Giro 2021:- Stage 14: Cittadella – Monte Zoncolan 204 km **Spoilers**

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741

Stage 14: Cittadella – Monte Zoncolan 204 km

Saturday, May 22nd, 11.30 CEST

From the town of Cittadella the peloton will head north-east towards the Friuli region and it's date with the infamous Monte Zoncolan. Cittadella lies approximately 50 kilometres northwest of Venezia.

The stage design is pretty standard, with a long flat opening before the climbing begins in earnest, after two thirds of the route has been covered.

Technical Info:
This mountain stage is divided into two parts: it starts flat and continues on a slight incline for 130 km, all the way to Monte Rest. The route then weaves through a brace of hairpins, on narrowed roadway, both on the way up and on the way down. After going back on broader roads in Priuso, the route passes Tolmezzo and Arta Terme, reaching the foot of the closing climb. Monte Zoncolan (GPM1, 14.1 km at 8.5%) from the Sutrio side has only been climbed once, in 2003. It was in fact the first time the Zoncolan had been raced and is memorable for Marco Pantani's last notable performance on a bike.

The climbs:

Castello di Caneva: GPM4, 3.4 km at 3.8%

Forcella di Monte Rest (GPM2, 10.5 km at 5.9%)

Monte Zoncolan: GPM1, 14.1 km at 8.5%

The first 11 km ascend in hairpins, on wide roads, with gradients around 7-8%, whereas the last 3 km are very demanding.

Final Kilometres
The last 3 km rise sharply on narrow road with only a few bends, and gradients often exceeding 20% (averaging 13%). The pitch over the final kilometre largely hovers around the 18% mark, with gradients exceeding 25% and topping out at 27% both along the hairpins and in the final stretch. The last 50 metres are on tarmac road and on a slight incline.

What to expect:
A triumph at Monte Zoncolan is of added value on any palmares, so we should expect the GC riders to go for it. Of course there is always the possibility that the teams with pink on their minds don’t want to control the race to begin with. In that case, the best breakaway climber will take the spoils.

Favourites 14th stage 2021 Giro d’Italia

*** Simon Yates, Egan Bernal, Aleksandr Vlasov
** Emanuel Buchmann, Daniel Martin, Hugh Carthy, Bauke Mollema, George Bennett
* Damiano Caruso, Romain Bardet, Jai Hindley, Remco Evenepoel, Pello Bilbao, Ruben Guerreiro

Cittadella
Cittadella is a splendid medieval walled town. It was founded in 1220 when Padua decided to build a fortified castle “ex novo” in the central Venetian plains in order to protect its country borders. Cittadella is the only walled city in all of Europe to have a medieval, elliptical, fully walkable parapet.

In Cittadella and the surrounding area, there is great respect for ancient culinary traditions. Polenta in all its possible forms plays the leading role: yellow, white and even sweet cake “La polenta di Cittadella” a typical dessert with origins dating back to the 1850’s.

A typical aperitif that can only be enjoyed in Cittadella is the “Mezoevo”: made up of Strega liqueur, “Mezzo e Mezzo” Nardini, soda water and fresh mint leaves, it is dedicated to the writer Hemingway who came to Cittadella to drink Strega liqueur during his service in the First World War.

Monte Zoncolan
Sutrio is located in Valle del Bût, one of the Carnian valleys, described in Carducci’s poetry, only few kilometers from the Austrian border.
Sutrio constitutes one of the best-equipped ski areas in Friuli Venezia Giulia thanks to Mount Zoncolan. The village presents itself as a traditional alpine suburb, made of cobbled streets and ancient houses characterized by wooden and stone-built open galleries and balconies.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I think there should be a GT climbers Triple Crown of stage wins on Zoncolan, Ventoux and Angliru. I know two haven't been on the schedule for long, but it'll be a modern thing.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2021
    Simoni has won on the Angliru and both sides of the Zoncolan.
    A Macron free triple crown
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    RichN95. said:

I think there should be a GT climbers Triple Crown of stage wins on Zoncolan, Ventoux and Angliru. I know two haven't been on the schedule for long, but it'll be a modern thing.

Not quite the same thing and I was simply trying finish, not race, but having done virtual climbs of the suggested three I'd say the Pico de Veleta trumps them all.
    If you are forming a triple crown then the Angliru isn't the hardest in Spain imo.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    RichN95. said:

Run them as hill climb TTs. I'd watch.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    edited May 2021

That's quite the achievement. Garzeli casagrande and simioni look so fat in that photo compared to the current crop
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    RichN95. said:

Shouldn't the Mortirolo be in that as well or is the Zoncolan so much harder?

