Which bike frame tape?

Blade180
Blade180 Posts: 70
Hi

I used gorilla tape to protect certain areas of my bike frame from bikepacking bags.
I took one piece of just to see if its ok.

Some residue of glue was there, managed to scrub of with microfiber towel although it took a while.

I hear helicopter 3m tape is better and will not leave any residue.

Is this true?

Thanks

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    all tape is adhesive backed so all tape will leave residue.

how much depends on a) luck, b) how you take the tape off, c) how you prepped the frame before putting the tape on d) what you use to get adhesive residue off.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Blade180
    Blade180 Posts: 70
    Okay, fair enough.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    I used helicopter tape 7 years ago. I just checked to see if it still there and it is. I don't even see it when I clean my bike. Gorilla tape and helicopter have different application. Helicopter tape is designed to protect against chips. I would imagine gorilla adhesive is much stronger hence the residue. When fitting heat the tape with a hairdryer and it goes on much easier. You can also take it off by heating it with a hairdryer and I think it leaves very little residue if any. Don't know any reason to use Gorilla over heli tape outside the price.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Just checked my eBay history, bought the tape from the seller below. They also have a guide on their website.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/paragontapes/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Tessa 54994 helicopter tape. Leaving it on a radiator for a while makes it easier to put on. It will stretch a bit so it is easier to put on than 3M . Leaves very little adhesive on the frame when removed.
    When removing helicopter tape leave the bike somewhere warm but do not warm the tape with hot air. It softens the bond between the tape and the adhesive layer making the adhesive more likely stay stuck to the frame when you pull the tape off.