, you may be asked to prove you have sufficient funds to pay for your accommodation. You should also be prepared to show proof of funds of at least €120 per day for the duration of your stay.
    There are separate requirements for those who are resident in France. If you are resident in France, you should carry proof of residence as well as your valid passport when you travel. For further information for residents, see and our Living in France guide: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-france...
    For further information on these requirements, visit the French government’s website on travel conditions for British citizens: https://brexit.gouv.fr/.../modalites-de-voyage-en.html

Is this a Brexit bonus?

Oh, someone ought to tell the Embassy that 'accommodation' still has two M's.
    It's clearly a pain, but defining exactly how much you need should be helpful. No so good for the average backpacker though.
    Backpackers don't contribute to the economy, so why would they want them cluttering the place up?
    They do contribute to the economy just less than high rollers.
  • TheBigBean

From the British Embassy in Paris

INFORMATION ABOUT PROVIDING PROOF OF ACCOMODATION AT THE FRENCH BORDER

"We have updated our travel advice concerning which types of documents visitors to France may be asked to provide at the French border as confirmation of accommodation.
    France categorises possible accommodation arrangements for visitors as follows:
    1. Staying with family, friends or third party
    You may be asked to provide an ’attestation d’accueil’ (welcome invitation) from your host if you are staying with friends or family. The French resident hosting you will need to obtain this ‘attestation d’accueil’ from their local Mayor’s office, and send you the original attestation before you enter France. You should also be prepared to show proof of funds of at least €32.50 per day, for the duration of your stay. If you do not have an ‘attestation d’accueil’ you should be ready to fulfil the requirements of option 4 below. More information is available here: https://www.demarches.interieur.gouv.fr/.../attestation...
    2. You have a second home in France
    You will need to be able to prove ownership or tenancy of your property e.g. a tax or utility bill.
    3. You are staying in a hotel or other commercially provided accommodation
    You may be asked for confirmation of your reservation when entering France. You should also be prepared to show proof of funds of at least €65 per day for the duration of your stay.
    4. You do not have an ‘attestation d’accueil’ or any pre-booked accommodation
    In this instance, you may be asked to prove you have sufficient funds to pay for your accommodation. You should also be prepared to show proof of funds of at least €120 per day for the duration of your stay.
    There are separate requirements for those who are resident in France. If you are resident in France, you should carry proof of residence as well as your valid passport when you travel. For further information for residents, see and our Living in France guide: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-france...
    For further information on these requirements, visit the French government’s website on travel conditions for British citizens: https://brexit.gouv.fr/.../modalites-de-voyage-en.html

Is this a Brexit bonus?

Oh, someone ought to tell the Embassy that 'accommodation' still has two M's.
    It's clearly a pain, but defining exactly how much you need should be helpful. No so good for the average backpacker though.

TBH, I think it's unlikely that French border police will be closely inspecting every single UK traveller's documentation, given there's no 'standard format' to inspect, and it would make loading a ferry full of cars a practical impossibility... but such is the toxicity of relations now (some EU nationals being put through the mill by UK border police), I'd take nothing for granted, especially given the Kafkaesque tendency of French bureaucracy.
    Any questioning would target at risk arrivals, so you should be fine. Nevertheless, it's nice to know that meeting the requirements should be as easy as showing a bank balance on your phone.

The difficulty some EU citizens have been having on arrival in the UK has been a failure to answer the basic opening questions: "what is the purpose of your visit" and "how long do you intend to stay". "Looking for work" and "not sure, I don't have a return ticket" are not great responses.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,157

Ffs. Brexit is just the sh!t that keeps on sh!tting

The French didn't have to impose those conditions...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

No, it's true, though they couldn't have imposed these conditions pre-Brexit.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,229
    Stevo_666 said:

Could this have happened without Brexit? Yes or no.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Stevo_666 said:

Fuck me, not another answer the question session.

Will he, won't he? I'm off to the bookies to see what odds I can get.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

It couldn't, but they chose to do it. And as far as I am aware this isn't policy across the EU27 so direct your ire in the direction of Paris.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    So naive
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

• TheBigBean
    Back to an elephant army. Still, the entry requirements to France really aren't that onerous.
  • Stevo_666

So naive

Your self awareness is improving Rick.
  • Stevo_666

Back to an elephant army. Still, the entry requirements to France really aren't that onerous.

I was about to quote you. Some naive people still blame Brexit for nearly everything that any country or institution on the other side of the channel does that is not totally desirable.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

It couldn't, but they chose to do it. And as far as I am aware this isn't policy across the EU27 so direct your ire in the direction of Paris.
    I can blame the uk govt for giving Paris the option to do so, can I not?

• rick_chasey

You are being myopic if you can’t see how Brexit is the root cause of this.

I’d draw you a flow chart if I was on a laptop.

It would start with “is the UK in the EU?l” y= no additional paperwork
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Stevo_666 said:

I was about to quote you. Some naive people still blame Brexit for nearly everything that any country or institution on the other side of the channel does that is not totally desirable.
    You quote that wholen sentence and replace "brexit" for "EU" and that was the position of many Brexiteers before the referendum.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean

As I said, I don't think the rules are particularly outrageous, but if they were e.g. refusing entry based on race, then I wouldn't go for the victim blaming angle of saying that the UK shouldn't have voted for Brexit, and instead I would just criticise France.
  • briantrumpet

As I said, I don't think the rules are particularly outrageous, but if they were e.g. refusing entry based on race, then I wouldn't go for the victim blaming angle of saying that the UK shouldn't have voted for Brexit, and instead I would just criticise France.

No, it's not massive, but its another of the PITA's that Brexit has been the licence for.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

One day you will wake up and realise that not everything is the UKs fault. If anything French relatives should be more annoyed having to go to the mayor's office to get a glib bit of paper to authorise their loved ones visit. Given their liking of a demonstration maybe they should get a few tractors and make their point. Is there much of a problem with destitute UK citizens needing to be deported that the French need to guard against.
  • rick_chasey
    john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

One day you will wake up and realise that not everything is the UKs fault. If anything French relatives should be more annoyed having to go to the mayor's office to get a glib bit of paper to authorise their loved ones visit. Given their liking of a demonstration maybe they should get a few tractors and make their point. Is there much of a problem with destitute UK citizens needing to be deported that the French need to guard against.
    If you give nations an option to be d!ckish, don’t be surprised if they take the option.

You can complain they’re a d!ck if you want but given you control the option and not whether they are a d!cl or not, I’d focus on what you can control.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You certainly can, but it would be missing the point.

Anyhow, just enjoyed watching the all English CL final which somehow seems appropriate :smile:
  • Stevo_666

Rick can't do that.
  • Stevo_666

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

If you give nations an option to be d!ckish, don’t be surprised if they take the option.

You can complain they’re a d!ck if you want but given you control the option and not whether they are a d!cl or not, I’d focus on what you can control.
    Sounds like you admit France are being d1cks. Its a start.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Kind of makes me wish we were in some sort of arrangement that reined in that sort of thing.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Kind of makes me wish we were in some sort of arrangement that reined in that sort of thing.
    D1cks gonna be d1cks. Glad we are free to retaliate.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

How very mature. You know how this ends?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

How very mature. You know how this ends?
    Green and pleasant lands, union jacks, cricket, cups of tea.
    Nobody needs any more than that.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I assume that you are aware that France is merely applying the same regulations on UK citizens that have applied to other 'third countries' outside of the EU for many years. What argument world you use for this not to apply to us?
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

It’s the British citizens who lose out here.