Chip in Carbon Fork - action required?

samfailed
samfailed Posts: 82

I've had this chip in my carbon fork for sometime, always thinking it was a cosmetic issue rather than anything structural. I've ridden about 8,000 miles with it in that condition but a fellow rider recently questioned whether it was safe to ride. It's made me a little paranoid, can a small chip really make a carbon fork unsafe? Is it worth sending it somewhere to by repaired or should the whole fork be replaced? Or is it just cosmetic as I thought all along?

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    its fine. its a paint chip. you've ridden 8,000 miles on it.
    other dude is chattingshit.

if you're that worried get some paint on it.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    if you want a smart job doing. Green and black nail varnish applied with a little artists brush.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,624
    The only structural damage is the tiny dark circle right in the middle. The rest is just lacquer, paint, primer and the outer covering of resin. The composite in the fork is probably about 3-5mm thick right there and you've skimmed through a few tens of microns of it.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,624
    lesfirth said:

if you want a smart job doing. Green and black nail varnish applied with a little artists brush.

Or get the whole frame repainted to get rid of the green?
  • samfailed
    samfailed Posts: 82

lesfirth said:

Or get the whole frame repainted to get rid of the green?
    :D:D:D