GCN Plus App

Is anyone else having a problem with the GCN+ app? It was working fine until yesterday when it developed a strange fault - when watching a race replay video the progress bar that allows you to move to different points in the video works ok until I Chromecast to my tv when this bar changes to only displaying the amount of the video you have actually watched, so no way of moving it on......

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Nope, it's fine for me.

Have you toyed with the phone irientation or tried the usual uninstall/re-install?

Mine is android.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Orientation makes no difference , have restarted phone, will try a uninstall and reinstall
  • Reinstalling makes no difference either.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    I've had the same problem. It seems niggly in general when casting. Fortunately I still have eurosport for a few more weeks.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • At least it is not just me !
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I saw it launched on Fire stick and so have been using it on Amazon.

• I've switched to using the Firestick app and it's great. I've never found casting or airplay to be particularly reliable from any app, not just the GCN one.
  • The GCN app is the only one that I have problems with the Chromecast, works fine with everything else!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

The GCN app is the only one that I have problems with the Chromecast, works fine with everything else!

Same for me. Unfortunately my eurosport subscription runs out in a couple of weeks so I either have to stump up again for that or make do with gcn working about half the time.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • I raised a issue with GCN IT department and they said they are now looking at it....not holding my breath though !
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441

I raised a issue with GCN IT department and they said they are now looking at it....not holding my breath though !

I raised the same question about two months ago with gcn , I’m still waiting for it to be resolved, it looks like I will be buying Eurosport In June
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,599
    To move the conversation on slightly from gripes about casting, what do people think about the films they've added in the last couple of months?

I've enjoyed the Legends episodes on the whole and I really like the bike packing one in Spain. Not such a fan of the Mark Beaumont one and Adam Blythes jerseys was a bit too niche for me
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Erm...to be completely honest Ive forgotten about them.

It would be good if they were a bit more diverse than long GCN YouTube vids, but I don't use it for that I guess so... 🤷‍♀️
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • To move the conversation on slightly from gripes about casting, what do people think about the films they've added in the last couple of months?

I've enjoyed the Legends episodes on the whole and I really like the bike packing one in Spain. Not such a fan of the Mark Beaumont one and Adam Blythes jerseys was a bit too niche for me

I like them, and I've even had my non cycling partner enjoying some of the more travel documentary style ones (Rwanda, Spain, Columbia etc)
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Need a GMBN+ channel for the non World Cup MTB events......
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,599

To move the conversation on slightly from gripes about casting, what do people think about the films they've added in the last couple of months?

I like them, and I've even had my non cycling partner enjoying some of the more travel documentary style ones (Rwanda, Spain, Columbia etc)
    Same, my missus has sat and watched some. Similarly enjoyed the documentary ones
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited May 2021
    Me and my wife watched the Mark Beaumont ones, I think she preferred the Africa one to the round the world in 80 days - she isn't usually a fan of "people doing stupid/dangerous things for the sake of it" type ones, especially when they're trying to break pointless records and it all goes tits up. Her response is "well just stop doing it then". Whereas the Africa one is a bit more of a travelogue as well. The Colombia gravel one was good too.

I watched the penny farthing ones too.
  • Just had response from GCN+ and the software glitch has been fixed, so can move videos back and forth whilst Chromecasting.
    Fair play to GCN , they fixed the issue.
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Well I switch to GCN+ today after Eurosport ran out...
    Not impressed at all... Cant get Chromecast to work and also cant forward the stream either which seems like similar issue to what you guys have had before...
    App on the firestick looks OK but most times im using my phone to cast it to another tv ...
  • Chromecast works fine with GCN on my Android phone.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Now on Apple TV....

Only had a brief play around - seems you can't fast forward very quickly e.g. if you want to get to the last hour of a 3 hour programme (missed LBL so thought that would be a good test of the app)

Great improvement on having to cast though, which always seemed to trip out for me.
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 447
    No problems for me with Chromecast and an Android phone.

The Legends : Mike Burrows film is brilliant, a must watch.
  • pmannion9
    Mine seem to be working OK now but there are still some things that dont work very well.
    On Chromecast via RaceTV - cannot seem to pause the LIVE race - or if it does it only for a very short period - Eurosport Player allowed this ...
    On Chromecast via RaceTV - If you join a LIVE and an event id over you cant seem to remind to start away to watch it ? Looks like you have to wait until it is available on demand ...
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 221
    Had no end of problems with the GCN app. Really should cancel payment, since it is basically unusable for me.
  • pmannion9
    Its not great all right...
    Is there a cycling version of the Eurosport Player still ie Discovery + ?
    Or do you have to pay far more for it ?
    I only want to watch the racing really - the other documentaries i relay don't get time to watch...or even forget they are there !!!
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    edited May 2022
    I think the cheapest way to get it is still GCN+ - £6.99 a month or £39.99 for the year.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591
    edited May 2022
    I just looked to check that Eurosport Player wasn't available anymore. It isn't.
    What is more disappointing is that on Discovery you have to choose your device.
    I can currently use ES on either my laptop, phone or Apple TV as I choose. Major loss.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    pmannion9 said:

I only want to watch the racing really - the other documentaries i relay don't get time to watch...or even forget they are there !!!

I had a quick look and as far as can tell, it's still possible to subscribe to the Eurosport player for £39-99, without forking out nearly twice as much for Discovery+.

https://auth.eurosportplayer.com/product
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    edited May 2022
    pblakeney said:

I just looked to check that Eurosport Player wasn't available anymore. It isn't.
    What is more disappointing is that on Discovery you have to choose your device.
    I can currently use ES on either my laptop, phone or Apple TV as I choose. Major loss.

I'm assuming you mean watching simultaneously? Can have up to 4 devices registered but only the one can be used at a time. Complete carp I know in these modern times.

EDIT Scrap that. They have updated stuff. Currently able to watch on 3 different devices at the moment (only have 3 to test with).
    https://help.discoveryplus.com/hc/en-us/articles/360055666994-Simultaneous-streams
  • pmannion9

pmannion9 said:

I had a quick look and as far as can tell, it's still possible to subscribe to the Eurosport player for £39-99, without forking out nearly twice as much for Discovery+.

https://auth.eurosportplayer.com/product
    I'm sure when my 12 month had expired about 2 months I couldn't sign up to it and all links went to Discovery website....