Hard of hearing - cannot hear Garmin alerts

I'm wondering how anyone else has managed to work around the issue of being unable to hear the chirrup alerts on a Garmin head unit.

I need 2 hearing aids but don't like cycling with them due to potential damage from rain. I use an Edge 520 and have alerts set to remind me to eat/ drink at regular intervals as I'm now tending to do rides minimum 5 hours but I just can't hear them.

The screen will display an alert but I hardly ever notice them as they are only there for a few seconds.

The 520 can't relay audio alerts through Garmin connect like newer versions do. Do these audio alerts work with say a BT ear bud paired to the phone?

Also thought of a wristband vibration alert but not sure how noticeable this would be in actual ride situations.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Comments

• PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    edited May 2021
    I use a smart phone, so don’t know if your garmin can connect to bt headphones, but if it can, I would recommend some bone conducting headphones, like these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DMDD776/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1YXFBMW4MY75GH8VGPT4
    If the garmin can’t connect, then maybe just connect them to your smart phone while riding. Then setup navigation software on some alarms on there.
  • emanresu
    emanresu Posts: 320
    Can't you just remember to say eat every 45 minutes and then glance at the clock on the garmin every now and again?

It's not that difficult, I do it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,241
    Why do you need reminders to eat and drink? Is this what mankind has come to?
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I must confess I find Garmins bleeping really annoying and turn all the bleeps off. When you pull up around other cyclists and hear a load of Garmins making noises it's just irritating.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

I must confess I find Garmins bleeping really annoying and turn all the bleeps off. When you pull up around other cyclists and hear a load of Garmins making noises it's just irritating.

When i had an 800 the noise was useful for knowing when it was turning itself off unexpectedly. It was a shoite unit. My 810 has been faultless.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566

Agree 100%
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,006
    I do comment that when a few of us set off all you get is click click click click beep beep beep beep
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • mankybianchi
    mankybianchi Posts: 117

Yep I guess so. Each to their own and all that but I find that I'm a bit unaware of the time passing and can be haphazard in taking frequent feeds/drinks, which is not ideal. So I prefer to use a prompt as an aid.

Thanks PMark, I'll have a look at the link.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    At the end of the day unless you are riding stages in a grand tour it doesn’t need to be rocket science. Have drink, eat something and repeat.