Picked Yates to finally show something tomorrow, but since it's probably raining, he is probably going to go and cry in a corner again. 😉🙄
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    m.r.m. said:

RichN95. said:

No idea. Although Climbbybike rates it as harder (from the harder side). Tomorrow is the 'softer' side. Zoncolan seems more famous to me. The Stelvio is more famous than both but, like the Galibier, is rarely the finish.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Ventoux seems the odd one out there - not sure what he French equivalent of would be though.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    edited May 2021
    Alpe d'Huez then surely?!

But I think Ventoux is more iconic.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

Not quite the same thing and I was simply trying finish, not race, but having done virtual climbs of the suggested three I'd say the Pico de Veleta trumps them all.
    If you are forming a triple crown then the Angliru isn't the hardest in Spain imo.
    You can't compare climbs based on riding them on a virtual platform with the actual real thing. There are so many factors that go into making a climb hard aside from the gradient, like road surface, altitude, wind, etc.

Racing up them is also very, very different from just riding up them too.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215

Ventoux seems the odd one out there - not sure what he French equivalent of would be though.

I was thinking the same, struggling to think of a French equivalent that has the combination of length and gradient.
  • pblakeney
    andyp said:

pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

You can't compare climbs based on riding them on a virtual platform with the actual real thing. There are so many factors that go into making a climb hard aside from the gradient, like road surface, altitude, wind, etc.

Racing up them is also very, very different from just riding up them too.
    "Not quite the same thing and I was simply trying finish, not race..."

Thanks for repeating what I said.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    m.r.m. said:

RichN95. said:

IIRC the Mortirolo is shorter and the steep bits less steep than the Zoncolan.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2021

Most French climbs are long and comparatively less steep, Galibier etc.
    Alpe d' Huez is the perfect length to race up but the Ventoux is harder.
    Tourmalet? Just imo obviously. Nice subject to debate.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236

That's quite the achievement. Garzeli casagrande and simioni look so fat in that photo compared to the current crop
    Look how baggy Simoni’s jersey is
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892

Didn't Simoni win the Peyresourde stage in 2003?
  • blazing_saddles
    pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

If you are going to go there, then neither is the Zoncolan the hardest climb in Italy. That title goes to the Scanuppia.

https://pjammcycling.com/climb/2.Scanuppia

As for Alpe d'Huez, here's 100 climbs better in Europe. (although it depends how you define better)

https://www.cycling-challenge.com/100-cycling-climbs-better-than-alpe-dhuez/
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

If they rode Pico Veleta all the way to the top then yes, but the road to the barrier is not that hard, just long. The gradient picks up after the barrier, but obviously the road surface gets progressively worse. Maybe if they ran the race up there it might encourage the region to actually make it ridable for the last few km.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

If you are going to go there, then neither is the Zoncolan the hardest climb in Italy. That title goes to the Scanuppia.

As for Alpe d'Huez, here's 100 climbs better in Europe. (although it depends how you define better)

Good point, well made.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    phreak said:

pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

If they rode Pico Veleta all the way to the top then yes, but the road to the barrier is not that hard, just long. The gradient picks up after the barrier, but obviously the road surface gets progressively worse. Maybe if they ran the race up there it might encourage the region to actually make it ridable for the last few km.

That's one of the benefits/downsides of virtual riding, the surface doesn't matter.
    I'm sure they could pave it if they had the right incentive.

Great topic!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • No_Ta_Doctor

pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

I don't think the triple crown idea requires the climbs to be the hardest, more that they're iconic.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    Only just realised this is over 200km. That's a tough day.

Fwiw, Angliru and Zoncolan are clearly the two famous "impossible" climbs, and France just doesn't have one similar. I guess they tried with that airport one.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    Col de la Loze above Meribel has to be one of the toughest in the French alps - plenty of double digit pitches at over 2,000 m.
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2021
    pblakeney said:

Most French climbs are long and comparatively less steep, Galibier etc.
    Alpe d' Huez is the perfect length to race up but the Ventoux is harder.
    Tourmalet? Just imo obviously. Nice subject to debate.

I just think that Ventoux with it's unique look and it's history (Simpson etc) give it a certain aura. Alpe d'Huez may be more famous but I don't think anyone would say it was especially hard. And I personally dislike it.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876

pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

The Cycling Challenge is a great link!

• blazing_saddles
    Yes, and on that subject, I suppose it could be worse......

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    edited May 2021

This would be normal even 10 years ago.

Standards are slipping
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Re the climbs I'd guess there are some super steep ones in the French Alps or French Pyrenees but the Tour doesn't use them.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130

This would be normal even 10 years ago.

Standards are slipping
    Zoncolan has never been at the end of a longer stage than today.