Giro 2021:- Stage 18: Rovereto – Stradella 232 km **Spoilers**

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited May 2021 in Pro race

Stage 18: Rovereto – Stradella 232 km

Thursday, May 27th, 11.35 CEST

The stage travels across the Po Plain, from north to south, on straight and mostly wide roads.

Technical Info:
This is longest stage of the Giro with the first 200 kilometres just like last year, almost pan flat, but the last 31 kilometres serve up three short ascents. Hopefully, they will be enough to avoid a repeat of last year and unlike last year, the weather forecast is good. So, potentially we could end up with an extremely interesting finale. Also, as the stage passes through several urban areas, roundabouts, traffic islands and street furniture will be found along the route, adding stress to a tired peloton.

Final Kilometres

While the last couple of kilometres are straightforward, the preceding ones are rather technical in nature.

The climb:

What to expect:

Expect the breakaway to battle it out, as this stage is sandwiched between four mountain stages. The 18th stage also suits the sprinters, however the work involved in controlling the break over such a distance this late in the day, combined with the series of small climbs at the back end make this scenario unlikely.

Favourites 18th stage 2021 Giro d’Italia

*** Peter Sagan, Diego Ulissi, Rémi Cavagna, Taco van der Hoorn
** Mikkel Honoré, Jan Tratnik, Quinten Hermans, Patrick Bevin
* Andrea Vendrame, Francesco Gavazzi, Juan Sebastián Molano, Dries De Bondt

Rovereto
Nestled between hills and vineyards, Rovereto is the gateway to Trentino. Located in the center of the Adige Valley, along the main connecting road between Verona and Trento. Rovereto has always been a crossroads of cultures, a link between plain and mountain, Italian and German culture. Many illustrious guests have visited the city. The best known is Mozart, who held his first Italian concert in the Church of San Marco. “City of Peace”, Rovereto hosts international museums, including art, history and science.

In addition to refined wines, Vallagarina is also known for its quality products, which give an original and tasty touch to the table. The meats and cured meats: many butchers and farms in the city and in the small villages continue in the tradition of producing, each with its own recipes, luganega (salami from the Trentino valleys) and other typical cured meats.

Tagliatelle con funghi, luganega e panna: fresh tagliatelle is entwined with chestnut mushrooms, Italian Luganega sausage and a rich cream sauce.

Stradella
Stradella is located in Oltrepò Pavese (province of Pavia). Such an area includes both a plain and the northern Appennines hills. Stradella is one of the most important wine industries in Lombardy, as wine is grown on more than 4/5 of its lands. The small yet vibrant city centre hosts a variety of activities, from cafés to restaurants and shops.

Napoleon Bonaparte, first consul, while in Italy stopped at Stradella and asked his cook to prepare him chicken fricassee. Since he couldn’t find butter, he used oil instead. In a hurry and hungry, Napoleon found the chicken delicious and the dish appreciated since then. However, the modern version is likely different, as the recipe changed over time. The so-called chicken ‘alla Stradellina’ is cut into pieces and cooked with fine olive oil, salt, pepper, truffles and herbs. After cooking, a sauce is added, made of gelly and wine from Broni or Canneto, together with seared butter, onion springs and flour.

However, wine is the city’s pride.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Mini MSR
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,465
    Will anyone test Bernal towards the end? I guess not. If its his back that's the problem it'll still be a problem tomorrow when real time can be taken.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    gsk82 said:

Will anyone test Bernal towards the end? I guess not. If its his back that's the problem it'll still be a problem tomorrow when real time can be taken.

Maybe look to today to tire out the Ineos domestiques so he's isolated earlier tomorrow?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    phreak said:

gsk82 said:

Maybe look to today to tire out the Ineos domestiques so he's isolated earlier tomorrow?
    Only way to do that is to get someone high up in gc into the break and no-one else chases. Then when that gets caught, launch another with a different rider high on gc. Not going to happen.

Without that, only bora will care about the break.
  • rick_chasey
    It is nice to have GC battle isn't it?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    edited May 2021
    It's being reported that Giulio Ciccone will be a non-starter this morning.
  • rick_chasey
    Ugh what a shame.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905

It probably helps that it must be ingrained into the psyche of the riders that the Giro repeatedly throws up quite big changes in the GC in the final few stages. It's rare for there to be a precession into Milan.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Break at 24s but coming down fast as lots of teams still keen... 45k down already
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Large break well established now at 5+ mins
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Large break well established now at 5+ mins

Most threatening person on GC at 57 mins so that's probably it.

6'23" now.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    phreak said:

It probably helps that it must be ingrained into the psyche of the riders that the Giro repeatedly throws up quite big changes in the GC in the final few stages. It's rare for there to be a precession into Milan.
    Helped by there being a TT at the end instead of a procession to a sprint finish.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Fond memories of my University days. I studied in Pavia, a few miles away from Stradella and I often cycled to the Oltrepo' area to find some hills. Beautiful area, with vineyards and woodland.
    I had a friend whose dad had a winery in Broni, used to come to parties with a magnum bottle of their Brut sparkling wine...

Happy days
    left the forum March 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    Who thought that having an Addy Engels impressionist in the commentary box was a good idea?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Am I seeing this right? 45 to go and the break at nearly 15 mins..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    gsk82 said:

Bernal to be attacked early Friday or sat or both by everyone bar Caruso as they try and get on the podium. Caruso rides within himself into pink as bernal cracks . Not impossible.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    Hope that was a Lamborghini Tractor...
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    ddraver said:

Am I seeing this right? 45 to go and the break at nearly 15 mins..?

A no sprint flat stage in week 3 was fairly predictable.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    ddraver said:

My neighbour has one...
  • ddraver

ddraver said:

My neighbour has one...
    Case in point...

- @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Kicking off at the front. Actually a few team combinations in the break that could lead to some fun...

(Horrendous pun from Hatch there though 🤢)
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    Cavanga giving it some
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    I doubt they’ll see him again
  • mididoctors
    Roche and bettiol trying to bridge
  • rick_chasey
    Very Giro moto behaviour here.
  • mididoctors
    Really small roads
  • ddraver
    Lovely looking part of Italy....
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Remi to attack on the Cipressa next spring...
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    Cavanga riding away
  • blazing_saddles

Cavanga riding away

Yeah, I was waiting for it.
    Once he had a few seconds it was all over, bar him coming a cropper on a corner somewhere.